cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Liberals and Drugs

just got done reading Obama's Tucson speech transcripts ( I didn't have time to listen to the demagogue drone on and on, taking minutes to say a ten second phrase....I honestly really do hate to even hear his voice anymore, it just grates on me much like Sarah Palin's sweet musings must grate on the  ears of the non-believers).

not once did our President link the drug abuser and user shooter to one of , if not the biggest, the problems in our democracy....a electorate full of drug abusers. Liberals seem to push on and on for a relaxation of drug laws, and turn a blind eye to abhorrent behavior such as this shooting. What will it take to get the drugs off the street in America?

Knowing Obama's past life as an admitted crackhead, it is not surprising for the silence.

Based on some of the posts in this forum, I would be not surprised if we have plenty of people on drugs that post here, too.

9 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Liberals and Drugs

Actually Red I was amused at how much the media has played up the fact that Loughner was a marijuana user.  Many years ago while in college I admit to having inhaled the stuff on occasion and can tell you I would much rather take my chances of having someone stoned flipping out and opening fire on a crowd then I would with some red neck that has been drinking all day.  Unless you are hogging all the muchies I think one would be pretty safe.  I just don't see marijuana use as playing much of a factor in this terrible disaster.  The other "legal" drug mentioned I have no knowledge of so I can not say to what effect that could have had but think it could have much worse effects on some then simply getting stoned.  

I still think what we are dealing with is a person with severe mental problems and think that drug use played as little in all this as political views. 

Senior Contributor

how many meth users did not start out with marijuana?

and comparing mind altering drugs with another drug...alcohol ...that has caused plenty of problems, too, is not really making a very good case in my opinion. I am not a big fan of drunks running loose , either.

Substance abuse is a huge problem in America, from abused wives and kids, to rapes and  murders. Glossing over it doesn't serve any purpose. I think the president could have addressed that , too, but I think he avoids it for his own personal reasons.

Senior Contributor

Red, I recently watched a documentary on marijuana and they had on a drug abuse counselor who disagreed with the people who choose to vilify pot by calling it the gate way drug that leads to harder drugs.  The counselor said it is far more accurate to say that alcohol is the gateway drug.  He said everyone of the addicts he has met start out with alcohol not pot.

Yes we have a drug and alcohol problem but I just don't think it was a big factor in this shooting.   There are millions of people smoking pot and drinking in this country everyday and the don't got snap and start shooting people.   To many people have been quick to try and proclaim exactly what caused Loughner to go on this shooting rampage.  We have seen many on this site look ridiculous in my opinion as they tried to tell us how they know what caused this young man to snap.  I think it was wise for Obama to stay away from all that and let doctors and experts have time to weigh in on the "causes."

Veteran Advisor

Neocons and drugs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Webb

"Renowned journalist and former Webb colleague Al Giordano states that "the CIA’s internal investigation by Inspector General Frederick Hitz vindicated much of Gary’s reporting" and observes that despite the campaign against Webb, "the government eventually admitted to more than Gary had initially reported" over the years."

Poor Gary Webb, though. His career was ruined, then he became despondent and one day went to his front door and shot himself in the face with a shotgun. Twice.

Senior Contributor

Re: Neocons and drugs

How did he manage to shoot himself TWICE in the head to commit suicide?

sounds a little suspicious

Advisor

You're a liberal, by the current corrupted definition of liberal.  Liberals believe in misusing the power of government to force their values upon others.   You are a authoritarian.  

Here is some facts about other Nations experience who have ended prohibition. 

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2009/03/14/Portugal

This is just one of the hits from a google search for drug decriminalization, if you actually wished to use logic and reason, you can find thousands of examples of the harm prohibition is to society.   The so-called war on drugs has only created wealthy drug cartels and more corrupt politicians, police, governmental officials and associated crime and a police state. 

Senior Contributor

all that being said, I do not think the former crack head is ever going to face the hard question of drug abuse in America. For all I know, the guy still uses drugs.

It is not any secret that JFK was using drugs in the white house.

Advisor

The guys brain was defective, pot may have made it worse, but didn't cause the problem. Most of the problems with drugs in this country stem from the illegality rather than the use.
Senior Contributor

The documentary I mentioned had several interesting facts that would surprise most people.  The amount of potential tax dollars if legalized, regulated and taxed by the government was impressive.  Legislation has been introduced in California to legalize, regulate and tax pot where state tax collectors estimate the bill would bring in about $1.3 billion a year in much needed revenue.  Pot is Calf. biggest biggest cash crop with $14 billion a year in sales, dwarfing the state's second largest agricultural commodity — milk and cream — which brings in $7.3 billion a year, according to the most recent USDA statistics.

They told of one country that has totaled decriminalized pot and later studies have shown over all use of pot and use by younger people had stayed the same or gone down slightly.   The surprise in their studies was that use of harder drugs had dropped.  Some experts were assuming that before pot was decriminalized potential buyers were often forced to go to sellers who also sold harder drugs that were more profitable. 

The most interesting trivia was when they told how U.S. Colonial farmers while still under British rule were required by the king to grow hemp.  At the time hemp was in big demand for use in many products and especially rope for the Royal Navy.  Farmers came to realize they could make more money growing tobacco so many farmer agreed to pay a fine to the King for not growing hemp so they could then grow tobacco.  They also said the original rough drafts for the U.S. Constitution were written on paper made from hemp.