cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox
Advisor

Michigan Emergency Manager Law

OK. A bit of history here.

In 2012 the people of Michigan voted for a referendum that struck down the existing Emergency Manager Law.

Upon convening the Republican controlled legislature immediatedly passed another Emergency Manager authorization and attached it to a small appropriations bill that meant that, under Michigan Law, it could not be reversed by referendum. Governor Snyder signed it.

An emergency manager was then appointed to Flint and the subsequent events are now history.

It is true that a low level EPA official was made aware of some concerns of Flint residents in July of 2015, approximately a year after the problems had arisen and following more than a year of avoidance by state officials. The higher official who failed to follow up on the concerns expressed by that individual has been fired.

The Michigan GOP and the Snyder Addminstration owns this problem which, in addition to the enormous human cost, will cost Michigan and perhaps US taxpayers untold $Billions.

Worth noting that in the last quarter, 50% of the contributions to Michigan Republicans and related PACs have come from 10 members of the DeVos family of Grand Rapids (Amway).

The ultimate question here isn't even about the matter of how we'll deal with insolvent localities going forward, it is about basic competence and decency, particularly in regards to putting ideological political hacks in charge.

It feels like the Green Zone in Baghdad ca. 2005. And that turned out well, didn't it?

7 Replies
UNIranch
Senior Contributor

Re: Michigan Emergency Manager Law

But Nox....Horton says that if Govt would get out of the way things in Flint woudnt of happened(he referenced that this is what you get when Govt intervenes)....LOL...isnt this a Public Works thingy?....but what do I know???LOL!

How about Horton explain what he meant...bet he dont or cant...what say you ohh wise one Horton...Is the water issue in Flint a Govt responsibility?

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

And this is what took front and center stage today in the Michigan Legislature, TODAY!!  What the hell is wrong with these ignorant bastages?? With all the problems in Michigan, and this was a priority???

http://bipartisanreport.com/2016/02/08/enforcing-this-new-bill-is-going-to-be-a-pain-in-the-ass-for-...

hardnox
Advisor

Do you suppose it applies to what Dick DeVos did to Flint?

r3020
Senior Advisor

@hardnox wrote:

OK. A bit of history here.

In 2012 the people of Michigan voted for a referendum that struck down the existing Emergency Manager Law.

Upon convening the Republican controlled legislature immediatedly passed another Emergency Manager authorization and attached it to a small appropriations bill that meant that, under Michigan Law, it could not be reversed by referendum. Governor Snyder signed it.

An emergency manager was then appointed to Flint and the subsequent events are now history.

It is true that a low level EPA official was made aware of some concerns of Flint residents in July of 2015, approximately a year after the problems had arisen and following more than a year of avoidance by state officials. The higher official who failed to follow up on the concerns expressed by that individual has been fired.

The Michigan GOP and the Snyder Addminstration owns this problem which, in addition to the enormous human cost, will cost Michigan and perhaps US taxpayers untold $Billions.

Worth noting that in the last quarter, 50% of the contributions to Michigan Republicans and related PACs have come from 10 members of the DeVos family of Grand Rapids (Amway).

The ultimate question here isn't even about the matter of how we'll deal with insolvent localities going forward, it is about basic competence and decency, particularly in regards to putting ideological political hacks in charge.

It feels like the Green Zone in Baghdad ca. 2005. And that turned out well, didn't it?

Nox, the question is why is there a need for an emergency manager at all. What lead to the crisis.

hardnox
Advisor

1). Deindustrialization. Hard to pin all of that on trade and wage differentials either, because GM's management was a totally boneheaded bunch.

2). Sprawl economics. There are actually some very nice suburbs around Flint. But the people who moved there were able to jump away from the legacy costs of the old cities, and took the tax base with them.

And, they were subsidized by the existing tax base to do it. When we build roads and infrastructure to accomodate sprawl it taps the existing tax base which will never see a full return on that investment. But it is what we call economic growth. And not surprisingly, the people who escaped those costs don't want to pay for it now, or ever.

As I've said, I am interested in a conversation on how to deal with insolvent municipalities and states. I don't think it is going to happen here. And whatever it is it took a huge hit from the handling of the Flint situation. I don't know if the I'm more appalled by the contempt for human beings involved or just the sheer incompetence.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@hardnox wrote:

1). Deindustrialization. Hard to pin all of that on trade and wage differentials either, because GM's management was a totally boneheaded bunch.

2). Sprawl economics. There are actually some very nice suburbs around Flint. But the people who moved there were able to jump away from the legacy costs of the old cities, and took the tax base with them.

And, they were subsidized by the existing tax base to do it. When we build roads and infrastructure to accomodate sprawl it taps the existing tax base which will never see a full return on that investment. But it is what we call economic growth. And not surprisingly, the people who escaped those costs don't want to pay for it now, or ever.

As I've said, I am interested in a conversation on how to deal with insolvent municipalities and states. I don't think it is going to happen here. And whatever it is it took a huge hit from the handling of the Flint situation. I don't know if the I'm more appalled by the contempt for human beings involved or just the sheer incompetence.

Demographics changed but government did not. You can have all of the conversations you want but government will not changed until it is forced to do so. Giving them funds is no different than give drugs to an addict. This is a Michigan problem and must be solved by the people of Michigan.

hardnox
Advisor

I'm relatively sure it will mostly remain an intrastate matter- you're safe. The MI legislative repubs tried to play the EPA card on the first day but it apparently landed with a thud on all but the most willfully ignorant.

You guys might actually want to tone it down on the EPA thing because if there was primary responsibility there you are on the hook. That didn't stop the usual suspects from going to the RW toilet and grabbing a handful of $%^& to throw at the wall.

BTW, speaking about crazy, it is undeniable that people in Ohio are poisoned by mercury from Indiana's coal fired plants. The reason they can't sue you is because those discharges occur under an EPA permit.

Anyway, for anyone who cares the Flint situation is a perfect example of what happens when some billionaires and their likeminded folk seize power and run government like a business.