cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Matt Taibbi on Citibank criminals

"you get busted for drugs in this country, and it turns out you can make yourself ineligible to receive food stamps. BUt you can be a serial fraud offender like Citigroup, which has repeatedly been dragged into court for the same offenses and has repeatedly ignored court injunctions to abstain from fraud, and this does not make you ineligible to receive $45 billion in bailouts and other forms of federal assistance. A normal person, once he gets a felony conviction, immediately begins to lose his rights as a citizen. BUt white collar criminals of the type we've seen in recent years on Wall Street - bboth the individuals  and the corporate "citizen" _ do not suffer these ramifications. They commit crimes without real consequence, allowing them to retain access to the full smorgasbord of subsidies and financial welfare programs, that lets face it, are the source of most of their profits"

When does it end?

I think it has been 20 years since Citibank was busted for laundering Mexican drug money, and the sleaseball corporation still is in existence, as a favored American institution.

Where is the outrage?

I think Hardnox, Bruce, Hobby et al get more outraged at federal subsidies to law abiding farmers than to felonious corporations.  Maybe there is a sense of guilt for those that inherited land or that don't pay rent. I certainly favor eliminating them all, and making a level playing field....always have.

BUt lets give the real outrage to where it belongs...the billion dollar cronyism .

Maybe the unshaven smelly protesters have it right on this one.

31 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Matt Taibbi on Citibank criminals

Democrats are very selective in the scandals that they expose.  They overlook Corzine`s shananigans, he`s too big to jail.  Citibank too big to fail.  But like the Koch brothers write out a $50 check to a Republican candidate and you`d swear that is the end of days.  If farm subsidies never came along in the first place, today there wouldn`t be these 10,000 acre clowns, that posted county price was a gov`t funded "put option" for their pyramid scheme. That and many had a debt write-off in the 80`s.

Highlighted
Advisor

Either you've been in a coma or don't recall anything that you've seen in over 2 days before.

We've been linking TIabbi articles, and BTW he writes almost exclusively on this matter, for months. And the writings of numerous others on it. And our own. Go back and look. These pages are plastered with discussion of bankster graft.

That accusation is a total made up on the spot without reflecting or investigating fabrication Red.  Welcome back, BTW.

Here's the link to the piece  you snipped:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog/woman-gets-jail-for-food-stamp-fraud-wall-street...

You couldn't spend a better couple of hours this afternoon (noon to 3 while the Ziggy's are losing) and read through the Tiabbi archive at RS. Everybody should, for that matter, if they haven't been. He's totally apolitical.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I keep hearing about this 'debt write-off'.  Does anyone know where I can get mine?

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I thought that would get you going, Bruce.

The real tragedy of this whole mess is the almost total abdication by our leaders in having a nation of law survive. How can anyone look at what is going on in the Obama administration and feel good about it?

Richard Nixon shines compared to these guys. For all of his many faults, he never took the country down to the degree that  our bought and paid for congress clowns are doing right now.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Obammma sets new standard for paying off political debt.  The guy learned his ways as Barry in another country in his formidable years.

http://www.citizens4freedom.com/Articles/tabid/1387/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/6247/US-Suprem...

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Hey Nebrfmr, you sound like a financially responsible friend of mine that when heard of the `86 farm debt write-off, waltzed into the local banker`s office and said "Yeah, I`ll take my $500,000 now, that should about do it".  A very wise man on here describes Big Shots as little shots that keep shooting, there`s some truth to that.  However as a young man starting in the 80`s trying to be responsible, my equipment wasn`t Red or Green, it was orange rust colored.  It was very disheartening to see "farmers" that broke local business by leaving them in the lurch with unpaid tabs.  One farmer, the true story is a local bank would`ve literally went totally under had they closed him out, screwing depositors.  Today many of them are the 10,000 acre BTOs.  These are irresponsible, reckless invididuals that should`ve been held accountable for their boneheadedness.  Today they are signing 3yr leases of $350/yr, money up front, buying $10,000 land, they are on the way to doing it all over again.  But why not? They`ve never had to live under the laws of physics, like gravity.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Highlighted
Advisor

I'm taking it as a good sign that someobdy on the well to the right point on the spectrum, such as you and Red would be, are finally...in good time and on your own terms of course, as it should be...taking a good hard look at this situation. We, the usual suspects here, have been beating it like a rented mule for 3 years. Good to have you on board.

Is this just a personal epiphany on the part of you two, or a reflection of some signal that has come down from on high? I'm asking that only ourt of deference to the fact that you folks all  presume all ideas and positions stated on the "other side" come about that way.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Bruce, could I talk common sense with you for one minute?  You and I probably aren`t that far apart on fiscal issues, think of me as a OWSer that has to shower everyday.  Since our country is at a very critical time economically, if there was a presidential candidate that would agree to put a moratorium on all "social issues" during his or her term in office.  In other words tell the gun control community, the homosexiual community, the illegal Mexican community, the industrial military complex community..."SORRY!!  No Mas!! we are NOT going to do ANYTHING for you!  We are going to be adults and try to put this country back on the rails!  If you freaks want anything, you are gonna have to ask the next administration because my ONLY job is to insure that there will be a next administration!".  Because with me, Newt may be the answer, but because what he said about illegal aliens, I will NOT vote for him period!  Is stupid, I know throwing a candidate under the bus over one issue, but I`m sure there are millions of others over other issues that have candidates under their buses.  However as Americans, with our survival at stake if we could put our single issues aside for 10 years and concentrate on fixing things, we could agree.  I do favor raising taxes to save the country, but NOT while Obama is in office.  I don`t want me tax money squandered on social sh!t that I don`t agree with.  We need to take that social sh!t off the table, then perhaps we can come together.