cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Less ice

I have noted how we do not have as much snow or even big storms in our winters that we used to get when we were first married over 50 years ago.

Temperatures have been above 0C most days in January again this year when it used to be only 1 or 2 days in January that we would get above freezing.

This article talks of ice and snow cover and notes how less cover leads to higher temps from dark ground and water absorbing more sun and heat retention.  Our deck is melting off this morning with cloud and temps at -4 partly because we had scrapped most of the snow off so the sun can leave the heat there even with the cloud 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ice-melt-1.5886228 

Earth's ice is melting faster today than in the mid-1990s, new research suggests, as climate change nudges global temperatures ever higher.

Altogether, an estimated 28 trillion tonnes of ice have melted away from the world's sea ice, ice sheets and glaciers since the mid-1990s. Annually, the melt rate is now about 57 per cent faster than it was three decades ago, scientists report in a study published Monday in the journal The Cryosphere.

"It was a surprise to see such a large increase in just 30 years," said co-author Thomas Slater, a glaciologist at Leeds University in Britain.

While the situation is clear to those depending on mountain glaciers for drinking water or relying on winter sea ice to protect coastal homes from storms, the world's ice melt has begun to grab attention far from frozen regions, Slater noted.

17 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Less ice

I wouldn't worry too much Canuck. Your science also tells us men menstruate and have babies. Your schools teach there are over 100 different genders. They're a bigger threat than any ice melting.

henrikstudson
Senior Contributor

This coming from a guy who’s only science is based on orange man word.  

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

I assume he'd find some general consensus on some of those matters on the straw man laundry list.

There are now better alternatives to fossil fuels and excellent arguments for making sure that policy is no longer steeply tilted in favor of them.

Period.

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Actually Canuck , there's some good soil north of Ottawa that I've ...

Actually,  there's some good soil north of  Ottawa that I've thought about trying to buy and will to my descendants so that when 3020's descendants are living in a desert in Iowa, mine will have so decent to farm.            

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Lol.

I never would have pulled the trigger but back when the Canadian prairie farm economy had nearly collapsed from the end of the rail subsidies and the loonie was around .60 I was fascinated by listings for farms and ranches.

Woulda been a five fer just off the currency and the turn around in the farm economy.

r3020
Senior Advisor

I guess a dessert is better than mile thick ice.

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: At the rate you're pumping carbon dioxide into the air, ...

There's not much reason to fear a mile of ice anytime soon.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: At the rate you're pumping carbon dioxide into the air, ...

Nor a desert.