cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Knapper, let`s put our heads together on guns

First of all in the other long in the tooth, high-jacked thread, the postition you seem to have is `to keep your modest gun collection legal, you are willing to grant some concessions to the 2nd amendment`..is that pretty much your position?   Well, you can`t appease bullies by giving in to them and make NO mistake 0bama, Feinstein, Schummer, etal are BULLIES!  If you give them your milk money today they will demand your lunch money tomorrow and you do their homework the next day.  You might as well fight back from the start, because they won`t quit until they`ve bled you dry. 

Here is a list of concessions on guns that I could live with and at the end I will give the only small thing that I would ask in return.  On background checks, In Iowa to buy a pistol there`s a 3 day wait while the Sheriff checks your background for 3 days, then if you pass he gives you a "handgun buyers permit" good for 1 year.  With that buyers permit, you can go to the gun shop and buy any and all pistols that you want and can afford for 1 year, he doesn`t care if you buy 3 Glocks, 12 Smith &Wessons  and 14 H&Ks..no one gives a crap, cause you passed the back ground check.  How `bout that for a national back ground check? If I have a .22 bolt action rifle for sale and you want to buy it from me legally, you show me your 1 year buyers permit and I sell it to you on the argeed upon price and legally I am off the hook, cause I saw your 1 yr buyers permit, all the ATF knows is "Knapper has a buyers permit" and that`s all they need to know, no damned registration that will make confiscation easy later Smiley Happy

On magazine size, I could live with a ban on magazines over 20 rounds, I know "they" want 10 round, but I say "20" is good enough....hey as it is now there is no limit, so I`m giving up alot here.

And of course do what we need for more security in schools, help parents with mentally unstable kids, maybe run public service commercials on gun safety, like the seatbelt and no smoking commercials.

All I ask is those concessions are "forged in titanium" to NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER get more stricter, I don`t care what happens...10,000 Columbines THOSE LAWS WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER GET STRICTER!!!!!!!  

There, see?  I am not unreasonable.  I`m not asking for banana clips and howitzers, tanks and bazookas.  I put forth sensible compromises, I probably went too far, but I`m a old softy.  I know one thing for damned sure, the guns grabbers would never concede anywhere near what I have because the only thing that will shut them the hell up is a total confiscation.

6 Replies
Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Re: Knapper, let`s put our heads together on guns

Amazing!!!
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

@BA Deere wrote:

First of all in the other long in the tooth, high-jacked thread, the postition you seem to have is `to keep your modest gun collection legal, you are willing to grant some concessions to the 2nd amendment`..is that pretty much your position?   Well, you can`t appease bullies by giving in to them and make NO mistake 0bama, Feinstein, Schummer, etal are BULLIES!  If you give them your milk money today they will demand your lunch money tomorrow and you do their homework the next day.  You might as well fight back from the start, because they won`t quit until they`ve bled you dry. 

Here is a list of concessions on guns that I could live with and at the end I will give the only small thing that I would ask in return.  On background checks, In Iowa to buy a pistol there`s a 3 day wait while the Sheriff checks your background for 3 days, then if you pass he gives you a "handgun buyers permit" good for 1 year.  With that buyers permit, you can go to the gun shop and buy any and all pistols that you want and can afford for 1 year, he doesn`t care if you buy 3 Glocks, 12 Smith &Wessons  and 14 H&Ks..no one gives a crap, cause you passed the back ground check.  How `bout that for a national back ground check? If I have a .22 bolt action rifle for sale and you want to buy it from me legally, you show me your 1 year buyers permit and I sell it to you on the argeed upon price and legally I am off the hook, cause I saw your 1 yr buyers permit, all the ATF knows is "Knapper has a buyers permit" and that`s all they need to know, no damned registration that will make confiscation easy later Smiley Happy

On magazine size, I could live with a ban on magazines over 20 rounds, I know "they" want 10 round, but I say "20" is good enough....hey as it is now there is no limit, so I`m giving up alot here.

And of course do what we need for more security in schools, help parents with mentally unstable kids, maybe run public service commercials on gun safety, like the seatbelt and no smoking commercials. This is the only part I agree with you on this.  The rest is rhetoric from a paranoid gun nut.

All I ask is those concessions are "forged in titanium" to NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER get more stricter, I don`t care what happens...10,000 Columbines THOSE LAWS WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER GET STRICTER!!!!!!!  

There, see?  I am not unreasonable.  I`m not asking for banana clips and howitzers, tanks and bazookas.  I put forth sensible compromises, I probably went too far, but I`m a old softy.  I know one thing for damned sure, the guns grabbers would never concede anywhere near what I have because the only thing that will shut them the hell up is a total confiscation.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Many states have a three-day waiting period while "background" checks are being performed. As far as I am aware, the only check is listed below and comes from the so called Brady Act. It's an NCIS check and only takes a few seconds based on filling out a short form, making a call and looking at an ID. The three day waiting period is so that someone will be less likely to for example be in an agrument with someone, go buy a gun, then go and shoot the person they are arguing with. There is no extensive check.

Here's mostly what is required right now and may vary in certain states:

The following list of prohibited persons are ineligible to own firearms under the Brady Handgun Violence Act.

