cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Near perfect game...actually perfect game Class Act

We could only hope that given the same situation that we could be as much of a class act as the pitcher in the game the other night.  The first base ump blew that call big time.  If I was the pitcher I'd have gotten thrown out of the game for holding the ball on the mound and not throwing another pitch until the home plate ump reversed the call. Once you make that next pitch you are acknowledging the call and I couldn't have done that.

11 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Near perfect game...actually perfect game Class Act

Did you see where the Tigers had Galarraga deliver the line up card to the home plate ump who happened to be the ump that made the bad call at first the night before.  The ump was visible upset fighting back tears at the time.  Galarraga received a standing ovation from the home town crowd plus was given a new Corvette by GM.    The ump said he was in good position to make the call but admitted later he blew it.  Can't the ump if not sure ask other umps for their opinion if appealed by the Tiger's manager?  I guess it would be embarrassing to ask for help if you were in good position and were much closer then the other umps.

Advisor

I umpired alot of good fast pitch softball back in the day and asking for help on a force play isn't kosher. Soon as I saw the replay of this I flashed back to a memory or two of those "anticitpation calls" like this one was that I'd made and knew right away were wrong. And lost some sleep over, as this guy obviously did. And that was just small town ball. Can't imagine how a person could put in over 20 years as Joyce has and have this mark your career..

There is no classier person in all of professional sports, nobody comes close, than Jim Leyland. Can't imagine what that would have been like if had been Cox or LaRussa. Having a guy like Leyland around in a situation like this was key.

Twins actually got jobbed out of a chance to win on a much worse call to end the game later last night in Seattle.

Senior Contributor

After watching the NBC video I have to say what a class act by both the pitcher and the ump in tough situation.

Veteran Advisor

After college, I played both basketball and softball in city rec leagues, and part of that participation meant you had to occasionally umpire someone elses game. I hated the job, and would often pay someone else to do it for me. Basketball, with all the motion, was the worst...no umpire ever remotely gets the calls right in a basketball game, so it is a given that you are going to miss calls, or make a call when you shouldn't. Softball always seemed pretty easy compared to basketball, but I once blew a first base call like this umpire did, but called a runner out that was safe. I anticipated him being out, but he outran the throw and I was calling him out when it registered in my brain that the thud of the ball hitting the first baseman's mitt came after my eyes saw the runner touch the base. The guy I called out was never a close friend , but I still admire him for the grace he showed in dealing with a bad call. He knew he was safe, and I later apologized to him. But I did lose sleep over it, too.

Senior Advisor

What is the bigger news story? A guy throwing a perfect game or a guy that got robbed of a perfect game? Bud Selig could reverse this but he probably won't. But the public will know , won't we and we won't be forgetting.

Advisor

Excellent analysis from "the people's commissioner":

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100603&content_id=10754280&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=ml...

While at mlb, if you are looking for some fun go to "Beat the Streak" and take a stab at that. Not nearly so easy as it first looks.

Advisor

Another view from my personal favorite MN local sprotswriter:

http://www.startribune.com/templates/fdcp?1275681718626

Veteran Advisor

But, after all, it is still just a game.  With all the major problems going on in the world, this has to rank near the bottom of the list of worries.  For me at any rate.  Unless, of course, it happened to a Fighting Illini.  ;-)

Advisor

Baseball helped us through the depression and the big wars. But before TV.  And just about everybody had town ball to follow. And later, massively powerful AM radio signals beaming games to them from all over the country.