cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Looks like Canadians should worry about their own mess.

Who exactly are these "gangs" anyway?  I doubt if it`s the blonde, blue eyed French girl from Montreal truckdriver I saw the other day.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/statistics-canada-blames-gang-violence-shootings-as-homicide-rate-hits...   

OTTAWA -- Canada's national homicide rate last year was the highest it's been in a decade, Statistics Canada says, because of a spike in gang-related violence and shootings.

In a report released Wednesday, the agency said there were 660 reported homicides in Canada last year.

Not only was that an increase of nearly eight per cent from 2016, it also pushed up the homicide rate to 1.8 victims for every 100,000 people -- the highest since 2009.

Much of the increase was linked to a dramatic rise in the number of gun-related killings, which itself was driven by more gang-related violence.

"Gang-related homicides committed with a firearm represented 12 per cent of all homicides in 2015," Statistics Canada said. "By 2017, this proportion had grown to 21 per cent."

The federal Liberals and Conservatives earlier this month presented competing plans for tackling guns and gangs, which had emerged as significant public-safety concerns even before Statistics Canada's findings were released on Wednesday.

The Trudeau government announced on Nov. 7 a plan to spend $86 million on expanded intelligence and border-security measures for the RCMP and Canada Border Services Agency -- part of a five-year, $327-million funding promise made earlier this year to stop criminal gun and gang activities.

The same day, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer laid out his own proposal. It would include more punitive measures for gang members, including longer jail sentences and limited parole and bail opportunities for repeat and violent offenders.

The moves and promises came after a rash of shootings this year, including a mass attack on Toronto's Danforth Avenue in July that killed an 18-year-old woman and a 10-year-old girl and injured 13 others.

27 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Looks like Canadians should worry about their own mess.

In Canada it's mostly criminals who have guns.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Very true  🙂   However I`m sure our 2 Canadian friends will spin it that our "dear leader" sent US guns up to Canada ….it can`t be the Gangs in Canada"...oh no, Canada is perfect.

backmansasktel
Senior Contributor

Among others, there are the hell angels, blond, blue eyed anglos.

Now, what else do you have say!

Edmund55
Senior Contributor

(Who exactly are these "gangs" anyway?  I doubt if it`s the blonde, blue eyed French girl from Montreal truck driver I saw the other day.)

Probably those KKK wannabee masked anteefers.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Have you checked the homicide rate in US compared to Canada?

I think it is around 2 per capita in Canada and 5+ in USA.

You will be glad to know that the majority of illegal guns used in many of these are no longer coming from the US since the Conservative government loosened gun laws people here now buy legal and sell on black market to criminals so they do not have to smuggle them in from the US.

That is the same Conservative party that Scheer now runs and wants to lock moire people up longer

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hells Angels???  The 1970s called and want their gang back.  MS 13, Bloods Cripts and all those outfits don`t have too many blue eyed members these days.   I think Canada`s stupid immigration policy is ruining your country.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Sure the US has homicide problems, however our violent crime rates have went down over the years, a lot of credit is the citizens with concealed carry laws.   But, it takes a lot of balls for a Canadian to lecture us.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Who is/was lecturing who?

I just pointed out how your homicide rates were greater than ours after you posted about how bad it is in Canada.

I also noted how less control on gun sales preceded the recent up tick in homicides in Toronto.

You might also find it interesting that homicide rates are higher in the Prairies and northern areas of Canada where there are more guns. Of course don't let facts get in the way of your beliefs 

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Here is a story for you BA. From your own country.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46314065

"We are in a state of chaos. In the city in which I live, I hear and see examples of chaos almost every day. Little children are victims of senseless gun violence..."

Two years ago, 11-year-old Milwaukee schoolgirl Sandra Parks wrote these words in an award-winning essay about the murders in her city.

On Monday night, aged 13, she was shot by a stray bullet fired into her home.

Her frantic family called 911, but Sandra died at the scene.