cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Looks like about 1% Covid death rate

Now that new cases seem to be plateauing at about 160,000 per day and the normal lag of deaths behind new cases has caught up with the level of new cases at 1500-1600 deaths per day we can see that the mortality rate is about 1% compared with the 1.7-1.8% seen previously.  I suspect that widespread vaccination of the older population and the lower death rate of the younger victims accounts for the apparent decline.

But that doesn't mean that the virus doesn't still have plenty of fresh fuel to burn through.  Just take a look at South Carolina, West Texas, and the Northwest for instance.  But it does look like it's finally burning out in south-central Missouri, Georgia, and South Florida.

We've had an ominous uptick in cases and deaths here recently in the relatively unvaccinated rural upstate NY, so we all holding our breaths as schools reopen.  Even with masks and testing, I'm sure we'll see a surge here. Although, the last couple of months has seen an uptick in vaccinations.

26 Replies
sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

Re: Looks like about 1% Covid death rate

You might not have noticed but the peaks and valleys predate the vac.

bruce MN
Advisor

Just as the 5000 to 1 chances of a breakthrough in the vaxed post dates it.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

While I have to agree with the CDC recommendation for vaccinated people to get tested if they suspect a breakthrough (I did recently, just a nasty cold) I’m not sure that modest colonizations in the vaccinated should be counted the same.

It skews the quite high death rate among the unvaccinated.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

@bruce MN wrote:

I'm just curious what you're saying.

That out off 5000 vax'ed people 1 actually gets covid?

r3020
Senior Advisor

@bruce MN wrote:

Bruce, thank you for the third LOL moment of the day!!!!

A popular catchphrase this past summer is that COVID is, “a pandemic among the unvaccinated.” President Biden told this to America on August 18. Joe was late to the party as CDC Director Rochelle Walensky warned of this a month earlier. Big media parroted this catchy slogan with little question. Is it true? Is it based on science or simply a push to scare and shame the unvaccinated into taking the vaccine?

By simply perusing the news, one can draw a far different conclusion, that we are instead seeing a “pandemic of the vaccinated.” In Israel, “One of the most vaccinated countries in the world has this week seen its highest number of coronavirus cases ever.” And these cases are not mild. Instead, a majority of hospitalized patients are in serious condition with close to 15 percent on ventilators. In a country with over 80 percent of adults vaccinated, this is clearly not a “pandemic of the unvaccinated.” Instead, it's the opposite, going from the model of how to manage the coronavirus to the global hot spot.

It is not just Israel. The Washington Post asks, “Iceland has been a vaccination success. Why is it seeing a coronavirus surge?” And this phenomenon has not eluded America.

Cornell University, my alma mater, also has a “pandemic of the vaccinated.” The College Fix reports, “Despite 95% vaccination rate, Cornell today has five times more COVID cases than it did this time last year.” Which leads to obvious questions about vaccine efficacy.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2021/09/is_covid_a_pandemic_of_the_unvaccinated_not_quite.h...

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Sounds about right in wild back of the envelope terms.

Vs. about 1/2000 for the unvaccinated with about 9x greater risk of death if they do.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Of course timeframe is the key variable.

Eventually everyone will catch it, be vaccinated or both.

But between higher susceptibility and much higher mortality, many more unvaxxed will die.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

@sdholloway56 wrote:

Sounds about right in wild back of the envelope terms.

Vs. about 1/2000 for the unvaccinated with about 9x greater risk of death if they do.

if you go back to the end of december before vaccinations about 20m cases had been diagnosed out of a population of 331m.  Do some maff and get back to me.

bruce MN
Advisor

Widely read and shared.

Try Google:

“One in 5000.”