cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Mars finding?


@Taylor ECIL wrote:

So a single cell bacteria is life? but a fetus is not?


Where did you read that?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Mars finding?


@r3020 wrote:
Then why do you think non atheist would be upset if life is found on any other planet in the universe?

If I ever said anyone would be 'upset' about life being found on another planet then i am surprised.

i think my statement was it could change some attitudes and beliefs by some people.

 

Remember this is all hypothetical at the moment but 'What If'.

Maybe they are going to confirm what many think, that there is no evidence of any life on Mars. But before you think I am advocating that I doubt that will be the announcement.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Mars finding?

What life is on mars? You are willing to abort a fetus so you willing kill a human life? I assumed that killing a fetus was easy because it isn't a life yet.  It is called deductive reasoning.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Mars finding?

They knew about other planets at the time the Bible was written, ancient Greece worshipped gods that were named after planets. They called them "wandering stars"  http://www.bibleandscience.com/bible/books/genesis/genesis1_wanderingstars.htm   pretty damned good considering they only had their naked eyes to work with and everyday was spent mostly gathering food.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Mars finding?


@Taylor ECIL wrote:

What life is on mars? You are willing to abort a fetus so you willing kill a human life? I assumed that killing a fetus was easy because it isn't a life yet.  It is called deductive reasoning.


You make a lot of assumptions.

Sort of like saying apples and oranges are both round so they must taste the same.

 

what does finding life on Mars have to do with saving the life of a woman in Ireland by aborting a fetus which is miscarrying?

Why is it wrong to use medical abilities to save a woman's life just because the fetus that is naturally aborting still has a heartbeat?

 

Where have I ever said it is good to abort any fetus?

 

What I have said is it is wrong to pass a religiously based law which ties the hands of the medical people.

 

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Mars finding?

I think you made my point for me.


When the Bible makes no mention of the other planets, or any life on them, the followers of the Bible, really shouldn't say if it is, or is not possible.

The Bible was not written, to explain the ways of the entire universe.  It was to give a brief history of mankind, as well as rules and lessons to live by. 

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Mars finding?

Actually I made 2 assumptions. You have defended abortion feverishly. So I assumed you don't believe that a fetus is a life. Since most advanced civilizations do not want to kill human life. You say they may find life on mars. It will probably not be a complex organism with a brain and nervous system. So I assumed that you believe that a single cell organism is life. Since I made those two conclusion I concluded that the ftus to you is not life otherwise you would not want to kill it. Therefore a single cell organism is life yet a fetus is not. Simple logic based on a deducgtion of your arguments made on this and other pages.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Mars finding?


@Nebrfarmr wrote:

I think you made my point for me.


When the Bible makes no mention of the other planets, or any life on them, the followers of the Bible, really shouldn't say if it is, or is not possible.

The Bible was not written, to explain the ways of the entire universe.  It was to give a brief history of mankind, as well as rules and lessons to live by. 


I am sure you have a more 'liberal' view of what the bible says than some.

 

The bible says all sorts of things that some people latch onto to say descendants of 'Adam' are the only real important life on the earth or indeed in the universe.

Lots think all life was 'created'.

 

I suggest it gives a very brief history of a small group of mankind and a lot of it is fiction.

It does give some good lessons for people to follow and it also includes a number of 'lessons' that wise people know enough not to follow.

It is not much different from other religions and indeed a number of great philosophers who give good lessons on how we should all live.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Mars finding?


@Canuck_2 wrote:

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

I think you made my point for me.


When the Bible makes no mention of the other planets, or any life on them, the followers of the Bible, really shouldn't say if it is, or is not possible.

The Bible was not written, to explain the ways of the entire universe.  It was to give a brief history of mankind, as well as rules and lessons to live by. 


I am sure you have a more 'liberal' view of what the bible says than some.

 

My philosophy is very simple.  What the Blble says 'yes' to, I say 'yes' to.  What is says 'no' to, I say 'no' to.  What isn't mentioned, I use my best judgement, but know better than to say 'the Bible says you must (or must not) do such and such', if it doesn't say it. 

 

 

The bible says all sorts of things that some people latch onto to say descendants of 'Adam' are the only real important life on the earth or indeed in the universe.

Lots think all life was 'created'.

 

Life was 'created'.  Can you give me one example, anywhere, any time, where life just 'happened'?  Can you give me any sicentific proof (or even theory) of how life can come from non-life

 

I suggest it gives a very brief history of a small group of mankind and a lot of it is fiction.

 

What part has been proven false?

 

It does give some good lessons for people to follow and it also includes a number of 'lessons' that wise people know enough not to follow.

It is not much different from other religions and indeed a number of great philosophers who give good lessons on how we should all live.

 

I would agree with that.  When I get in a discussion with someone complaining that I am a 'thumper', I like to ask them, which of the 10 commandments, cause anyone harm?  


 

 

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Mars finding?


@Taylor ECIL wrote:

Actually I made 2 assumptions. You have defended abortion feverishly. So I assumed you don't believe that a fetus is a life. Since most advanced civilizations do not want to kill human life. You say they may find life on mars. It will probably not be a complex organism with a brain and nervous system. So I assumed that you believe that a single cell organism is life. Since I made those two conclusion I concluded that the ftus to you is not life otherwise you would not want to kill it. Therefore a single cell organism is life yet a fetus is not. Simple logic based on a deducgtion of your arguments made on this and other pages.


Assumption 1) that I have defended abortion feverishly.

Wrong, I have defended the use of abortion in medically necessary situations to save the life of the woman.

I also say that the woman carrying the fetus should be the final decider not some one else's religious belief.

 

Yes a single cell is life as is the mulitple cell fetus.

 

There are reasons to abort a fetus that I can understand and would allow the woman and medical people to decide.

I am always surprised how earnest some religious people are about saving all fetuses but then think it is alright to go to war and kill and maim.

How it is wrong for a woman to abort her fetus but OK to kill a criminal.

 

i am a firm believer that there is no black and white in a decision so I will let the person most impacted decide on the right or wrong of an abortion which impacts them directly.

I am not in favour of 1 religion imposing their 'beliefs' on others.