cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Re: Mike Rowe on Trump

WCMO I do not think my way of wording it is wrong and youmight try to word it a different way to make it more 'acceptable' but the fact remains that the most votes went to the one who did not get the prize.

How did that work out the last time it happened in your country?

BTW I noticed an article this morning looking the 'popularity' ranking of your president elect and I think it said he was 20 % points lower than any other elected president had been at this point after an election.

Yes the majority did not approve of him already and he has not even had a chance to do anything.

Think it may a first for that?

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Wcmo, why is it that every other election from city dog catcher to members of Congress, the person with the most votes wins? If we are really a republic shouldn't the elections all be the same way? Congress has al the power and they are elected by a simple majority. Why do we still have an archaic election system for largely a symbolic position? Only the president isn't a majority election so the argument that many are saying on the net really isn't valid.
NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

Some people don't think you are an American.

Actually many people are saying this.

I'm not saying it is true, but I bet it is.

WCMO
Senior Advisor

1 -- "the most votes went to the one who did not get the prize"

No problem.  The electoral system can do that, and it is by design, not accidental.

2 -- "How did that work out the last time it happened in your country?"

Doesn't matter.

3 -- "BTW I noticed an article this morning looking the 'popularity' ranking of your president elect and I think it said he was 20 % points lower than any other elected president had been at this point after an election"

It doesn't really matter at this point, and we'll never know for sure, yet I'd wager a Clinton win would have also recorded a record low popularity ranking.  But look at the bright side, with Trump's rankings/ratings so low at this point in time, almost anything positive should make things look better.

WCMO
Senior Advisor

I didn't say it was 'right' or 'wrong', just that that's the way it is.

People within localities and their respective states cast their votes, the states essentially elect the President.  The people are represented since they voted into office those people who represent them.  Most (not all) states require the electoral votes to represent the result of the popular vote for President within their respective state, on an all-or-none basis.

If not for the electoral system, the most populated areas would dictate the Presidential election results.

When it comes to the electoral system, if you're asking if it is 'right' or 'wrong', one must also then consider why we have a Senate AND House, and why legislation must pass thru both, not just the House.

One person's 'archaic' is another person's 'genius design'.

gurly3801539
Advisor

Not saying it is right or wrong but the Preidential slot is the only vote that is National.  Every thing else is a state or local issue.  The Nation is a republic the states and localities are not.

hardnox
Advisor

Ya don't think that reality TV entrepreneurs ever play to their audience do you?

Actually, he might be the next President as we just had one ride the gig all the way.

rawhide
Advisor

He would probably be a good one.....He has common sense