cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnaa
Advisor

Man creates his gods in his image. Insane.

I copied a few paragraphs from the 12 the author provided.     It's even got something for those obsessed with an al sex. 

http://io9.com/gods-12-biggest-**bleep**-moves-in-the-old-testament-1522970429                                                                                            

snip-->Before Jesus arrived and his divine father chilled out, the Old Testament God was, ironically, kind of a hellraiser. He was not a nice guy. He really liked killing people. And he may have actually been insane, if his willingness to randomly murder devout worshippers like Moses was any indication. Here are the 12 craziest, most awful things God did in the Old Testament, back before that wacked-out hippie Jesus softened him up.

1) Sending Bears to Murder Children

So a guy named Eliseus was traveling to Bethel when a bunch of kids popped up and made fun of him for being bald. That had to suck, and you can't blame Eliseus for being pissed and cursing them to God. But God had Eliseus' back, by which I mean he sent two bears to maul 42 of these kids to death. For making fun of a bald dude. I have to think Eliseus was looking for something along the lines of a spanking, or maybe the poetic justice of having the kids go bald, but nope, God went straight for the bear murder. But on the plus side, that pile of 40+ children's corpses never made fun of anybody again. (4 Kings 2:23-24)

) Turning Lot's Wife to Salt

Most folks know about the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, two cities of sin God decided to kill everyone in instead of, you know, making them not full of sin. But this was a town that, when two angels were staying at Lot's place, gathered en masse and asked if they could rape them. I repeat: They wanted to rape angels. So they kind of had their destruction coming. Lot and his family were sent from the city before things went down, and Lot's wife looked back, and God turned her into a pillar of salt. It's generally understood that Lot's wife was looking back in a wistful kind of way at her angel-raping hometown, but the fact is there's nothing in the Bible to suggest this. Nor was Lot's family warned about  looking back. Maybe Lot's wife wanted to see Sodom and Gomorrah get what was coming to it. Maybe she was thinking wistfully of the things she had to leave behind. Maybe she wondered if she left the oven on. We'll never know, because God turned her into seasoning for breaking a rule she didn't know existed. (Genesis 19:26)

3) Hating Ugly People

In what should be good news for intolerant religious conservatives, God really does hate people who are different from the norm. Of course, God isn't as worried about skin color or sexual orientation as he is about whether you're ugly or not. Because if you're ugly, you can just go worship some other god, okay? (Even though God will punish you if you do and also they don't exist.) Here's the people God does not want coming into his churches: People with blemishes, blind people, the lame, those with flat noses, dwarves, people with scurvy, people with bad eyes, people with bad skin, and those that "hath their stones broken."  Given that God is technically responsible for giving people all of these afflictions in the first place, this is an enormous **bleep** move. (Leviticus 21:17-24)

10) Trying to Wrestle a Guy, Cheating, and Still Losing                            

And here's more evidence that God is a drunk maniac: Jacob was traveling with his two wives, his 11 kids, and all his earthly possessions and had sent them across a river. At that moment, a guy essentially leapt out of the bushes and started wrestling. It's God! They wrestle all night, and God cannot beat Jacob, so he uses his magic God powers to wrench Jacob's hip out of its socket. But Jacob still won't let him out of a headlock until God blesses him, because Jacob has figured out who this bizarre man is. God blesses him and wanders off, presumably to go get in a bar fight somewhere. (Genesis 32: 22-31)

10 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Man creates his gods in his image. Insane.

From the comments. This guy Lobostele does a great job of explaining it. Kudos to him.

