cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

My how things have changed.

When George W Bush signed the tax bill it was a tax cut for the rich, transfer of wealth from the middle class to the rich, only the rich were going to benefit from the tax cut, repubs helping their rich buddies at the expense of the middle class and the poor. Now When Barack Obama signs the tax bill it is a tax cut for every American, it is relief for the middle class hardest hit by the recession, economy stimulator, and although the tax rates remain the same, it is called a tax cut to help the poor and middle class.

snip-

In remarks before signing the bill, Obama called it "a substantial victory for middle-class families across the country." He added: "They're the ones hardest hit by the recession we've endured. They're the ones who need relief right now."

Obama described the bill as "a package of tax relief that will protect the middle class, that will grow our economy and will create jobs for the American people."

snip-

At the signing ceremony, Obama said passage of the law was propelled "by the fact that tax rates for every American were poised to automatically increase on January 1st." If that had happened, "the average middle-class family would have had to pay an extra $3,000 in taxes next year," he said. "That wouldn't have just been a blow to them; it would have been a blow to our economy, just as we're climbing out of a devastating recession."

Obama declared: "I refused to let that happen. And because we acted, it's not going to. In fact, not only will middle-class Americans avoid a tax increase, but tens of millions of Americans will start the new year off right by opening their first paycheck to see that it's actually larger than the one they get right now."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/16/AR2010121606200.html

5 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: My how things have changed.

Now watch, during the 2012 election cycle the dems will runs against to keep the tax cuts in place. If it is good now what will change in 2012? It is all about class warfare. Pitting one group of people against another. It is part of their secret platform.

Veteran Advisor

Lots and lots of crazy pole shifting. A supposedly too liberal Democratic President signing...heck not just signing but pushing and hawking...an essentially Republican tax bill..WHILE the Democtats controlled both houses of Congress.

Nt to foget that when the Republican  Bush originally put these cuts through he couldn't get around a filibuster or get but a small handful of Democratic votes and has to pass them via reconciliation. They were a gift...a panecea... a tip of the hat to the "base" who had assured his nomination and election. And that wouold be people with considerably more wealth than you teabaggerrs who they have carrying their water for thme now that W is gone.

This is **bleep** Armey's world for a little while. Noticing lately, however, how Tony Perkins and Jim Dobson  have been lurking around quite a bit. Looks like they are going to want their seat at the table back. With everybody with an issue or cause thinking that the House majority was regained becasue of their issue or cause. In that sense you'll wind up being as oorganizationally befuddled as Democrats always are and that's no fun. 

Veteran Advisor

Do you really think he could have stood his ground and won on this?  I think that with so many of the blue dogs not wanting to go along with this and none of the repubs, we would all have had our taxes raised in a couple of weeks.  I think he did win and I think the middle class as well as the lower income brackets won.  They can't afford a tax raise this year while the fat cats could but the only way to get continued relief for the majority was to give in and let the fat cats win also.

Senior Contributor

"grow out economy"

I think he took that phrase right from Ronald Reagan.

Obama wants to be a two term president...I want the guy to be able to spend more time with his wife and family.

Veteran Advisor