cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Maybe it's genetics?

Reading about the drug related deaths and the doctors reluctance to prescribe painkillers made wonder.  

Because I don't smoke, I don't like alcohol and as mentioned the pain killers don't seem to work very effectively for me, maybe there is a genetic composition to drug addiction.  

The only painkiller that did work for a short interval was percocet.  However I couldn't stand the way it made me feel.  The trade in lack of cognitive ability and balance for short term pain relief was completely unacceptable. Not only that but the effects were never consistent.  

That leads me to believe that some people have what I'd refer to as an addictive personality.  Doesn't make them weak or bad people just part of their makeup that somehow should be addressed.  

Years of exercise in sports and martial arts have increased my pain threshold perhaps.  I don't know.  I was talking with the pharmacist and she doesn't have any results with certain painkillers either. 

I think there should be a lot more investigation into the people that do get addicted that aren't long term welfare recipients.  People that you would have considered normal prior to their use of opioids for pain administered by a physician. 

3 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Maybe it's genetics?

whether nicotine, alcohol, prescription and over the counter drugs, including generic have different effects on different people.

The science is determining which for what and when...

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

My wife can't take benadryl, the effect on her is opposite what it has on the general population.  While a neighbor takes it to sleep it just wires my wife so she can't sleep.

Because of different people reacting to different drugs in different manners I'm suspicious that there is some connections that should be looked at regarding addiction.

Some genetic testing prior to administering drugs.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I really believe with DNA they will be able to "check" for some of the red flags in the not to distant future, some has already been done, but a lot more

to do.