cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Nebraska is dead last, where does your State rank???

Just for fun...

We now have metrics that allow us to determine the most corrupt states in the union, based on the number of public officials that have been convicted of corruption in office.  Can you guess which ones are in the top 10?  Where do you think your state ranks?  The least corrupt state is  Nebraska, providing another reason for why we should move the nation’s capital there.

See the results, with two different graphics from two different studies, after the break.

Source: New York Times

12 Replies
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Nebraska is dead last, where does your State rank???

Perhaps it means you have an inactive justice dept in nebraska

Samnospam
Advisor

Needs to be per capita.
johnaa
Advisor

I hope Nebraskans would be smarter than to allow that to happen.  Put the US capital to Nebraska and it will be over run by the  same crooks, whores and traitors from the Swamps of Virginia.  For what it's worth, I've read that most of the Chicago bootlegger's alcohol was produced in Nebraska during probation.

bruce MN
Advisor

Probably should name that.

Call it the Tom Osbourne Award.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Shifty, you beat me to the punch on that one.

I was just going to paraphrase Bill Murray in Stripes "Convicted...nah, we've never been convicted"

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Same chart, calculated on a per capita basis

Nebraska is STILL dead last!    GO BIG RED!!!  LOL

Just look at the stats.   D.C. has 66.9 politicians convicted of something per million residents, per year.

Nebraska, has 0.7.   Statistically, that makes D.C. more than 95 times as corrupt, when measured on a convicted politician basis.

As to moving the capital to NE.   Nope, don't want it.   The cost of the necessary sewage treatment plants alone would far outweigh any benefits, LOL

Public officials convicted 2

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Don't know about that.   Our State Attourney Generals, have been known to be very good ones.

My best guess would be, it is because our State does not allow political parties in the State legislature.   In some cases, it makes things harder to follow, as there are no 'party platforms', but rather charts of how each politician stands on various issues.   Requires more thought on the part of voters, as it is difficult to blindly vote for a 'party', but on the other hand, I think it makes for more effective government, as people can vote for the candidate that best suits their personal beliefs, rather than just following political party lines.

The past representative in my district, said when campaigning, he would accept no PAC money.   PACs sent him money anyway, and he returned every single check, from them.   Who else can say that?

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

All that really says is that NE politicians are a little smarter and more devious than those in other states and don't get caught as often.;-)
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Another interesting little thing is that in the bottom 12, there 4 from that bastion section of liberalism--North East and only 3 from the conservative belt!