cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Polaris Racer
Senior Contributor

Re: Left smelling the coffee

We hang conservatives that do wrong. You lefties put your guilty members on a pedestal.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Re:The purpose of collegiate oratory

Read the article.

hardnox
Advisor

True in as a far as a lot of departments go- particularly social sciences, liberal arts etc., and among administrators. And it is particularly true concerning matters of race and gender- which is now extending out in to LGBT issues.

Although someone once described a college campus as "civil society on training wheels" and it is worth noting that Ag Forum and small town small business and farming are among the few places where you can still walk around spouting about stuff like that. I would strongly recommend against it in the greater modern workplace.

Also not generally not so true at all in econ departments, business and engineering schools. Or Ag Econ departments or ag science areas where folks are mostly just scared to death of the wrath of Monsanto/and or wants their funding.

And if someone really truly wants to destroy their academic career I'd suggest jumping on past the two radioactive topics that I mentioned above and saying something critical of the State of Israel. Outrage over that might be couched in terms of old fashioned anti-semitism but the real current politics of it is far from liberal.

Up a ways north of 3020 the President of Ball State and two trustees recently left abruptly. Even people I know who are modestly well placed don't know what it was about but worth noting that a couple months later a multi-million dollar grant from alum PapaJohn Schnatter and the Kochs, to support a free market and entrepreneurship center, was announced.

Don't know if there is any link but there's a lot of that going on too.

bruce MN
Advisor

Witchita (aka Koch) State) and Soufh Florida come to mind, and the entire Big Ag-Land Grant research complex. A staffer walking off campus of The University of Minnesota with the multi-million dollar Pig Champ program in his pocket and Roundup developed in a little lab at the University of Missouri and handed off to a little company over St. Louis way. But more than anything since reading the Kristof piece and now the discussion here I've thought about Ward Churchill and how quickly he got run out of Boulder after expressing his thoughts after 9/11. Back to that Ag school thing, I seriously doubt that if Temple Grandin had not come along when she did but rather had come along now with the same topic she is well known for she wouldn't get a staff position or a dime for research at any of the Moo U's.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Not if they are convicted in a court of law instead of rightwing rags!!

r3020
Senior Advisor

The loving tolerant left. When you were young you fought the man, now you are the man. You used to where your I will not comply tee shirt. That has been replaced you will comply.

snip-

A Harvard law professor has called for liberals to begin treating like Nazis those who subscribe to Christian or conservative beliefs.

In a Friday blog post at Balkinization, Mark Tushnet said conservatives and Christians have lost the culture wars, and now the question is “how to deal with the losers.”

“My own judgment is that taking a hard line (‘You lost, live with it’) is better than trying to accommodate the losers,” he wrote.

“Trying to be nice to the losers didn’t work well after the Civil War, nor after Brown,” Mr. Tushnet wrote, citing the Supreme Court case on segregation. “And taking a hard line seemed to work reasonably well in Germany and Japan after 1945.”

Mr. Tushnet said liberals should stop being so hesitant to advance their agenda through the judiciary, saying a majority of federal judges have been appointed by Democratic presidents, and they need not worry “reversal by the Supreme Court” now that former Associate Justice Antonin Scalia is dead.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/10/harvard-professor-start-treating-christians-nazis/

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I think the problem is that many conservatives and Christians have started acting in very unChristian ways.  You can't treat poor children, poor adults, underprivileged people badly and expect people to like you.  Many state govts are cutting programs meant to help the needy.  They use the excuse that the state is broke but they don't cut anything for the rich people in the state.  They do it to the poor and the elderly.  That plus the fact that many Christians these days have NO tolerance for anyone who is NOT a Christian or at least one who doesn't hold the same beliefs as they do.  Those are the main reasons for the liberal view of most of the backlash towards these people--you and others like you.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Actually Christians haven't changed since the founding of the country.

OKdon
Senior Contributor

You mean to say they have always been bigoted azzholes?

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Probably not a real, true Christian but those who talk about hanging gays and trans, killing all Muslims, throwing all immigrants out of the country, etc, etc are NOT real, true Christians.  I put you, ba, steely, pr, millie and a few others in that last category!