cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Marijuana Fights Cancer and Helps Manage Side Effects, Researchers Find

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/09/06/marijuana-fights-cancer-and-helps-manage-side-effec...

snip-Subsequent peer-reviewed studies in several countries would show that THC and other marijuana-derived compounds, known as “cannabinoids,” are effective not only for cancer-symptom management (nausea, pain, loss of appetite, fatigue), they also confer a direct antitumoral effect.                      

A team of Spanish scientists led by Manuel Guzman conducted the first clinical trial assessing the antitumoral action of THC on human beings. Guzman administered pure THC via a catheter into the tumors of nine hospitalized patients with glioblastoma, who had failed to respond to standard brain-cancer therapies. The results were published in 2006 in the British Journal of Pharmacology: THC treatment was associated with significantly reduced tumor cell proliferation in every test subject.

snip-Cannabidiol offers hope of a non-toxic therapy that could treat aggressive forms of cancer without any of the painful side effects of chemotherapy,” says McAllister, who is seeking support to conduct clinical trials with the marijuana compound on breast cancer patients.                                                            ---------

McAllister’s lab also is analyzing how CBD works in combination with first-line chemotherapy agents. His research shows that cannabidiol, a potent antitumoral compound in its own right, acts synergistically with various anti-cancer pharmaceuticals, enhancing their impact while cutting the toxic dosage necessary for maximum effect.

snip-Investigators at St. George’s University in London observed a similar pattern with THC, which magnified the effectiveness of conventional antileukemia therapies in preclinical studies. THC and cannabidiol both induce apoptosis in leukemic cell lines.

At the annual summer conference of the International Cannabinoid Research Society, held this year in Freiburg, Germany, 300 scientists from around the world discussed their latest findings, which are pointing the way toward novel treatment strategies for cancer and other degenerative diseases. Italian investigators described CBD as “the most efficacious inducer of apoptosis” in prostate cancer. Ditto for cannabidiol and colon cancer, according to British researchers at Lancaster University.   ==

Within the medical science community, the discovery that cannabinoids have anti-tumoral properties is increasingly recognized as a seminal advancement in cancer therapeutics.

12 Replies
Veteran Advisor

This explains a lot, Johnna

Paranoia, bouts of arguing over petty stuff, illusions of grandeur.....are you just smoking the hemp?

I believe that it has been well documented that Pot smoking is much more carcinogenic than cigarettes and undoubtedly kills more people than it would help. Put the pipe down and get on with a meaningful life. Get high on life, pal.

Veteran Advisor

Re: This explains a lot, Johnna

Veteran Advisor

But.....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090615095940.htm

I guess you can make a case for virtually anything using statistics. If you read the study you linked to, it eliminated those people over age 60 which would be about the age group that you would expect to be most affected by lung cancer, and also that it looked at lung cancer and ignored the other cancers that marijuana has been linked to, such as testicular cancer and lymphoma.

If you, as a government employee and parent, can look at the facts that are available and not see the dangers in marijuana usage, this tells me quite a bit about why America is in the shape it is. Please don't go all postal on this!

Re: Marijuana Fights Cancer and Helps Manage Side Effects, Researchers Find

Willie looks pretty healthy although I think he said he's had to go to a vaporizer to take it wasy on his lungs.

Senior Advisor

Re: This explains a lot, Johnna

@schnurrbart wrote:

Guess it depends on which study you choose.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

This means there will be no need to tax pot and second hand smoke will be a good thing.

Advisor

Re: Marijuana Fights Cancer and Helps Manage Side Effects, Researchers Find

But you don't need a pharmacy to get it so it must be bad.
Advisor

Re: But.....

I've had family members with cancer, pot gave them a great deal of relief from the negative side effects of chemo.
Honored Advisor

Can they take the THC out of the Cannabis and it would still be effective as a medicine?  See, I`m a Conservative and don`t want anyone having illicit "fun" Smiley Happy  studies have shown that those that smoke pot in their teens have a lower IQ by 10 points, alot of them don`t have that many to spare in the first place.

Advisor

In my experience people who got seriously mixed up in drugs had a lower iq to start with, but I've also been in the company of some pretty smart people who would on occasion fire one up. No different than tossing back a martini.