cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Meritocracy

In my quest to understand what makes a liberal the way they are, I listen to countless hours of National Public Radio, yesterday Magra Chechrovardy  talked to professor Michael Sandel who is equally confused about those of us in the "Trump cult", he wrote a book The Tyranny of Merit  .   He is hostile towards Populists in the way he prefaces the answers he gives, however I will give him credit he "blames Trump`s success" partially on Democrats answer to fallout of globalism of "go git a college edukatshun...here`s some money!".  Magra Checkrovardy has to be a carry carrying commie, she was having none of it the Democrats actually were less than perfect.    I like saying "Magra Checkrovardy"  🙂

I`m sure Bruce and Nox have posters in their bedrooms of Michael Sandel hanging next to their New Kids on the Block posters  🙂

https://www.ted.com/talks/michael_sandel_the_tyranny_of_merit?language=en#t-542887   

What accounts for our polarized public life, and how can we begin to heal it? Political philosopher Michael Sandel offers a surprising answer: those who have flourished need to look in the mirror. He explores how "meritocratic hubris" leads many to believe their success is their own doing and to look down on those who haven't made it, provoking resentment and inflaming the divide between "winners" and "losers" in the new economy. Hear why we need to reconsider the meaning of success and recognize the role of luck in order to create a less rancorous, more generous civic life.

3 Replies
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

Re: Meritocracy

BA, did you see that for a measly $61, you can get the meritocracy bashing book, the latest drivel from BHO (ahem....Bill Ayers?), and one more too for the trifecta? Guess I will pass.

I can see how nutz and boritz would both love this book...it echos the theme from the BHO years "YOU didn't build that!" Makes the neighboring BTO with the prom queen and the BIL's success just seem wrong.

"This is a remarkable book about justice. In his unique and powerful moral voice, Michael Sandel digs at the roots of our divisions, dissects the causes of inequality, and dismantles the lazy orthodoxy of those on the left and the right. Accessible and profound, The Tyranny of Merit is a revelatory assessment of pervasive unfairness in our society, driven in part by a naïve and myopic reliance on the notion of merit. In a time of easy rhetoric and thoughtless tribalism, this provocative book is a must-read for anyone who still cares about the common good. You will catch yourself wondering, again and again, “Why have I never thought of it that way?” No good faith reader will come away from this book unchanged."
―Preet Bharara, former U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York and Author of Doing Justice: A Prosecutor’s Thoughts on Crime, Punishment, and the Rule of Law

“Astute, insightful, and empathetic, Sandel exposes the cruelty at the heart of some of our most beloved myths about success. A must-read for anyone struggling to understand populist resentment, and why, for many Americans, the American Dream has come to feel more like a taunt than a promise. A crucial book for this moment."
―Tara Westover, author of Educated

“The Tyranny of Merit deftly exposes the flaws and fallacies of meritocratic philosophy. In lucid, illuminating prose, Sandel makes a compelling case for uprooting inequality and building a fairer society shaped by true principles of justice. A seminal work.”
―Darren Walker, President, Ford Foundation

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Red, Sandel a Ivy League (Harvard) professor blasts a merit based ideology ...there`s some irony there, just like Governor Newsome partying at a Michelin restaurant while Californians are in lockdown and Mayor DeBlastero is driven to the gym to workout while NYC is locked down, the hypocrisy among the elite is overbearing!

He told Checkrovardy that LeBron James and his God given basketball talents wouldn`t have done him any good during the Renaissance when talents to create paintings and sculptures were rewarded, hundreds of years before basketball.  But him and Checkrovardy mull over if we reset back to "equality" it wouldn`t last because a garbageman is only worth so much where people (stupid people) will pay $100`s to watch Lebron play basketball.  I`m just not that into professional sports anymore, how many times does one have to watch perfect players double dribble and travel without consequences to dunk a basketball in a 100 to 90 game?  Just rewatch the 1997 or 2005 season and get your fill is my opinion of it all.  I much more enjoy a high school game where I know most of the kids and parents of both teams and one of the refs is the Bomgaar`s store manger. 

But I don`t add to Lebron James` salary and I do think that garbagemen are underpaid, i`m doing my part, it`s them damned liberal basketball fans that spend $200 for tickets and vote for taxpayer money for new arenas that are responsible for the culture we`re in.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

The scions of the Trump and Kushner families seem an excellent example of the meritocracy.