cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

NCAA

Don`t know if you guys argued it yet, but i`ll throw in my 2¢.   The SCOTUS said with all the money college players generate, they should be able to profit from their talents and popularity.   I can see both sides, the college could claim that players are "interns" that aren`t ready to play pro, therefore a full ride scholarship and "alumni under the table money" is compensation enough, plus the opportunity to showcase their skills for pro head hunters is enough. 

On the otherhand, why continue with the charade?  A small Iowa school draws players from Atlanta with a full ride, what`s the point?  If a school wants a 'good" sports team, cut the crap and hire pro players for a university team that is separate from the academic part of the school.  

I know "Hoosiers" was high school, but the small town feely of local boys "studying for the chemistry finals and learning plays" went the way of the dial telephone and crank up car windows.  

Besides, isn`t to be competitive a full time job in of itself?  Play for the university "pro team" after you blow your knee out, take that money and go to med school, JMO.

8 Replies
sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

Re: NCAA

I tried to respond ba, the system keeps tossing the response.  ??

Packard27
Senior Contributor

I agree. For the billions of dollars these Div I athletes* generate, they deserve a taste of the gate. NCAA should drop its sixty year fantasy charade of “the student athlete” and just begin paying these professional athletes what they are actually worth.

If the coaches, athletic directors, and administrators are all going to make big paydays on the sweat of these young money machines, why can’t the athletes themselves do the same? Pay them their worth.

[*i.e. Revenue generating athletes in football, men’s basketball, and a few select wrestling/hockey & baseball programs.]

r3020
Senior Advisor

Well that's fine. As long as the tuition from the rest of the students doesn't go to help pay them including their stadiums. They need to be completely separated from the schools. They are now professionals. They earn their pay from the public not the school.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Likewise, I'm in favor of ending inter-scholastic sports at the HS level and replacing them with intramural programs.

Even the girls who are highly favored as faras being able to monentize their efforts (at least among rural white folks) generally are required to compete at the club level in order to get noticed.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Don't recall much enthusiasm here when a few football players were trying to form a union.

In fact I think most were suspecting it was some sort of a Kaepernich communist thing.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Well, that`s another thing "girl athlete" who was once a boy can have 5 times the level of testosterone as a real woman that you would want to date and stuff.  Yeah, women`s sports are done, unless we`re talking Serena Williams who probably has more testosterone than the average man. 

High School sports are crazy enough, with "football & basketball camps" and parents moving to a different school system with the best coach in the conference (I know of one case).   But a good old high school football or basketball game where you know the kids on team, even the opposing team and you could go over and sit and chat with the parents at the visitors bleachers.   There`s something that`s still 90% pure about high school sports.  

Let`s be honest, the university football/basketball teams recruited from thousands of miles away and disappear at the end of the season are by & large there for a chance to turn pro.  And education has nothing to do with their scholarship.   Nothing wrong with that, business is business, but let`s stop pretending.  The state university coaches are probably the highest paid individuals in the entire state in many cases.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

My opinion BA is that the NFL should develop a farm system like baseball and draft out of high school.   I don't blame the kids for wanting to be paid when some schools are making large amounts.

The best players can go into the farm system, the kids mostly interested in an education can go to college and play there.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

That would solve a lot Sam