cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

National Guard

My question is "Who controls the National Guard?"  I know the president can federalize the individual state's Guard troops but doesn't the Gov. act as the CnC of the state's Guard troops as long as they are in federal service?  Have ALL Guard troops been federalized already?  I know the reserves are under the direct control of the president.  The reason I am asking is here in Arizona, they (republicans) are making a big deal out of our Gov asking for 6000 National Guard troops and the president only authorizing 1200.  I thought she could do whatever she wanted to do with her troops.

6 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: National Guard

Evidently not.

Veteran Advisor

So you don't know either??!!

Senior Contributor

Veteran Advisor

I fully understand every bit of that post BUT my question was, why doesn't the AZ Gov just put her troops on the border.  I know that not every NG in the state has been federalized and have been shipped to Afghanistan because I see too many of them all the time.  Illegal immigration DID NOT start 18 months ago when Obama became our president.  It doesn't matter that mccain is just NOW up in arms about the border (he has been a senator in AZ for 28 years).

Senior Contributor

.......this is only a guess but I'm thinking if the Pres orders them in it is a federal cost, if the Gov orders them in it is a state cost.

Veteran Advisor

That's sorta what I figured also.  Seems to me that if it were as critical as the rightwing in AZ try to claim, they would do whatever is necessary, the cost be damned.  McCain has had 28 years to do something about illegals in AZ but only decided in the past few weeks to really start to hammer the president for his "lack of cooperation" as if suddenly the whole illegal problem is because of Obama.  BS!!!