cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Maybe one of you could tell me what an assault weapon is?

I expect you meant to ask for the definition of an assault rifle or gun because even my size 14 shoe could be used as an assault weapon.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Except for the ability for full automatic fire, and the 10 round magazine, you described what I want in the ideal hunting rifle:

Lightweight, and able to handle rough conditions, while still being accurate.

I think that many arms experts describe them as automatic, or select-fire weapons capable of using high-capacity magazines, in a military issue caliber.  I also think that absolute reliability is valued over absolute accuracy.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I don't know what you are intending to hunt but I want longer than a 16" barrel on a hunting rifle myself.  I don't think hunting elk or deer are going to call for a quick snap shot of 4-5 rounds personally but hey go for it.  I plan to get a military style rifle in a .22 as soon as i can just mainly because of the cost of the ammunition per amount of fun.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Depends on where you are hunting.  Where I am at, shots over 200 yards at deer are pretty rare, and I would say I got more deer under 75 yards than over.  Mostly, you are sneaking around, under, and through cedar-tree infested pockets, trying to find them.  Something that looks like a Kentucky Long Rifle, no matter how accurate, is a bigger hinderance, than a help.  Something along the lines of a M-14 in .308 caliber is more than enough, although poor folk like me wind up using a Remington auto, in .243 or .308, as they are half price.

The 4-5 quick snap shots are for when you flush out a coyote, instead of a buck.  Around here, ranchers would rather see you leave their place with a couple coyotes, for every deer you shoot (myself, included).

Oh, and speaking of which, why is an M-14 an 'assault weapon' when you can get a Remington, in the same caliber, semi-auto, isn't?   You can get high-cap mags for the Remington, if you want.

Highlighted
Advisor

It is something the US government sells to Mexican Drug Gangs

Not only did U.S. officials approve, allow and assist in the sale of more than 2,000 guns to the Sinaloa cartel -- the federal government used taxpayer money to buy semi-automatic weapons, sold them to criminals and then watched as the guns disappeared.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/26/us-government-bought-and-sold-weapons-during-fast-and-fur...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/09/26/us-government-bought-and-sold-weapons-during-fast-and-fur...

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I would imagine because all the gang bangin' rambo macho types only want the military style.  Other than that, I wouldn't have a clue.  But you guys spend all your time worrying about something that isn't going to happen in your lifetime for sure.  Saves you from actually getting something worth while thought out.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: It is something the US government sells to Mexican Drug Gangs

And to think we once had a President forced to resign because some one in his administration put a piece of tape over a door lock.

Not only have numerous people been killed, the administration wants to use this operation to further the advance of gun control. There is no limits to what the libs will do to get the guns from the hands of the law abiding citizens of this country. Wonder where the money from these ILLEGAL sales ended up.

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: It is something the US government sells to Mexican Drug Gangs

Wonder where the money from these ILLEGAL sales ended up.

It would be interesting to find that out.  Maybe the ATF has good business model and that's whay they expanded sales to Indiana.  You'd think there would be quite a markup if you were the only source a felon could go to for a gun.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Maybe it's a 1903 Springfield 30 06 with iron sides and a five round clip?

Look what it can do in the hands of someone like Herman Davis....

"On patrol in a valley near Verdun, his platoon came under fire from a German machine gun situated on a hill on Molleville Farm. Davis crawled within fifty yards of the gun and killed four enemy gunners. In other engagements, Davis was credited for killing fifteen enemy gunners in a machine gun nest and eleven enemy soldiers climbing out of a dugout. Another time, a group of enemy soldiers were trying to set up a machine gun in an area they thought was out of range of American troops. Davis shot and killed five of the enemy soldiers. He reportedly stated that 1,000 yards was “just good shootin’ distance.” Davis was honorably discharged from the Army on May 29, 1919."

Seriously, I believe when legislation is drawn that bans certain weapons, the description is what counts. I believe SKS got around some bans by modifying their stock not to fit the description of the banned weapon. There can be no law that bans something as ill-defined as an "assault weapon." It's a media and political term.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Or, maybe it is because they used one in the service, and like to shoot what they are used to.  Also, there are all kinds of surplus spare parts & mags out there.

As for not worrying about things that won't happen in my lifetime, I wish I was keeping a list of things that already happened, that someone told me, wouldn't happen in my lifetime.