cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Land of the Free?

@UNIranch wrote:

I know that is the story that folks like to point at  but the fact remains that the coal mines that don't have a coal fired plant on site can't compete with natural gas...those are the companies that are in trouble...gas is cheaper and simple economics tell these coal fire plants to update to use NG..it's cheaper and the extraction costs are way less...the externalities are simply way better for NG than coal...the mines that are in trouble only sell coal...no electrical generation....no different than farming...we deal with regs all the time...when a certain crop doesn't pencil we diversify...coal mines didn't keep up with the times....just like today in farming...if I don't keep up with times I will get left behind and not be able to compete...but by all means 3020 keep with the bumper sticker slogan...it's pretty shallow tho

Coal can't compete when you pass regulations that shut down coal fired power plants.

northnd
Senior Contributor

The coal gasification process was developed over 150 years ago and has been perfected over time to produce many products from coal including natural gas, fertilizer(NH3,AMS,Urea, etc.) as well as using the coal for electrical generation.  The heated water from steam generation is used by U.S. Fish and Wildlife for game fish production.  There are enough coal reserves for several hundred years at current useage rates.  Coal and other fossil fuels along with wind, solar, hydrothermal, etc should all be a part of our energy production.  Environment groups are balking at wind generation around my parts because of problems with wind towers affecting migratory(ducks + geese) and predatory(eagles+hawks) birds.  Solar panels have some rather toxic substances in them, and electric vehicles require batteries that are toxic to produce and recycle(cadmium, lithium, etc).  So no energy source is without its problems.

Polaris Racer
Senior Contributor

Re: Tennessee Absolutely

Looks like the Naggers are the problem.

hardnox
Advisor

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2016/04/corporate-media-gatekeepers-protect-western-1-from-p...

Yes, there's a lot of that economic freedom going on.

The new big global money destinations- Nevada, Wyoming, South Dakota. I'm surprised Brownback hasn't put out the welcome sign for those Good People yet.

hardnox
Advisor

In fairness though, the post Thatcher UK model was mostly about making the City of London the playground for all the world's dirty folks (OK, in fairness they drew a line at the very lowest level, if somebody got a whiff) and generally winning the race to the bottom on financial regulation.

Freedom!

As far as  people messing with of our our 80s illusions go, the next thing they'll be telling us is that Pope John Paul II was carrying on with a married woman.

hardnox
Advisor

BTW, since I brought it up, I can't know the nature of JPII's relationship with Mrs. Timeiniecka and frankly don't care.

But given that her husband was a well connected Republican (CEA in the Nixon Admin) it would be better than a wild guess that she was the CIA go between with Casey.

Hey, look over there.

As far as the Law of Unintended Consequences goes, the destruction of the SU was God's Work but it did mark the point where the Deep State completely grabbed the US by our short and curlies.