cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SellerB
Frequent Contributor

Military spends too much on music, sports promos

Mn US Dem congresswoman MCCOLLUM proposes to cut  Pentagon budget.

"This week, the U.S. House of Representatives will debate a $608 billion defense appropriations bill, the largest piece of the federal government's discretionary budget. As a member of the House Appropriations and Budget committees, I take my responsibility for fiscal oversight seriously. That is why I will be offering two amendments to cut wasteful defense programs by $260 million and direct the savings toward reducing the deficit.

The first amendment I will offer with Rep. Jack Kingston, a Georgia Republican, ends the Pentagon's professional sports sponsorship program and puts the saving toward reducing the deficit. You may be surprised to learn that taxpayers are spending $80 million this year to sponsor NASCAR and Indy car racing teams, professional bass fishing and ultimate fighting. Pentagon officials claim these subsidies are crucial for military recruitment -- but the facts say otherwise.

In May, USA Today reported that the National Guard's $26.5 million taxpayer-funded contract with Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s No. 88 NASCAR team resulted in the National Guard being "contacted by more than 24,800 individuals expressing interest in joining." Of these contacts, the National Guard spokesperson said that "20 were qualified candidates and that none joined." That's right, $26.5 million for zero recruits.

The Army cannot even produce numbers to demonstrate the effectiveness of its $8.4 million NASCAR sponsorship. All the national media attention on this issue may explain why the Army announced last week that it is ending its 10-year NASCAR sponsorship program, which an Army spokesperson described on CNN as "not a great investment." The Navy and Marines came to the same conclusion and cut their NASCAR sponsorships years ago.

The second amendment I will offer reduces spending on military bands by $188 million in 2013. Over the past four years, the Pentagon spent an incredible $1.55 billion (yes, that's billion) on military music. The Defense Department is proposing to spend $388 million in the coming year on 140 military bands and over 5,000 full-time professional musicians.

Military music has a long, proud tradition. However, borrowing $4 billion over the next 10 years from China to pay for the Navy Band New Orleans, the Air Force Falconaires jazz ensemble or the Army Medical Command Band does not advance our national security interests. I hope my House colleagues, especially Tea Party Republicans, will support my amendment.

11 Replies
johnaa
Advisor

Re: Military spends too much on music, sports promos

"In May, USA Today reported that the National Guard's $26.5 million taxpayer-funded contract with Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s No. 88 NASCAR team resulted in the National Guard being "contacted by more than 24,800 individuals expressing interest in joining." Of these contacts, the National Guard spokesperson said that "20 were qualified candidates and that none joined." That's right, $26.5 million for zero recruits."  I imagine they failed the IQ test.  ROFLMAO

bruce MN
Advisor

Democrat Amy sounds like an actual conservative. What's with that?
bruce MN
Advisor

Correction. Betty. Not Amy.
SellerB
Frequent Contributor

This is some actual common sense.  I have often wondered why the military is sponsoring NASCAR.

That's my tax money!  And a good example of "big govt" spending too much.  ( but remember, several months ago the congress approved a bloated pentagon budget by adding $8 billion to Obama's request.   and the Pentagon said they didn't need it!

What else could be cut?  How about cutting the NRCS?  How about cutting staff with the state scales, that give truckers such a headache?

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: If they could drink what the national guard is selling

they would have better results.

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

How about cutting staff with the state scales, that give truckers such a headache?

That's one thing, you should think over a little more, seller. Truckers by nature are not very bright, if they can they will push the safety issue, to the limit for 10 bucks more revenue. What needs to be done, is allow the farmers at harvest time, a pass, as long as they are making an honest attempt at complying with the law. What really burned me was the way they treated you, like you were some kind of criminal. 

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Where's our little buddy, 3520? He's always squawkin' about big government? When it's always the Republicans defending the Pentagon spending. NASCAR? What bullshiit! Thanks for the eye-opener, seller!

r3020
Senior Advisor

@GreaTOne_65 wrote:

Where's our little buddy, 3520? He's always squawkin' about big government? When it's always the Republicans defending the Pentagon spending. NASCAR? What bullshiit! Thanks for the eye-opener, seller!

I'm glad they made cuts. I hope the pentagon makes more cuts along with all parts of the federal govenment. Freeze the debt ceiling forever.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Good that they are sponsoring a bill to cut back on some waste.  Now, they need to start going over some other departments with a fine-tooth come, and I bet we'll all be surprised (well, a lot of us at least) at just how much the government spends on things that aren't exactly 'critical', for that department to do its job.