cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Medicaid and Nursing homes

Is it fair for some people to move their sizeable assets into a trust and go on Medicaid assistance in their last years? Should it be legal?

The US Govt did pass a law about 15 years ago that any professional that worked to shelter assets and defraud the Medicaid system would be guilty of a criminal offense but that was repealed.

GW Bush and Texas had passed a law also that said adult children were to be responsible for the nursing home expenses of their parents, but that did not pass court approval and was ruled unconstitutional.

People no longer want to pay their debts, they want vacations to Europe, etc. and the h#II with the rest of the public that has to pick up the tab when they do not have resources put away for their declining years.

How many agree with that ?

23 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Medicaid and Nursing homes

Well, this is another case of "progress" that makes things worse.  Okay, 40yrs ago there were County Homes where anyone down on their luck or old & poor could go and work as much as they wanted or able on a 200 acre farm.  They`d milk cows, have a garden, just do what they were able and maintained their independence.  They had fresh food, fresh air and exercise and it didn`t cost the county much.

But, those homes were shut down and instead $200/day nursing homes are where older people are stuck.  Now, if Medicaid is cut, here is my fear...there won`t be any less "title 19" clowns going in the nursing homes, it`ll be that cost is SHIFTED down to the county property taxpayers, that`s the hell of it.   Our federal income taxes may be cut, but our property tax will double. 

But "they" come up with these damned rules that made county homes obsolete and now this system can no longer be afforded.  Instead of reversing, they`ll keep sending hardup clowns to the $200/day nursing home, right next to the richest man in town all compliments of the local property owners.

And as I understand it, up in Minnesota if an older person is living on their own and the public social worker determines they can no longer live on their own, they are forcibly moved to the nursing home....if I`m ever in that situation you can bet I`ll use the "2nd amendment solution" against them damned communists, then they can either shoot me or house me in the pen the last 5yrs of my life   Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Advisor

The current system definitely gets abused. My late mother needed some services for the last two months of her life that we were not able to furnish at our home environment so I got re-aquainted with the local retirement home. Great staff...great people and help, but very expensive.

At the same time, one couple was in there that commented that they loved the care and it was the cheapest place they could live. Guess who was picking up the tab?

Maybe that is why the clowns hate Trump/Pence (especially Pence) with such a vibrant hatred....he is not a clown and wants common sense to rule this great country again.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Wow you sure knew a lot of went on as a 10 year old.

All that knowledge and wisdom, even then,  and still no one has discovered it.

Highlighted
Advisor

Medicaid is a joint Federal/state program and most states have tightened spend down rules substantially- in IN there's a considerable clawback period on asset transfers. Not saying it isn't done but you'd better be planning well ahead.

Since some 50% of Americans have no appreciable assets you're just going to clean them out fairly quickly and then I don't know what.

Stuff like that and the continuous concern over SS and Medicare costs look to drive some substantial percentage of Americans into permanent penury- loss or reductions in those programs creates a substantial burden on working age children.

I guess the effects of that may not be felt by people who make a living off of producing subsidized raw materials for the industrial food system but it will be felt in the economy at large and ultimately in agriculture as well.

Although politically speaking, as long as you can keep them focused on high falutin' people who look down on them you're golden.

BTW, it is a poor system and I'm awaiting any policy suggestions. Actually killing off half of the old people a year or two early would do wonders for the SS and Medicare systems although I'm certain that it wouldn't change the urgent calls to cut them.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Oh yeah, I have personally seen nursing homes turn a wealthy farmer into a pauper in a matter of years.  They say a average stay in the nursing home is 18 months (you either die or get better and quickly leave) but there are cases of a husband and wife in there for 10yrs, well before land went up they`d burn a acre a week!...in 10 yrs it counts up.

But what do you do about it?  It isn`t a town wage slave`s obligation to pay extra taxes to save a Iowa family farm 4 states away.   They have a moral obligation to take care of a sick old person that`s broke by paying more taxes....all this stuff is chickens coming home to roost.  And as I`ve always said, they`ll maybe cut and balance the federal budget, but doing so is cost shifting those mandates to the county property taxpayer`s level.  As urban counties go broke, you may see elderly poor from Detroit bussed out to rural areas to go to their nursing homes.  At some point the sheriff will auction off the delinquent property tax land on the courthouse steps...wanna buy some land?   Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Anyone creepy enough to refer to his wife as " Mother " doesn't belong anyway near the govt.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

County homes worked, ask some of the oldest people you know.  My county lost their county home about 30yrs ago, one of the last to go, they sold off and rent out the last 50 acres of land, some Bigshot bought the building and remodeled it into a mansion.  But in that next election all the county supervisors were voted out  in a landslide for closing the county home down.    Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Then start a campaign to bring them back. Run for office in your locale.

Show your plan man !

Honored Advisor

Nope, it wouldn`t work, most people don`t have a pot to piss in and resent those that do.  If they can find someone else to pay gramma`s nursing home bill, that`s alright with them, not too many want the swamp drained.