• Those convicted of felonies and certain misdemeanors except where state law reinstates rights, or removes disability.
  • Fugitives from justice
  • Unlawful users of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs
  • Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution and currently containing a dangerous mental illness.
  • Non-US citizens, unless permanently immigrating into the U.S. or in possession of a hunting license legally issued in the U.S.
  • Undocumented Immigrants
  • Those who have renounced U.S. citizenship
  • Minors defined as under the age of eighteen for long guns and the age of twenty-one for handguns, with the exception of Vermont, eligible at age sixteen.
  • Persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (an addition)
  • Persons under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year are ineligible to receive, transport, or ship any firearm or ammunition

Those who already own firearms would normally be required to relinquish them upon conviction.

The records that they check may or may not be up to date. Mentally unstable people are often not recorded in any offical database. 

As for magazines, I think ten is a good number.Perhaps if someone feels that is insufficient, they should learn to shoot better or tape their clips and to end.

The key difference is I see firearms as 1 - something to hunt with 2. Something to target practice with and 3. Something for personal protection. For you and many people like you, you would have to add 4 - Something to overthrow a government with - or something akin to that possibly on a lesser level or greater.

If we could make buying a firearm at least as responsible and accountable as the information we collect, that would be a big improvement. If the databeses of criminals, mental problems and arrests were a sure thing, that would be great too. It's not working as is.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

When you say `those that need more than a 10rd mag need to shoot better`  How about the Army, are you making fun of a soldier`s shooting ability?  How about them clowns dressed up like Darth Vader in Boston chasing the 2 Moslems, should they have been limited to a 10rd mag?  How big of a magazine is a drone http://rt.com/usa/us-domestic-drones-armed-090/ capable of firing?   As I`ve said many times, magazines schmagazines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5djBVWGQsE  That bird has flown my friend Smiley Very Happy

Why is this? http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/justice/guns-background-check  only 1% of background checks are rejected.  Suppose "they" wouldn`t mind a few falling through the cracks, to keep a "acceptable amount of violence" to keep the gun control issue alive?

I`ve asked this question of liberals many times and it is always ignored and never answered and i`m sure it won`t be answered this time either:  Heroin and cocaine are illegal, yet those that want the stuff can seem to get it without trouble, so how can you ever keep guns out of the bad guy`s hands?  What we should have learnt is that evil people do evil things, a kitchen pressure cooker in the wrong hands is deadly. 

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

What would you do if there was so much wholesale slaughter that guns needed to be confiscated. That your locality was loaded with drive byshootings or snipers tasrgeting you and your family from the overpasses?

10000 columbines and you still wouldn't want to address the poliferation of guns. Your guns are more important to you than all other aspects of society. Do you think one with logic ought to be armed to the teeth or should that give your friends and neighbors pause?

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

When you say `those that need more than a 10rd mag need to shoot better`  How about the Army, are you making fun of a soldier`s shooting ability?  How about them clowns dressed up like Darth Vader in Boston chasing the 2 Moslems, should they have been limited to a 10rd mag? You are the one who just made fun of the Army, not me. They, the military, also has a switch to full auto capability - you can't get that legally. Police Swat teams have a lot of gear you can't get. Are you to be able to own all that stuff yourself as well? Big deal if you ask me. I really see no compelling reason for an average citizen to have high capacity magazines. Can you give me a few reasons other than you want it? How big of a magazine is a drone http://rt.com/usa/us-domestic-drones-armed-090/ capable of firing? What does a drone have to do with any of this discussion, really, what?  As I`ve said many times, magazines schmagazines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5djBVWGQsE  That bird has flown my friend :smileyvery-happy: I don't have the capability to watch You Tube, sorry.

Why is this? http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/justice/guns-background-check  only 1% of background checks are rejected.  Suppose "they" wouldn`t mind a few falling through the cracks, to keep a "acceptable amount of violence" to keep the gun control issue alive? According to the FBI,  "More than 100 million such checks have been made in the last decade, leading to more than 700,000 denials." Statistics are a fine thing, sure the percentage is low, but how many people does it take to commit some horrible crime. If it stops one very bad person, that's fine with me. What is it you want anyway? No check, no questions asked? It seems like you are insinuating that. That would make it harder to buy sudafed than to buy a gun -it's pretty close now except no waiting period.

I`ve asked this question of liberals many times and it is always ignored and never answered and i`m sure it won`t be answered this time either:  Heroin and cocaine are illegal, yet those that want the stuff can seem to get it without trouble, so how can you ever keep guns out of the bad guy`s hands?  What we should have learnt is that evil people do evil things, a kitchen pressure cooker in the wrong hands is deadly. Kind of a stupid question really. Illegal firearms always have been and always will be available to anyone who wants to buy them and can make the right contacts. The fewer available, the better for us and the less sophisticated the better for us citizens. The only thing we can do is to make it against the law and have tough punishment for anyone using a firearm in a crime. Make most drugs legal and quit worrying about those guys and double your efforts pursuing and prosceuting criminals who use guns. Target under the table arms dealers. If they went after them like they do drugs, there might be a lot fewer unregistered firearms around. There is no simple solution and If I was the guy who would be able to come up with an idea, I wouldn't be here most likely.

Like I said, I really don't know what you want unless it anarchy.