cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Movie review: The Free State of Jones

The Wife and I went to the Jones movie and it really is good.  I was doing my McCounaughey imitation on the way to the show..and there`s a scene where Knight`s ex-wife moves in with him and his new wife..my Wife whispers to me "2 women...alright, alright, alright" Smiley Very Happy 

But, the movie shows the dangers of a fascist government and confiscatory taxes.  Also citizen ownship of guns is shown in a positive light...without guns the common people and ex-slaves of Jones and Soso counties would`ve been dead ducks.  I had to laugh and I bet it frosted the liberal screen writers to put in the movie the fact that the south was run by Democrats.  There were 23 Republicans voting, but the crooked Democrats only counted 2 of their votes...I see not much has changed in the last 150 years.

But here is history vs Hollywood on the Jones movie.   It was pretty accurate for a Hollywood flick and the actors were very close looking to the actual people.   There may be spoilers in this link, so be aware f that.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/free-state-of-jones/

6 Replies
jleithliter1961
Frequent Contributor

Re: Movie review: The Free State of Jones

I think you will find if you study it a little, the two parties pretty well changed philosophies as the years went by.  A possible exception would be the Dixiecrats.  However, by and large, the majority of the membership of both parties have adopted the other's planforms.  The movie itself is exceptional. A fairly accurate portrayal of history and outstanding acting performances by several in the movie.  I smell several Oscar nominations at least.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I thought it was a very good movie but one guy sitting in front of my wife and I got up and walked out with about 45 minutes to go.

hardnox
Advisor

Not doing well at the box office I gather- probably a much better commercial bet in the present tense to produce something with a more simplistic view of American Exceptionalism.

I do think it is a worthy, and probably pointless, endeavor to take a more comprehensive look at the Confederacy.

Across the Ohio in Kentucky there are confederate memorials scattered all around despite the fact that the state never left the Union and contributed more men to it than it did the confederacy. Which begs the conclusion that the "history" of the confederacy is something other than that.

My conclusion for those who don't want to draw it is that it was more a statement of allegiance to Jim Crow.

Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

My wife and I saw this movie tonight. I would say it's one of the best movies I've seen in a while. I took a college history class years ago and I remember learning about free counties or regions within the confederacy. While history takes a good look at the major events that took place within the civil war, the "free" counties or regions are often overlooked. While the union won the war, the death of Abraham Lincoln really made reconstruction of the south a mess for black people.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I agree, it is a very good movie.  What I like about movies such as that, they inspire one to read up on the history beyond the movie.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Look at the way movies have changed in Hollywood.  There was The Outlaw Josey Wales, one of the best movies ever made IMO and the Confederacy were the good guys and the Union was the thugs.  Jesse James has been protrayed as a hero in every movie I`ve seen about him, right up to the latest one staring Colin Farrel.  There was the Dukes of Hazzard, with the General Lee car and Stars & Bars on the roof, Scooby Doo shows i watched as a kid protrayed the Confederacy in a positive light.

I`m not going out on a limb here at all in saying that the worm has turned and from here forth there will never be another movie made protraying the south in a positive light.

Just an observation.