Did you mean: 
johnaa
Advisor

Movie of a navy vessel in a A-bomb test

12 Replies
KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Re: Movie of a navy vessel in a A-bomb test

Good to see you have a sense of humor John. On the darker side, those tests displaced the residents of the Bikini Islands. The islands are still too radioactive for them to return. Poor islander slobs had no choice. Also, those ships all had goats on them to see what effect the blast had on them - not all died right away. Some test ships were set close to ground zero, some were set more distant. It was all designed to test the bomb's effects. Probably the worst thing besides destroying Bikini was that some observation ships were set so close that the men on them got a pretty good dose of radioactivity. Many developed cancer which of course, could not be directly linked to the test, but bits of shell and sand rained down on them as well as the "wind" from the test. I think we never took responsibility for the men exposed and the islanders displaced with no choice. Maybe it was all necessary. Maybe they could have picked somewhere that no peple lived. I am sure we would have done it differently had we known more about radioactivity. Just some historic perspective. There is an excellent documentary film on this subject, bit the curious will have to look it up.

bruce MN
Advisor

Why do you hate America?

"groan"

Seriously, I've seen a documentary on  Bikini Islands and the aftermath,  No idea of it's the one you were talking about.  On PBS, who also hates America, of course.

johnaa
Advisor

"There are means that cannot be excused. And I should like to be able to love my country and still love justice. I don't want just any greatness for it, particularly a greatness born of blood and falsehood. I want to keep it alive by keeping justice alive". --- Albert Camus

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

You got that I hate America from that? Groan....louder than your groan! So we did bomb tests wrong, mostly out of ignorance duing a different time and I hate America for pointing that out? Not the case, but I have often posted how I love this country in the face of those saying it has gone to hell. I really can't believe you would accuse me of hating America, but you did.

Yes, it was a PBS documentary and I thought they did a fair job of it. I suppose one could take the other view and see the testing as progress full steam ahead with no perspective. I'll listen to that, but you didn't make a case for your point of view.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Good quote.

bruce MN
Advisor

Ooops.  Sorry. A bad attempt at being clever, being facitious..  Didn't mean it literally at all.  Channeling Stephen Colbert  I guess, as he asks that often of anybody who exposes a peek at the underbelly.

Really sorry.  I guess that johnaa didn't pick up on it either. Will know better next time.

The whole  from spillover from nuke testing is actually quite a story.  Also provided for some good fiction. Was central to the plot of a rather good movie, "Mulholland Falls".

Sorry again.  I always value your contributions  here immensely.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

No problem, understood in retrospect and in context. That's the problem with internet communications as opposed to verbal communications where one can hear the tone and inflections in a voice. I was indeed surprised, but should have picked up on your true intent. My apologies as well.

johnaa
Advisor

I have no idea why you think I didn't understand you were being sarcastic, and relate to your meaning, I use that shtick myself ? 

My post was in agreement with Knappers comment about the callous and unjust manner of the government not taking responsibility for the harm they did to the People they displaced nor the men who were exposed.  

The basturd scum never change their stripes, same things over and over, Diego Garcia, SE Asia, the middle east, drones, etc. too many crimes to list.   All disgrace the Honor of the USA and lead the Sheeple to worship violence and disregard for human rights.  

This is not a age of reason, but a dark age.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@KNAPPer wrote:

Good to see you have a sense of humor John. On the darker side, those tests displaced the residents of the Bikini Islands. The islands are still too radioactive for them to return. Poor islander slobs had no choice. Also, those ships all had goats on them to see what effect the blast had on them - not all died right away. Some test ships were set close to ground zero, some were set more distant. It was all designed to test the bomb's effects. Probably the worst thing besides destroying Bikini was that some observation ships were set so close that the men on them got a pretty good dose of radioactivity. Many developed cancer which of course, could not be directly linked to the test, but bits of shell and sand rained down on them as well as the "wind" from the test. I think we never took responsibility for the men exposed and the islanders displaced with no choice. Maybe it was all necessary. Maybe they could have picked somewhere that no peple lived. I am sure we would have done it differently had we known more about radioactivity. Just some historic perspective. There is an excellent documentary film on this subject, bit the curious will have to look it up.

My uncle served on those ships after WW2 involved in some of the nuclear testing. Not sure what year it started but after he retired he was to fill out a questionnaire every year about any health problem he had linked to the testing. He had none. He said the navy paid for the health problems some of his shipmates did have. He said he did not know if it was related to the nuclear test or not.