cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Nazi Cows

There`s a old breed of cattle  that nearly were extinct "aurochs".  In the 30`s the nazis revived the breed, they are very agressive, I guess they plum want to kill you Smiley Very Happy 

A British farmer started raising them again and they were too bigga handful for him...he cut the herd to 5 which all he can handle.   Those basterds have horns and a big head, if you notice the "whorl" on their face is high in relation to their eyes which is a sign of orneriness.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/01/07/aggressive-nazi-bred-cows-caused-havoc-...

Oh they really look like some basterds.

19 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Nazi Cows

I had read about the wild horse breeding program some years ago. If you go to the New Yorker link, and read the long Elizabeth Kolbert article, you will find a short discussion of doing something similar in the sparsley populated areas of the midwest....I can see the liberals jumping all over that one.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Sometimes it`s a good thing that certain breeds went extinct  Smiley Very Happy   There are ornery animals that a domestic that are readily available today.  We have a horse that`s part Arabian and he has a mean streak, he was gelded and everything too, but that sucker tries to bite and whips his big head around.  One time I just flat out cold-cocked him like in the Mel Brooks movie and that kind of simmered him down Smiley Happy  a oldtimer said get a hot baked potato and shove that in their mouth when they get to biting.

But with a cattle a Holstein bull or any dairy bull is mean, they say because they are usually removed from their mother at a young age...don`t know, you`d think that bottle calves would be tame.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Tame is the problem. They lose the natural respect/fear, they are Alphas and naturally have to find/gain that dominance back. You take any breed and become to familiar and you will have an unruly nasty beast. Along with that you let your guard down as well and then you have a problem
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

That was on NAT last week. ( As you know )

I don't know if any of you really understand genetics or even basic husbandry as you should.

Pity, really.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Okay I`m curious what did I say that broke even the most basic tenents of animal genetics and animal husbandry?

I do know for a fact that this was the first time that I came upon the nazi cow story this morning, as if that has anything to do with anything else????????

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

That is true, animals can use their natural abilities when left to their own devices.  A horned cow at a feed bunk with polled mates soon discovers that she can eat as much as she wants.  Sows that were left in the woods to "pig' get mean when rounded up. 

i imagine this "nazi" breed of cow is on the order of a bison that has a wild gene that makes them nasty mean.

Highlighted
Advisor

shouldn't they be called "tea party cows" now? Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

...a oldtimer said get a hot baked potato and shove that in their mouth when they get to biting.

Train, don't complain.

But with a cattle a Holstein bull or any dairy bull is mean, they say because they are usually removed from their mother at a young age...don`t know, you`d think that bottle calves would be tame.

Pure genetics, even you should know that.

ALso, someone else chimed in that sounded really stupid too, but.....I'm busy today Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

That is why we have hundreds of years of selective breeding in order to propagate good traits versus bad traits. Thus we will have to criminalize the inbreeding to eliminate the tea bagger phenomenon. We don't murder them or enprison them but we do try to make sure they aren't replicated.