cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox604008
Advisor

Mosquito bites

I have seen warm winters before so I'm not drawing any larger conclusions but don't recall getting eaten by mosquitos on the 14th of March before.

My wife and I took Hillary for a walk last night and both got bitten.

BTW, Hillary is the pit bull who our son found starving and going through his garbage a few years ago. That would be despite the fact that we'd told our kids that it is a really bad idea that all the college kids get dogs these days. It is a bad idea because when they graduate and get jobs the dogs become their parent's dogs.

Hillary is really very sweet despite some residual from what was probably not a very nice early existence. My biggest problem is that she thinks I'm her siamese twin and sometimes I'd like to just go to the bathroom by myself for a few minutes. Oh well, at least I don't lack for companionship.

Although I wouldn't regard her as more aggressive with people than other large dogs she does tend to scare them a little bit.

10 Replies
KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Re: Mosquito bites

Down in "The Arkansas," I don't think this last winter we had even a dozen days where it was freezing and I doubt the temp dipped below 29 degrees all winter. My wife had two plants on the porch called million bells - just an annual garden flower. Anyway, both of them survived the winter and they should have been as dead as doornails. At least the tomatoes in the garden froze. It's been 80 degrees or more all this week and it continues in the forecast. I had to mow the lawn last week. FWIW, I'm not saying anything here to imply any vast liberal conspiracies of global takeover, just observations. I'm sure there were record low temps somewhere on Earth.

I did the college dog thing to my parents too. I thinik it's a common thing to happen. Good luck with the pooch. Any breed of dog is a good dog if you train them right.

Samnospam
Advisor

I'm not sure pit bulls totally deserve their bad rap. I don't think percentage wise they are much more aggressive than many other breeds (given similar environs), its just they can be so much more destructive than others if they do chose to attack.
hardnox604008
Advisor

Of course we have no idea where she came from but our operating theory is that she was guarding a meth lab on the other side of the state and when it blew up she ran through a few counties before looking back.

Samnospam
Advisor

Can't say I wouldn't be paranoid with it around kids.
GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Our daughter, left us with a pit bull, too. She was a really nice dog, the only one she didn't like was the UPs man. She didn't bite just barked her head off. The Doberman that we had at the time was another great dog, but Roxie, the pit bull, somehow convinced Sheba, the Doberman, that she shouldn't like the UPs man either. So between the 2 of them, they pretty much convinced the UPs man he wasn't that welcome in the yard. Really quite funny, because neither one of them were biters, just barkers.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

You are just lucky it was not these fellows biting you.

Jurassic Giant Fleas Likely Preyed Upon Hairy or Feathered Hosts

these ancient fleas were wingless and distinctly larger than recent fleas with body lengths of 14–20.6 mm (.5 to almost an inch) in females and 8–14.7 mm (about .25-.5 inch) in males.  

http://biodiversity.ku.edu/newsroom/jurassic-giant-fleas-likely-preyed-upon-hairy-or-feathered-hosts

They are also described as having mouth parts like saws for taking a bite.

hardnox604008
Advisor

Dogs are infintitely fascinating.

Apparently pits were originally bred as true bulldogs and often owned by butchers. Probably as good as you're going to get for a friend in a tight corner with a bull or boar.

Hillary is definitely is reflexively aggressive with other animals. Interestingly though with other dogs she'll mix it up but not bite or at least doesn't initiate biting. The problem of course is if things would escalate she has the means to finish it and if a person tried to get in the way, uh oh. And if there's a problem involving a pit bull, fergeddaboudit, they're going to take the rap.

I was originally not real thrilled to find he had her and actually immediately added a $1 million personal liability rider on our insurance. Even though he took good care of her he'd tell of times when she'd come in contact with other student's dogs and said that she would just go up, get 60 pounds of low slung muscle under them and put them on their backs where they'd go submissive. He said that included once with a 150# bull mastiff.

So we're basically happy to have gotten through that without incident and glad to have her with us where there's little potential for trouble.

However..... a couple of years ago he was home with her, it must have been Memorial Day because the firemen in town were out at intersections collecting for Jerry's Kids. She was laying on the seat of the truck next to me and when I stopped a fireman walked up and stuck his bucked in the passenger side window. Poor guy jumped back so fast he tripped on the curb, the bucket and money went flying over his head......

We've developed an interest in the breed. If you have a moment here's a good story about Sergeant Stubby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergeant_Stubby

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Anyone that keeps a pit bull or other breed of  canine around that has been bred to attack maim, and/or kill must have a screw loose. Many communites have allright bans against ownership of these miscreants, I cannot for the life of me see why every town would not ban them.

Obviously you realize this too, as the addition of a million extra liability protection would indicate. So you choose to protect yourself, assuming the pitbull never turns on you, and place others in danger.

Not to be a killjoy, but I personally know of women and children that have been attacked for just being small people looking like prey to one of these animals. If I lived in town and the neighbor had a pitbull , I would do the right thing and poison the dog without any qualms. None.

hardnox604008
Advisor

You obviously don't know a lot about dogs.

But in general I agree that there are better breeds for purely companion animals and my first absolute demand was that she be spayed. The direction I'd prefer to see taken with the breed is that they only would be bred to the very small extent that their particular characteristics are required in the modern world and that exisiting animals within the breed that haven't been mistreated to a degree that makes them unreliable be taken care of where they aren't likely to be mistreated or put in situations that isn't appropriate to their characteristics.

Small yippy dogs are a lot more likely to bite people and they're actually the big problem with bully type breeds because they're 10 times crazier and stupid enough to want to fight something that will have them for lunch.

We've had great goldens and labs but there are plenty of cases of people injured by those breeds too.

I'm not in the least bit worried about this dog as long as we're handling her but the problem is as I mentioned- if there's a problem involving a pit bull they are automatically at fault.