cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

My Daughter Is On Her Way To Shy-cago :o0

Well, I had to get up at 4:30 this morning to get my daughter up to the High School as her Band and Vocal Choir are going to Chicago for their semi- annual music trip.   They alternate between going to Walt Disney World to perform and Chicago every other year.  I didn't worry too much about her safety in Orlando, but Chicago sure gives me the shivers up my back.

If it wasn't for the fact that the chaperons and leaders are top notch folks and friends of mine, I probably wouldn't have let her go.   I have heard that the violent murder rate in Chicago is higher than in Baghdad during the heat of the war.   Smiley Surprised

They are going to attend lots of museums, Medieval Times, go to the top of the Sears Tower (can't remember the new name of the building) and do some music things.

I sure hope that she has a good time, but I spent a good amount of time warning her about how it can be, and to NEVER stray from her group, not for even a second.  .... I will feel a lot better when she comes home Sunday evening.

5 Replies
tomtoolbag
Senior Contributor

Re: My Daughter Is On Her Way To Shy-cago :o0

You can sleep soundly as all those places that she's going are very high profile and secure because they generate so much tourist revenue. Not only that, that aren't many scumbags that cruise the jazz band areas. The worst things are while sitting in a car and the window washers because when people roll down the window to give them a couple bucks, they reach in and steal jewelry and purses, but that's not an issue for her.

Probably the worst thing that is going to happen to her/you is the cost of the meal and show at Medieval Times. I hope that you didn't give her your credit card because the gift shop there is pretty enticing. LOL

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

@tomtoolbag wrote:

You can sleep soundly as all those places that she's going are very high profile and secure because they generate so much tourist revenue. Not only that, that aren't many scumbags that cruise the jazz band areas. The worst things are while sitting in a car and the window washers because when people roll down the window to give them a couple bucks, they reach in and steal jewelry and purses, but that's not an issue for her.

Probably the worst thing that is going to happen to her/you is the cost of the meal and show at Medieval Times. I hope that you didn't give her your credit card because the gift shop there is pretty enticing. LOL

Thanks, Yeah they will be in the "better" areas of the city and there will be over 120 of them all together.  One of her friends is a very tough farm girl that can mop up the floor with just about anyone who dares mess with her.... so I told my girl to stick with her. (LOL)

I know all about Medieval Times, as I went along to the one in Orlando two years ago...yep, it is pricey.  She is carrying a pre-loaded debit card so she isn't carrying very much cash.... and she knows that it has it limit.   The Medieval Times event is part of her trip expense that we have already ponied up.  $600 for the whole trip, room, special events.... isn't too bad, I guess.

Illinois sure can use the money I guess. Smiley Wink

r3020
Senior Advisor

Ahhhhhhhh the land of tall buildings. Been there a couple of times when my wife had surgery, wouldn't give you a plug nickle for the whole dang town. The Sears tower was neat, the day we went up it was crystal clear, could see for miles, talk about elevators that just flat get with it. Hope she has fun.

tomtoolbag
Senior Contributor

She'll have fun, and it's the best way to experience those places with a crowd and such. They probably won't have to wait because of the group and prearrangements. It's pricey there, and yes IL. needs the mula. I always tell my son and his friends to keep their eyes moving and to be aware of their surroundings.

When I was at the Auto Show, I stopped and asked a C.P.D. officer at their booth if they still used the Segways for parks and such, because they had a 4-wheeler at their booth. He said yes and I asked him what they used the 4-wheelers for and he said traffic control downtown. We all started laughing when he said they used them to pull people over. I asked him if people actually stopped for a 4-wheeler, and he got kind of miffed and said yeah. You get to see all kinds of strange things there, and she'll have a few stories to tell when she gets home, hopefully all good(and probably how expensive things are there too).

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Congratulations Craig.  You have every right to be fearful for her safety and I hope it all goes well.