cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Mike Rowe Schools Bernie Sanders on Labor.

Sanders wants to give everyone free college "cause it`s a helluva lot cheaper than housing them in prison"...Bernie Sanders is nuts, first of all that`s why college costs so much is it`s too easy to get money to go to university and that drives up tution and room and board costs. 

Secondly, not everyone is "college material" a trade school where they learn plumbing or to be an electrician or a mechanic, they`ll never be unemployed.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/mike-rowe-takes-on-bernie-sanders-over-the-nature-of-americas-labor...

52 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Mike Rowe Schools Bernie Sanders on Labor.

So that is why you want to oppress wages? To keep your competition from driving your costs higher. You don'twant to pay people more. You don't want anyone else to increase their paycheck and youdon't want them educated so that they might earn more.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if you were the only one with money? Everything would be dirt cheap and you could be the only one with money. You don't expect much do you?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Givin your history here, you must be talking to yourself again.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@OKdon wrote:

So that is why you want to oppress wages? To keep your competition from driving your costs higher. You don'twant to pay people more. You don't want anyone else to increase their paycheck and youdon't want them educated so that they might earn more.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if you were the only one with money? Everything would be dirt cheap and you could be the only one with money. You don't expect much do you?

Aren't you the one who goes to a foriegn country to get cheap services so you don't have to pay American wages? If college cost are too high in this country students can always go to Mexico to receive an education. Heck, now they can go to Cuba. I hear they also have great health care in that country.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

No, the answer to low wages is simple in the extreme, do not let Mexicans or any other poor foreigners into this country and kick out all that you can. That will limit the labor labor of available workers FORCING employers to pay a Living Wage.   If a company moves their factories overseas for cheaper labor and looser regulations, then slap a tariff on those products coming back into this country, that will make it uncompetitive to outsource labor and the tariff will off set the COST to this country of not being fully employed.

We`ve got people with college degrees, right now that are under-employed flipping hamburgers.  There are 3 kinds of people 1. Smart alecks like my #1 Son that can get a degree put on a tie and go clicky-clack at a computer and make a fortune.  2, Skilled people that can overhaul a diesel engine in an afternoon or fabricate parts at a metal lathe.  3. or people like me that were born with a strong back and a weak mind that need to live by the sweat of our brows...and the system has screwed us.  It would make no sense to send those of us in that last group to higher education, it would be a waste of money, which is what Bernie is proposing.

Shrink the labor pool by ending immigration unless the immigrants are smart or rich, we already have enough grunt work workers.  Those of us pea pickers already here don`t need the extra competition.   Do that and you`ll all but end terrorism as well.

Highlighted
Advisor

I don't think Bernie has ever said everybody should go to college.

But three is some inequity assumed in that and its why I think that free community college makes a lot more sense because it reaches into the skilled trades.

Almost anyone getting a useful 4 year degree can swing 2 years at a state university. If parents want to fund a 4 year college experience that's their right.

That's not going to hurt strong institutions in the least- they already turn away thousands of qualified students a year and then wash out a quarter to half in the first two years.

It would kill the bottom feeders and BTW, the college debt problem really exploded in 2005 when the usual suspects got their wholly owned administration and congress to open up student loans to for-profit "institutions".  Since there's a lag time the consequences of that action are just starting to really hit the delinquency numbers.

That isn't a convenient story for culture warriors who love to hate higher ed, but it is true.

Highlighted
Advisor

Also, as far as "the ususal suspects" i.e. investment banks and private equity operators who did big deals financing for-profit higher ed, they would be delirious if free colege extended to them, but correctly fear that in Bernieworld it wouldn't.

Higher Ed is one of the front lines of the culture wars as evidenced in places like Iowa where hard right appointed regents are gonna, by god, fix it.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@hardnox wrote:

I don't think Bernie has ever said everybody should go to college.

But three is some inequity assumed in that and its why I think that free community college makes a lot more sense because it reaches into the skilled trades.

Almost anyone getting a useful 4 year degree can swing 2 years at a state university. If parents want to fund a 4 year college experience that's their right.

That's not going to hurt strong institutions in the least- they already turn away thousands of qualified students a year and then wash out a quarter to half in the first two years.

It would kill the bottom feeders and BTW, the college debt problem really exploded in 2005 when the usual suspects got their wholly owned administration and congress to open up student loans to for-profit "institutions".  Since there's a lag time the consequences of that action are just starting to really hit the delinquency numbers.

That isn't a convenient story for culture warriors who love to hate higher ed, but it is true.

Who hates higher ed? And the reason student loans exploded is because the government made it easier to get student loans. And guess what, college tutions also exploded. Government student loan programs was a gift to colleges. Now that Big Government has created this mess it comes riding in on a white horse with the solution. More tax payer dollars.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

All you and ba and all the other rightwingers ever think about is solving America's problems on the backs of seniors and poor people.  Cut welfare, cut SS,make it harder to get financial aid for college!!  Well, screw you!

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Nox.  3020 is 100% right on this, college isn`t cheap, but the availablity of "cheap money" to go to school is and that raises education costs.  I see it at ISU there`s over 30,000 students and they just overwhelm the city`s infrastructure, it just wasn`t designed to handle all those kids.  All other schools I know of are in the same predicament, if you`re a university and you`re already at 105% of capacity, there is no incentive to hold tutition rates steady and these student loans are something that can be put on the backburner as far as paying back.  i`m sure banks don`t handle them for free, but there has to be much easier loans to make that have collateral behind them instead of the "blue sky" of a future degree in Egyptian pottery or whatever.

If Bernie got in and got his way with free 2 year college...it isn`t "free", somebody is paying and the community colleges would have alot of customers that would just use the "free college" as a way of putting off getting a job or honestly taking out a student loan in combination with part-time work.

Bernies` plan would fail just like Obamacare.  You see how insurance companies jack up premiums on everyone...it`d be the same way with college tuition.