For starters, there's a few obvious explanations to most of these situations: people disobeyed God. If God is really Who He says He is, then that makes Him the all-powerful, all-knowing being. When He says you should do something, it's in His prerogative to discipline people who insist on doing something different.
The bottom line is that disobedience and disrespect toward God has consequences. This is no different than any other form of law or ruler throughout history. It doesn't make God "dickish". It makes Him somebody who expects to be treated for Who He is. Not much different than how a parent expects to be obeyed and respected by their children. And when the child does differently, discipline is given out, whether that's time out, a spanking, taking away privileges, whatever.
Honestly, most of these have really rather easy explanations if you had been bothered to do a little research.
If you'd like specifics...
1) Sending Bears to Murder Children - Massive disrespect, not only for God Himself, but for Eliseus (commonly known as Elisha) who was God's Prophet at the time. It would have been well known by then that God was speaking through, and doing miracles through, Elisha (and Elijah, Elisha's mentor). To mock the prophet was akin to mocking God Himself. It's not being "dickish", it's expecting people to have respect for people and respect for God's words.
2) Turning Lot's Wife to Salt - There's at least one blaring error in your study here.  Genesis 19:17:  "Flee for your lives! Don't look back, and don't stop anywhere in the plain!" The angels with Lot and his family specifically told them to not look back. Which Lot's wife ignored, and paid the penalty. So there were consequences to her disobedience.
3) Hating Ugly People - It's not that God hates them. In fact, if you read through other portions of the Bible, it's abundantly clear that God loves all people. What he didn't want was those imperfect people coming into the most holy inner areas of the temple. God is 100% perfect, and cannot stand imperfection in His presence. Even the High Priest was in danger of death in God's presence if they did the wrong thing. In actuality, this in some way can be viewed as an act of love by God, because He knew that imperfect people could not withstand His holy presence. For what it's worth, those "ugly" people were still allowed, and encouraged even, to enter the outer areas of the temple and burn their offerings.
4) Trying to Kill Moses - Again, this comes down to disobedience. God had already instructed Moses to circumcise his son, and yet Moses had refused to do it up till that point. His wife finally had the sense to obey God. God didn't "sober up". He saw that His instructions had been followed.
5) Committing So Much Genocide - I understand this one is tough for non-Christians to swallow, but in every one of those instances, God gave the people a way to avoid those punishments. It is much the same in our modern era. There is a way of salvation laid out, we only have to obey and follow that. If we insist on ignoring God's instructions, then there are consequences to pay.
6) Ordering His Underlings to Kill Their Own Children - The story of Abraham and Isaac is actually a beautiful story of faith, and when looked at from another light, is a story of how God provides a substitute sacrifice out of His love for Abraham. This is a parallel to Jesus Christ, in that we as human beings must pay a price for our sin, and yet God provided a lamb (Jesus) to die in our place instead. So your story details are right, but what you've taken away from it is a far cry from what it's really about. As for Jephthah, your details are wrong. First of all, his daughter died AFTER the Ammonites were defeated. And secondly, she willingly gave her life to help her father keep his promise.
7) Killing Egyptian Babies - God gave Pharoah 9 chances to obey and let the Israelites leave Egypt! That's actually more chances than most other people got. And yet throughout the whole time, Pharoah refused. Disobedience has consequences.
8) Killing a Dude for Not Making Babies - First of all, again, Er was killed for being disobedient. Second, it's not clear whether or not Onan married Tamar or not, and since the instructions to Onan are in line with the Levitical law, it is just as reasonable to read the passage to be that Onan would have married Tamar, since she and Er never had any children. In the end though, Onan also disobeyed, and refused to fulfill the responsibility he was asked to do. Disobedience has consequences.
9) Helping Samson Murder People to Pay Off a Bet - A larger part of this story that you've left out here is that the people Samson was killing were Philistines. They were CONSTANTLY at odds with God and the Israelites. They had a death mark on their heads for generations. Samson was given supernatural strength to fight against the Philistines on multiple occasions. However, Samson was also not exactly a great example of a person. Just because people are in the Bible doesn't mean they were perfect people. Samson made some really poor choices, and while God still used him to carry out judgment on the Philistines, Samson had to pay his own consequences as well.
10) Trying to Wrestle a Guy, Cheating, and Still Losing - This is probably the only one that I partially agree with here. Though I don't see it as a "dickish" move. It's more about God teaching Jacob a lesson. God doesn't just pick a fight with Jacob for no reason. Jacob is the father of the Israelite nation. In fact, it is this event where God gives Jacob the new name of Israel. In some way, the Israelites have been wrestling with God ever since.
11) Killing People for Complaining About God Killing Them - This one goes back to the disrespect and disobedience bit. Do I really need to explain it further?
12) Everything He Did to Job - To be clear here, God did not do ANYTHING to Job. Satan did. Yes, God let it happen. There's a lot that could related to how God operates today, and there's much implication here about the nature of good and evil, etc. The important thing to see from this story though, is that Job never disrespected God, and he never disobeyed God, even when Job's own wife told him he should do so. And in the end, God blessed Job for his faithfulness. The moral of the story is that sometimes Satan can wreak havoc on your life, but God is still in control, and we can still trust Him.

