cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox
Advisor

Re: Epidemic of non-workers in the USA

As the US turns inward and no longer enforces the post WWII mercantile order, domestic sources of critical items like energy and fertilizer become an urgent matter of national security.

Lots of jobs from onshoring those two industries.

And I'm sure that patriots will gladly bear the burden in blood, sweat and tears in order to regain our sovereignty.

To make up at least partway for the shrinkage of US grain and livestock exports you could uncap the ethanol blending limit and let the market opportunistically bid more ethanol against the substantially higher oil price.

With lower domestic livestock production and tariffs on exports, getting rid of the distillers might get to be a bit of a problem though.

But if oil returns to around $80 and you tack on a 30% tariff, that probably supports corn in the $4 range even with a low distillers price. With $700 P2O5 and K2O you should still be able to stay in business on that.*

*my assumption, which I think is fair, is that since the US still imports around half our oil that the domestic price would seek out the world price plus tariff. Drill baby drill.

That's actually a very good thing, potentially. As I've always said, I'm in favor of fracking up the country and burning whatever if it is in an effort to bridge to the post-oil future, otherwise it is folly. $4 gasoline and the falling price of renewables would create another boom, along with a return of frack 'til you die.

Almost too big of a boom from too may places all at once- we'll quickly have to start re-importing workers but this time we can microchip them, put 'em in company towns where they can only buy from the company store and thus we get it all back etc.

And when the boom from the great buildout has run its course you can send them home.

It doesn't get any better than that.

Or alternatively, the substantial roiling of the waters creates a global financial crisis and we go nowhere other than the poorhouse.

But I like happy thoughts better. And if "it can't get any worse so do something", what the heck?

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

The only problem with what i`m proposing is alot of people would have to be on board with it and made some short term sacrifices and maybe a year or two would be bumpy.  Look at Brexit, they are in for a tough row to hoe and alot of powerful people want to make an example of them failing.

Look at the movers and shakers of Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Jeff Bezos, Elon Musks and stuff they would not want the United States becoming nationalistic.  There are too many globalists that have become billionaires off of free trade, they wouldn`t want that scam to change.  The poor clown masses don`t want the risk of the unknown and uncertainty of their entitlements cut or eliminated, the 10¢ millionaires that get government contracts to paint public housing and such don`t want their golden goose chopped...too many crooks with too many fingers in the pie.

But I can get the satisfaction of crowing like a rooster about what needs to be done with the sad knowledge that the sun won`t rise for another 12 hours.

hardnox
Advisor

Or you could just be like Sam Brownback, patiently waiting for the boom while you're goin' bust.

And like Sam, you could just claim that you didn't lose the game, the clock just ran out while you were behind.

Or.....Thanks, Obama.

I assume that the tech industry would be highly vulnerable- they really don't have anything at all other than legal protections from patents and copyrights on IP. I assume the Chinese could reverse engineer an i-phone in a matter of days and have FoxConn cranking them out in a few months.

And given that the actual cost of production is around $60 and the rest of it is all IP, they can undersell for huge profit everywhere in the world except the US or anywhere that adheres to trade agreements.

Maybe couldn't happen to a nicer bunch but here's the sort of places where it gets tricky- a substantial amount of our national "wealth" is contained therein.

That isn't just Tim Cook's money it is every private, state and municipal pension fund, 401K insurance company etc.

For better or worse, Brexit was engineered by some opportunistic pols, tabloid papers and a bunch of soccer hooligans. Now somebody has to actually deal with the details.

HortonGordelson
Senior Contributor

The govenment has the capacity to create massive civil unrest with just the click of a mouse.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

BA; did you really do your homework on those tire tariffs or do yu just believe it was good?

The greatest number of jobs created was 1200 and it could be argued all those did not occur because of the tariff.

The cost per job was approaching $200,000.

Do the math and then make your argument for why you should pay more for your tires than what the world price is.

BTW don't forget the chicken that did not get sold to China.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Nox; as long as you are going back to the 'good old days' with tariffs to protect everything then I think you should also go back to the tax rates from those days.

I am sure BA would not mind paying higher taxes as well as the higher priced tires.

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

I'll just buy Black Market tires, thank you. Or, go back to steel wheels. 

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Canuck the tire tariff wasn`t even a "good start", it was a talking point for Obama.  It`s like if you go to the doctor with a ailment and get prescribed a bottle of pills to take "3 a day for 2 weeks"...well, if you take one pill out of that bottle of 42 and cut it in half and swallow it and that`s the only medicine that you take.  Can you then blame the medicine for not working?

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

No American minds paying taxes as long as they have the money to pay and they see that their money isn`t being wasted.  I wouldn`t mind the 70%-90% tax brackets of the 50`s, BUT I want the same and adjusted for inflation DEDUCTIONS.  If you have tariffs on imported goods, that helps your domestic economy and workers.  The tariff levels the playing field so American workers aren`t competing head to head with basically overseas slave labor.  If your country competes directly with a slave laber, currency manipulating country, sooner or later your country will have the SAME standard of living as the 3rd world crap hole.  And that is EXACTLY what we are seeing with the disappearance of the US middle class. 

The jobs we lost do not make up for the service based jobs that have replaced them, also Mexicans have taken many of them.  A economy ran on below living wages and illegal alien workers leads to a country where half the workers do not pay income tax.  The half that don`t pay federal income tax are hoodwinked into voting for Democrats that never improve their lot in life, meanwhile the tax burden gets heavier for those of us that do pay taxes.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Hey, it made Townhall too

Mona Charen writes about the dropouts from the American workforce.

http://townhall.com/columnists/monacharen/2016/06/24/men-at-work--or-not-n2182799

Guess I am not the only one noticing.