cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Listening to all the rants about cutting business taxes.

Yes the repubs are striving for further tax cuts for businesses along with the caveman OBama.

I wonder if business had any interests that are preserved by government. Protecting the land and property of those company from foreign and domestic assault. BUilding roads and access to their businees sites. Many time putting in exchanges and paved roads for their benefit. Fire and police protection and porotection from patent infringement etc. Does businees get any benefit from government or is it only we peons that pay full rate taxes and not the lessor capital gains rate or exemption from SS taxes. Yep it is the employees that pay those ss taxes..

It's a bit disgusting that they are so oppressed, while many of us own businesses and know what it is like to build and succeed in our economy. And they didn't build no damned paved road to my business.

What is wrong with those dudes? They whine worst thatn farmers and shell out millions to their lobbiests to buy legislation that favors them. Why can't they just man up and pay their own way instead of exhausting some my energy and capital to avoid taxes. Don't they think they have any civic responsibility to fund this great country. This past weekend  we were reminded time and time again about those folks that sacrificed so much for our country and others can find no reason to open the ceckbook and pay the real cost of the war. What the heck is wrong with these folks?

35 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Listening to all the rants about cutting business taxes.

Instead of constantly bickering, I wish Congress, and the President could get together on what they agree on, and pass that, agree on the next item, pass it, and so on.

Just to pull something out of the air, let's say that they all agree hookers should no longer be a 'business deduction'.  Why can't they pass a simple bill ending the 'brothel loophole', and go on.

Instead, they load up a law that actually started out as something most people could live with, and add so many extra pages of worthless crap, instead of being something that they agree on, there is something in it everyone hates.

For example, I think we probably don't agree on a whole lot in our viewpoints of taxes, but I bet there are some things we can agree on. 
I don't think that people shoulc be able to take a quick write-off of big, long term purchases.  Build a $200,000 shop, you plan to use it for 20 years, why should you get the deduction in 1 or 2?

Why do some corporations pay very little in taxes, while others with similar earnings pay much more.  Ditto individuals. 
Figure out a reasonable rate, and then make EVERYONE pay it.

I'm not trying to speak for you, but my guess is that perhaps the two of us could hammer those things out.  Why can't Congress do something similar, instead of having to pass a 1,000 page bill with a couple hundred amendments that target special interests?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I agree in that business should be able to write off expenses and depreciation is rightfully part of that expense. However, the depreciation should be deducted as it occurs not yearts before. The quick writeoff was sold as an incentive to create more economic activity. So why then isn't our economy humming. The truth is it is another bogus premise to justify favored tax treatments for business.

If major purchases are such a grand incentive for business activity , why not let Joe Six Pack deduct his 40 k drive to work pickup?

Highlighted

Not to mention the fact that if they simultaneously want to balance the budget that means that the ultimate consumer will have to make up the difference in revenue.

And the government side of the demand equation is sharply curtailed.

It looks to me like the idiots would be better off with 1) customers with money to spend and 2) making lots of money and paying some tax on it.

Nothing very hard about that but it takes a good political PR spin to obscure the obvious.

BTW, when Grover gets put in the box on that he'll respond by saying that taxes are immoral anyway so it doesn't matter. Can't argue with religion.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

See, we already got one loophole closed!

I wonder if the reason they pack so much into one bill is so they can hide stuff in it that would never pass otherwise.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Business is not humming because of the uncertainty in the market. Who is going to hire more workers when the government is talking about taxing away their profits to extend unemployment?

Highlighted

Just another unfortuate example of how we did everything to pull demand forward and why we have a great deal of excess to work off.

An example- maybe a poor one but anyway.

Farming is on a different cycle than the general economy but the same applies. When I drive the countryside in spring and fall I'm just blown away by the amount of new farm equipment out there. Nothing wrong with farming having its day and the machinery inventory does need to be retooled from time to time.

But I'll betcha that all the farm machinery plants in the US could close for 5 years and produce only spare parts and our agriculture wouldn't miss a beat.

And to a less dramatic degree that will happen sometime.

Highlighted
Advisor

How much money does the us government collect from the companies that make all the junk you buy at Wal-Mar? That reality is where you need to start in developing your tax policy because with our trade policy there is no reason any company has to make its products here.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: keep in mind

that we in business are the best job producer america has --how many jobs have you created--business tax at zero would create jobs asap

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: keep in mind

True, but a very small percentage of those jobs created would be here in the U.S.