cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: NCAA

Can you find that rule because everything I find about throwing the ball in says you have 5 seconds to get rid of the ball and the count ends as soon as the ball leaves your hand.  It doesn't say anything about not being able to call timeout one way of the other.

bruce MN
Advisor

NCAA admits bad read by ref on O%B call

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: NCAA admits bad read by ref on O%B call

Of course you can catch the ball in the air on an in-bounds play and come down backcourt.  I don't know why these refs are having such a problem with rules this year.  You expect problems with charging vs. blocking and things like that because most of the time they are judgement calls but on a lot of things the rules are very explicit.  I have yet to find anything that says you can't call timeout after a four count on a five count.  I wish someone could show it to me if it exists.  However, the ref in that case said that he had counted to five in his head but had not chopped his arm yet.  I say he needs to find another job for lying to cover his butt!

Ron (Cen. IL.)
Frequent Contributor

No, I looked the other day and could'nt find it.     The announcers  say "can't call time-out after the count of  4" so I just believed them.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Two thoughts on that.  First they used to be basketball players and therefor are suspect when it comes to technical things. 😉  Second, why do they call it a five count if you can't call timeout after 4.  The ref didn't say anything about that.  He said that he had counted to five in his head but had not moved his arm in the chopping fashion to accompany the count.  Someone put up a video of it and the time was 4.16 seconds from the time the ref handed the ball to Texas and the kid signaled timeout.

Ron (Cen. IL.)
Frequent Contributor

I guessing it was kind of like the rule  change for the "time-out when falling out of bounds".  Too many players were using it as a "bail-out" when they got in trouble and the "rule-makers" wanted to keep the game moving.