cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Longtime USDA employee told me

Shirttail relative, on Thanksgiving Day. Said that there are 24,000 USDA positions nationwide going unfilled.

Here is hoping that nothing as totally abhorrent as this were to happen there:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/veterans-affairs-dept-tells-congressional-staffers-it-won-t-rep...
11 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Longtime USDA employee told me

(Shirttail relative, on Thanksgiving Day. Said that there are 24,000 USDA positions nationwide going unfilled.)

How many total employees work for USDA today?

How many in 2010 & 2015?

What are these positions and why are they "unfilled".

I could not find any current numbers, just that the number of USDA employees was substantially reduced between 2000 & 2010.

Tell your relative that some additional details are needed - gotta make sure those farm welfare payments get processed Smiley Wink

Honored Advisor

Those unfilled positions must be the ones that correctly figure yields and carryover numbers.Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

I think they calculate those reports with a monkey and dart board.

Senior Advisor

Aut oh.......that might be racist.

Honored Advisor

I hope your relative said it was a good thing, because I was not aware but there are over 100,000 USDA employees... that`s 30 USDA employees for every farmer!!!

https://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2010/jun/08/george-lemieux/george-lemieux-says-usda-em...

Senior Advisor

HUMMMM.....could be classified as another campaign promise kept.

Honored Advisor

Well yeah, when Bruce says "24,000 USDA positions unfilled" I`m surprised there are total of that many.  I look at my county about 6-8 FSA employees and 800 farmers in the county and they handle it easily, it isn`t like the LDP days.  And I think some counties closed and combined offices.

Senior Advisor

Yeah our county combined with the next one to the west. Of course when they did that they had to build a brand new office building.

Advisor

24000 would be an average of 480 per state, and many state don't even have much agriculture.  Does it even take 500 employees per state to run the USDA in this computer age and farm consolidations?

Maybe its all the shuffled paper work to run the CSP type programs so guys like Nutz can continue to be , well, what ever type of farmer he is.

I think a couple of hundred of qualified people could run each state's programs just fine, and still have their vacations and holidays off.