cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
man of steel
Senior Contributor

Re: Let the "photoshopped" furor begin(edit)

When we go doggin it's very possible to shoot 300 rounds + a day. A 308 would not be in any of my choices.

Edit

I do know the 223 is very popular for doggin(I use 2 of them) light recoil allows you to see hits/misses(very important)

According to one person on this board(it was knapper) the Bushmaster was designed as a killing machine.

"The killer used a Bushmaster weapon designed in every respect for killing people (from loading method to caliber, end of story)."

I assume he is so clueless that he doesn't know one can get a Bushmaster in many calibers but he most likely means the 223Rem.

I know for a fact that this is a fine cal. for doggin, but maybe if this is such a deadly caliber(according to knapper) you might want to consider it for elk also.

Sarcasm off

r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Let the "photoshopped" furor begin

@Snooky1953 wrote:

I do my research.

man of steel
Senior Contributor

Re: Let the "photoshopped" furor begin

@Snooky1953 wrote:

I'm sure that most everything any president does nowadays is a photo op.

No! I mean he doesn't "do skeet" cept for the photo op

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

You are probably correct on the .308 for dogs.  My cousin and 3-4 others go to SD each year and they usually take 8000-9000 rds altogether for a week's shooting.  I can't afford two guns so was thinking of a dual purpose rifle but will probably never go for elk so may get something light and fast.  What do you think of the Ruger .204?

man of steel
Senior Contributor

@Snooky1953 wrote:

I can't afford two guns...

Now that is something I don't understand

@Snooky1953 wrote:

What do you think of the Ruger .204?

I have a barrel for that, but no action. Thats the next one I'm going for. But If you don't reload your own, I'd go with the assault caliber(you know the one that was designed to kill humans) the bad a$$ 223rem

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

6mm or .243, one of the best all around calibers available. The 22-250 and the .223 are nearly the same, the 22-250 is faster, what makes them desirable for dogs, is the flatter trajectory.The .243 can use a number of different gr. bullets, from 50gr. to 100gr. I read an article many years ago, in Field & Stream about the .243, he claimed he had shot and seen shot over a hundred deer, and no deer had went further than 10 yds. after being hit by a .243. He used a 85gr. hollow point boat tail, he used it for everything, dogs, woodchucks, coyotes, and deer. I only saw one deer put down, by one of my loads, the bullet took it's heart completely out. His reasoning behind using that one load for everything, was if you can hit a prairie dog, at 200 yds, you have nothing to fear using it for deer too. That's why I chose it, it's not a cannon, it's a gun you can use everyday, for everything, and know that what ever you aim it at, your going to hit it. One other benefit, from this load, is I have never, ever heard a ricochet.

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

I should have said I can't afford two MORE guns.  I hadn't heard that about the .223. I just figured they said that the "assault rifle" was in that cal. But I can see where some might figure it that way since the M16 was the main military weapon for decades and it is a .223.

man of steel
Senior Contributor

Yes! There is a lot of misinformation about "assault rifles" To start with, there is no such thing!

man of steel
Senior Contributor

@Snooky1953 wrote:

I should have said I can't afford two MORE guns.  I hadn't heard that about the .223. I just figured they said that the "assault rifle" was in that cal. But I can see where some might figure it that way since the M16 was the main military weapon for decades and it is a .223.

Here's a link to what I was talking about

http://community.agriculture.com/t5/Ag-Forum/Why-do-cops-military-have-quot-assault-quot-rifles/m-p/...