cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Really, you are making this too easy

Just because you didn't get caugh, and arrested for it, doesn't mean it wasn't illegal.

You really should consider yourself lucky.  I found nothing about having to account for every round, but rather you had to have a permit, to posess handgun ammo.

Maybe next time, find a member of the DC metro police, and tell them you have a loaded, unregistered gun with you, but they can't do anything about it, because you aren't a resident of DC.  I'd be curious to learn the outcome.

Here is yet another link to DC gun laws, and a few snippets I pulled out of it, to make my point:

http://www.gunlawsbystate.com/#!/states/district-of-columbia-gun-laws/state-constitution/

(a) No person shall carry within the District of Columbia either openly or concealed on or about their person, a pistol, or any deadly or dangerous weapon capable of being so concealed. Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in § 22-4515, except that:
(1) A person who violates this section by carrying a pistol or any deadly or dangerous weapon, in a place other than the person’s dwelling place, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, shall be fined not more than $ 5,000 or imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both; or
(2) If the violation of this section occurs after a person has been convicted in the District of Columbia of a violation of this section or of a felony, either in the District of Columbia or another jurisdiction, the person shall be fined not more than $ 10,000 or imprisoned for not more than 10 years, or both.

Unless you can make the argument that the guy from Media Matters, wasn't a 'person', if he carried the gun in DC, he committed a crime.

VI. Transporting Firearms
District transport law:

§ 22-4504.02. Lawful transportation of firearms.

(a) Any person who is not otherwise prohibited by the law from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be permitted to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm [see § 22-4504.01, above] to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm if the firearm is transported in accordance with this section.

(b) (1) If the transportation of the firearm is by a vehicle, the firearm shall be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported shall be readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle.

(2) If the transporting vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console, and the firearm shall be unloaded.

(c) If the transportation of the firearm is in a manner other than in a vehicle, the firearm shall be:

(1) Unloaded;
(2) Inside a locked container; and
(3) Separate from any ammunition.

Did you adhere to those rules?

If not, you committed a crime.

The ammunition rules, were in place, at the time of the MM guy wandering around (as was a high-capacity magazine regulation) but my understanding is those were part of what was changed after the Supreme Court ruling a little while back.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: I don't know

No, you didn't.   I read your posts, and until now, you never so much as hinted, that they should be punished.  You started out asserting that they broke no crime, because the law didn't apply to them, and only after having it pointed out to you numerous times, that crimes WERE committed, you downplayed it, as no big deal.  This is your first post, that says anything about them going to jail, if found guilty.

Maybe if we want to stop unstable people from getting guns, we shouldn't be so unconcerned, when current gun laws are violated.

How do MORE laws help, when the laws already there, are only slectively enforced?

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Again, too easy

The Media Matters guy, was carrying an unregistered gun, concealed on his person, according to the article.

How did he manage, to have it unloaded, and locked in the trunk of his car, at the same time?

man of steel
Senior Contributor

Re: Again, too easy

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

You are wrong again AND this is the end of this oissing contest.  I said it looked like they only broke one law.  then you pointed out that failure to register gun, ammo, oversized magazine, concealed weapon on their person etc, etc.  I told you if they did that then they should go to jail BUT I will say that I don't believe the man brock or whatever his name is broke the law.  I haven't seen where he bought the guns anywhere.   He supplied the money for his employee to buy equipment needed to perform his job and that is not illegal anywhere in this country.  Now I quit.  You win.

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Aw, they're just pissed because Media Matters is making the Fantasy network, look like the losers they are.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

The security/bodyguard allegedly had on his person, an illegal gun, while in DC.  He was an employee of Media Matters, which is what I had said from the start.  I don't belive I ever said the guy who hired him should go to jail, but that at least an investigation should be made in the matter.

It didn't matter where the got the gun, because the carrying of ANY handgun in DC, by anyone, without the proper permits, was in violation of the law whether he was a DC resident, or not.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

GTO, I didn't know, you were for giving people a pass, when they appear to have violated gun laws.

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

If they did, I can almost guarantee you they didn't know it. I know of no person, who would violate such a law, especially, a new organization, such as Media Matteres, that would do such a thing. There is some news organizations that have ethics, and some who don't! Anyone with a brain knows, Fox doesn't.