cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox604008
Advisor

Mrs. Santorum

I can't find the article on Santorum on line but in the most recent edition there is a lengthy piece on Santorum.

One thing that nearly dropped my jaw off the floor was the brief background story that before the couple met, the future Mrs. Santorum was living with an OB/Gyn who was 40 years her senior and who operated an abortion clinic.

I suppose there is a cheap joke in there about getting out before the shooting started but I'm honestly not out to tarnish her reputation- I believe people's views change- but was just struck by how really, really weird reality is.

The story goes on to say that Santorum's relatively recent rebirth as a hard line social conservative has been influenced by his father-in-law who is a retired professor of genetics and has developed strong views about the direction of that science and eugenics.

18 Replies
hardnox604008
Advisor

Re: Mrs. Santorum

add-That is in the most recent edition of TIME.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

you may find interesting also the story of both Moses, Saul of Tarsus, and other conversions in both the old and new testaments. Many people in life undergo profound transformations . The director of the movie The Ten Commandments...Cecil DeMille became religious during the filming of that epic , too, as the story of the Egyptian prince that  willingly gave up his royal robes to become an exile in the desert marked for death,  evidently awakened something inside of the director's soul.

Saul, a roman citizen that had persecuted Christians,  became Paul, widely regarded as one of the most influential individuals to ever walk on our planet. Paul was the vessel that God used to bring the message of Christianity to the world.

Even Pontius Pilate, (the Roman governor of Judea that we Christians each Sunday make note of his officiating over the death and crucifixion of Jesus the Christ as we recite our creeds), is thought, by at least the Egyptian Coptic Christian church to have undergone a complete transformation and became a Christian after his contact with Jesus. Pontius Pilate is a saint in the Coptic church for his later good works after becoming a Christian.

I don't think Christians find the story of how Rick Santorum's wife made the transition from being used by an abortion doctor to being the wife of a very Christian and upright young man all that strange. What is strange is how many people do not open their hearts up to such transformations. It only takes a spark , to get a fire going.

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

I don't think Christians find the story of how Rick Santorum's wife made the transition from being used by an abortion doctor to being the wife of a very Christian and upright young man all that strange.

No, I don't suppose they will, as long as it's a Republican, just don't let it be the President of the United States. Nothing but hypocrites.

hardnox604008
Advisor

This is a general commentary based on the fact that I am a bit older than they are but nearly a contemporary and certainly lived in those times.

The late 70s and early 80s were really a foul period- all the lines had been blurred and nothing had come along to replace the old order.  I was somewhat and not entirely removed from what a lot of my contemporaries were experiencing but often wondered how people were going to feel about how they'd lived those years when they got older.

Generalizations don't hold completely but I am distinctly of the opinion that many people who were very much caught up in the mores of the time became all the more righteous as they got older, married, had families.

Which, given my deep belief in the  generational view of history is completely consistent with how a dominant/idealist generation would behave- the world is supposed to conform to wherever they are in the life cycle.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

you know, if was just Barry whatever, I would welcome the guy as my next door neighbor. Probably much more so than any of the republican candidates. But when this guy sets himself up as the messiah, the zero gets ridiculed by me, and rightly so.  I do not doubt that the Obama's are sincere people in what they believe.  THey are just utterly wrong about just about everything. Just like you are.

bruce MN
Advisor

How does that play out with most political observers constantly talking about how much the administration is moving "to the cetner" or "to the right".

What are the issues and positions you feel  make up "just about everything"?  The track taken on health insurance reform was a Republican proposal.  He hasn't prosectued crooked bankers (free market capititists, No?) even though there is a sizable bunch of them that in nearly any other time in the history of organized governments and treasuries would have been summarily drawn and quartered, boiled in oil or guilliotined.

What besides loooking the same every morning in the mirror is it that has you so strung out on him?  If it's not speeding up the withdrawal from Afghanistan or not prosecuting financial and lending fraud I'm with you.  100%.  On those issues.  Which would be much, much worse had McCain been elected with Leiberman and Graham having his ear and Palin to keep freshly tuned and serviced.

Othewise, near as I can see he's playing the Iran-Israel situation almost as well as Dayton is Ziggy Wilf (although that may not be possible).  And the little woman will be the standard bearer for the position she holds for an entire couple of generations.  We've only ever had 3 or so First Ladies before that anybody cared enough to write extensively about and one of those was written about to a great deal only because she was most likely certifiably insane.  This is a memorable one at a key juncture in history.

hardnox604008
Advisor

Which I think I'll run with a little bit.

The boomers went through the age of parenthood and parenthood became elevated to the the most sacred thing in society.

Makes perfect sense.

However, the Generations paradigm also predicts that the boomers will actually fold tent as far as protecting the old age entitlements that the recent preceding generations have enjoyed. That is becasue they will crave moral authority in elderhood as opposed to material advantage.

Bingo also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generations_(book)

hardnox604008
Advisor

Generations theory

also predicted that there would never be a President from the Silent Generation. McCain was as close as it got, now highly unlikely.

Also, that once the (probably historically inconsequential) presidents of the idealist generation (Bush II, Clinton) were done, the boomers would also get permanently kicked to the curb as the great secular crisis began to take hold around the end of the 2000s decade.

Obama is a cusp boomer but far from the influential core of the firstborn of the postwar years.

bruce MN
Advisor

Re: Generations theory

Hee Hee...From a boomer from right in the thick of the bulge..1949,...I couldnt agree more that when we got our shot we installed 2 of the worst ever.

My personal apologies to all subsequesnt generations on behalf of the lot of us, although I never personally cast a vote for either of them.

And FWIW, that seemingly beneign "silent generation" was too busy organizing and implementing the mechanisms for consolidation, transfer and extraction to ever devote much time to gaining the trust required in order to ascend politically.   Silent?  Yes...like foxes.