cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Krugman: Free to Die

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/16/opinion/krugman-free-to-die.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

"In the past, conservatives accepted the need for a government-provided safety net on humanitarian grounds. Don’t take it from me, take it from Friedrich Hayek, the conservative intellectual hero, who specifically declared in “The Road to Serfdom” his support for “a comprehensive system of social insurance” to protect citizens against “the common hazards of life,” and singled out health in particular."

Important to understand how much the current fights are about a social identity civil war and how little about traditional conservative thought.

40 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Krugman: Free to Die

Darn, by your title I thought they were taking Krugo off life support.
Highlighted
Advisor

Again,

Important to understand how much the current fights are about a social identity war and how little about tradtional conservative thought.

Highlighted
Advisor

This really is a total bull**bleep** debate and. I'm surprised you let a shill like Krugo drag you into it. The debate is not about some 20 yo in an auto accident, its about the cost of the last few months of an elderly persons life. If you think government medicine is going to be about keeping the elderly alive as long as there is any possible treatment I've got a Greek island to sell you. Krugo is just hoping to score a few cheap points, well tip to you, that's the only ones he can get. Hope your kids are not ones who get sent into his WW3 for economic salvation.
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Krugman has no problem with people dieing waiting in government lines to get free government care. It is personal responsibility that people were cheering in Paul's answer, not that some one might die. I have news for ya, people die in Great Britian under free government health care also.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@bruce MN wrote:

Again,

Important to understand how much the current fights are about a social identity war and how little about tradtional conservative thought.

Who are the 2 sides in this one?

Highlighted

But they do it economically.

And the NHS is very popular in Great Britain.

There was an interesting piece on National Commie Radio a while back about a lung cancer drug that had been approved in the US. It cost a bunch and the outcome was that it extended life by 6 months on average.

British NHS refused to approve it for payment and several people affected were interviewed. They all said they understood the deal.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I think that's the difference between serfs and Americans.  Those living in GB are used to being second class citizens.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@wehav wrote:

I think that's the difference between serfs and Americans.  Those living in GB are used to being second class citizens.

Think about that wehav.

In Britian everybody gets healthcare and in the US those with $$ get an expensive health care and those without $$ do without.

Where is the class system?

Highlighted
Advisor

Does the queen wait in line?