TL;DR - Disobedience and disrespect to the God of the universe understandably invites His wrath.  Most of these make perfect sense in light of who God really is: an all-powerful being worthy of ultimate respect and obedience. Lucky for us, the reason why God "cooled off" once Jesus came on the scene, is because Jesus' death on the cross paid any penalty for any disobedience we may have committed. God's wrath has been appeased by Jesus' blood, just like God's wrath was temporarily appeased by the blood sacrifice of a lamb by the Isralite's High Priest. If we're going to continue to live a life of disrespect and disobedience to God, then yes, we should fear his "dickish" wrath. But there's a way out, and there's no reason for us to have to endure that punishment

WCMO
Senior Advisor

Or, those could be specific stories developed thousands of years ago by specific people for specific reasons, embellished by re-telling thru the generations, and eventually collected in various books that have been included in the Bible, which has been translated a few times over many years into words that might not retain their original meaning nor intent.

johnaa
Advisor

You prove my point, 0000

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Excuses 3020.

Read what the word say not what you want them to say.

This is the same god that commanded the Israelites to sack cities and kill everyone in themchildren and babies too.

They were even supposed to stab pregnant women in the abdomen to be sure the unborn children died too.

Well almost everyone was to be killed because they were allowed to keep any virgins for their own pleasure as sex slaves.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

@WCMO wrote:

Or, those could be specific stories developed thousands of years ago by specific people for specific reasons, embellished by re-telling thru the generations, and eventually collected in various books that have been included in the Bible, which has been translated a few times over many years into words that might not retain their original meaning nor intent.

YEP the same book with all these old tales that can be ignored as 'just stories' or adapted to mean something they do not say     BUT     those Ten Commandments are the absolute word of this unholy god and can not be changed and should be the law of the land.

Sure is consistent the way these 'believers' treat this books word inconsistantly. 

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

Excuses 3020.

This is the same god that commanded the Israelites to sack cities and kill everyone in themchildren and babies too.

They were even supposed to stab pregnant women in the abdomen to be sure the unborn children died too.

Well almost everyone was to be killed because they were allowed to keep any virgins for their own pleasure as sex slaves.

John 15:18-27

Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)

The World’s Hatred

18 “If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.[a] 19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant[b] is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also. 21 But all this they will do to you on my account, because they do not know him who sent me. 22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 He who hates me hates my Father also. 24 If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would not have sin; but now they have seen and hated both me and my Father. 25 It is to fulfil the word that is written in their law, ‘They hated me without a cause.’ 26 But when the Counselor comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness to me; 27 and you also are witnesses, because you have been with me from the beginning.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

@r3020 wrote:

@Canuck_2 wrote:

Excuses 3020.

The World’s Hatred

18 “If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you.[a] 19 If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant[b] is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also. 21 But all this they will do to you on my account, because they do not know him who sent me. 22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not have sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 He who hates me hates my Father also. 24 If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would not have sin; but now they have seen and hated both me and my Father. 25 It is to fulfil the word that is written in their law, ‘They hated me without a cause.’ 26 But when the Counselor comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness to me; 27 and you also are witnesses, because you have been with me from the beginning.

I guess someone would have to 'interpret' that to explain what it has to do with the evil god that had everyone killed, except the virgins.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

@r3020 wrote:

@Canuck_2 wrote:

Excuses 3020.

The World’s Hatred

I guess someone would have to 'interpret' that to explain what it has to do with the evil god that had everyone killed, except the virgins.

Do as you wish. Believe what you want. It just explains why you attack.

WCMO
Senior Advisor

Don't get me wrong, I like reading this kind of stuff -- yet, didn't we make a jump from Old Testament to New in those references?  There could be many hundreds of years difference, maybe thousands of years difference, in when they were first verbalized stories, or when they were first written.