cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Market impact of closing one of our borders

Some of us realize the impossibility of that.
Honored Advisor

Perhaps if the border is closed down for a spell that will show our fair weather friend neighbors to the south that they can`t continue sweeping their dirt under the rug to the north, pretty soon there`ll be a bottleneck of of trouble on their own soil.   I`d give it a week to get the message.  If you run a $60 Billion trade deficit with a country, everyday the border is closed it`s more pain for them than you.   Sometimes to get your way, you gotta show those you`re dealing with who`s the boss or you`ll get rolled.

Veteran Advisor

Sell organic and grassfed to all your "green" friends.  South of the border can't afford that anyway, so closing it will have no effect.

Honored Advisor

Matt was talking about all the machinery sent south of the border making higher prices here, that`s another perk to shutting the border.  I don`t think the border has to be shut permanently or anything, just to give all concerned a much needed additude  adjustment.   This business of "Oh a nickel more for my corn!"  Yeah add a the expenses for that extra nickel, hospitals overwhelmed, social programs going broke, higher than needs to be crime and drugs, extra teachers and translators hired at schools and that bill is slapped right on the farmer`s property tax.

Senior Contributor

If the border was closed tomorrow wonder how long before the grocery shelves would start to get empty just hope there is enough vegetable for me.
Veteran Advisor

As  the  working  farmers  numbers  diminish,  while  Department  of  Ag  employees  numbers  remain steady,  ( 100,000 - 29 agencies) ,  and  the  so  called,   swamp   draining,   being  another  political  straw  pile  or  maybe some  other  kind  of  pile  -  maybe ?  

Maybe  a  solid  question   every  one  honestly  needs  to  ask,   What  Has  Happened  To  The  World's  Appetite  -  jingle , jingle  ?

Whom  gets  the  most   business   praise  -  grace ,  - ?    ''stamP  far-rmZ  something  or  other ,   shoPp cO ,  or  paayLess   at  the  4th  July  gayLA  -  just  wondering ,  while  the  so  called  stupid  guy  farms  a  mezzely  couple  hundred  acres  and  pazE  their   biLLs -  ?

Thinking  about  a '' government  position '' for  all,  has  been  accelerated  by  actions  of  some  so  called  business  genius  shortcut -  gray  area  antics,  with  the  latest  software  miss-giving  examples  on  display  with  your  so  called  canceled  X  flight  -  maybe ?              

Veteran Advisor

BA. a lot of the machinery that heads south from here is used stuff that is no longer in use due to age or changes in farming practices. It actually makes a pretty good market where there otherwise wouldn’t be much value
Veteran Advisor

Illini maybe we should ask the Native Americans how no border security worked for them
Veteran Advisor

Yes, a total sealing of the border would likely be devastating to commerce which depends on it.  Still, trying to close the border to all except LEGAL crossings and ports of entry has been difficult.  Logic says that if you can't shut down the ILLEGAL crossings, then attempts at sealing the border for everyone will only shut down LEGAL crossings.   This does not need to be a 'war' -- getting ILLEGAL crossings under control is the goal -- we need the cooperation of Mexico, but we also need the US to cooperate with themselves.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

ME, ME, ME.  About time some of you people think about the good of this country and not just your own pockets. If you didn't support the enemy's of what is right we wouldn't be in this situation now.