cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katzenjammer12
Senior Contributor

NAFTA Hyperventilation

In my heart, I think getting out of NAFTA will not hurt agriculture as badly as some fear, and getting out of NAFTA will not help blue-collar workers as much as some hope.

I think it's a tempest in a tea pot and not worth a bucket of warm spit.  One attaboy for the first to tell us where that phrase became famous, who used it and why?

3 Replies
hardnox
Advisor

Re: NAFTA Hyperventilation

Probably not going to happen anyway.

While nobody (apparently) was looking the GOP has been formulating a tax bill that incentivizes more offshoring (Ford immediately announced they were sending the new electric car plant to MX) and now the GOP will face a lot of pressure from the donors to back away on NAFTA.

As far as agriculture goes, yes, but it would not be positive and all is not entirely well in the sector as it is.

It is just finding some curiosity in the other urgent matters that led most people in our sector to support Trump- and, apparently led to a surge of optimism near 90% following the election.

BTW, that phenomenon wasn't limited to just agriculture. We saw a surge in general consumer sentiment even though after 8 years of tepid, low wage growth expansion, the consumer is getting tapped out, as they always do.

'Tis like the survey that I often reference here where a strong majority of black workers felt their circumstances had improved under Obama with an opposite negative view among white workers. Both aren't simultaneously true but it is about how people feel, not how things really are.

hardnox
Advisor

The original use was John Nance Garner- FDR's first VP- although he actually used the four letter word for urine.

Probably a common usage in his W TX home country, though.

Katzenjammer12
Senior Contributor

'Nox wins.  Didn't know you were old enough to remember.  🙂