cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Need more guns!!

@Nebrfarmr wrote:
You are wrongly blaming the guns, for what killers do. If you magically got rid of every gun in this country, but left everything else the same, I bet the murder rate would barely go down. Did you know, that in areas overrun with illegal aliens, as much as 90% of the murders are committed by non-citizens, here illegally? How can you blame the American culture, for something done, by someone not of that culture? Also, over half the killings in this country are committed by repeat killers, and over 3/4 of murders by people with a criminal record, who by all rights should be in jail, had they had to serve their full sentence. Yet, I keep hearing it is all the guns fault.

Where is the statistic that shows 90% of murders committed by non-citizens?

I know there was someone who assumed Mexicans in the US would kill at the same rate as murders occured in Mexico and came up with a high rate but if we made the same assumption for US citizens living in Canada at the US murder rate those estimated 1.5 million people would kill 63 Canadians each year at a rate of 4.2 per 100,000 rather than at the 1.6 rate in Canada.

So US citizens could be assumed to have been responsible for 12% of the murders in Canada.

Were they? 

I doubt it.

As for 'half the killings being committed by repeat killers' I could not believe it so did some searching and finally found this

The United States Department of Justice tracked the rearrest, re-conviction, and re-incarceration of former inmates for 3 years after their release from prisons in 15 states in 1994.[16]Key findings include:

• Released prisoners with the highest rearrest rates were robbers (70.2%), burglars (74.0%), larcenists (74.6%), motor vehicle thieves (78.8%), those in prison for possessing or selling stolen property (77.4%), and those in prison for possessing, using, or selling illegal weapons (70.2%).
  • Within 3 years, 2.5% of released rapists were arrested for another rape, and 1.2% of those who had served time for homicide were arrested for homicide. These are the lowest rates of re-arrest for the same category of crime.
  • The 272,111 offenders discharged in 1994 had accumulated 4.1 million arrest charges before their most recent imprisonment and another 744,000 charges within 3 years of release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recidivism

The highlight in blue was done by me since I do not think that figure would substantiate your number of repeat killers

Read up on studies and they will show you that without guns murder does not happen as often or as easily.

Lots of reasons like the murderer is able to stay further away from the victim and so safer so will find it easier to ccommit the deed.

A victim is not as able to outrun a bullet as a different weapon so is less likely to even try to escape.

And then the psycholgic reasoning.

Having a gun does increase the lieklihood of murder taking place.

Senior Contributor

@Taylor ECIL wrote:

good logic canuck....It has worked so well on banning drugs....no body has drugs in this country since we banned them and declared war on them.

Probably more drugs sold 'legally' in stores than 'illegally' on a street corner.

So if it is so ineffective why do you continue to fund drug lord by keeping them illegal?

Drugs only kill the user unlike guns which are more likely to kill the innocent.

Senior Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

@r3020 wrote:
The woman was protected by a restraining order. She is dead. If she was protected with a gun maybe not.

So because one person used a gun you choose to arm everyone instead of get rid of the one gun that did the killing?

You then have many guns to do killing.

The guy was going to kill his wife. If he didn't have a gun he would use a knife. The one gun did not kill. The one person with the only gun did.

Senior Contributor

@r3020 wrote:

The guy was going to kill his wife. If he didn't have a gun he would use a knife. The one gun did not kill. The one person with the only gun did.

But without a gun the others would have likely been safe AND the wife stood a better chance of surviving or escaping IF there had been no gun.

Senior Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

@r3020 wrote:

But without a gun the others would have likely been safe AND the wife stood a better chance of surviving or escaping IF there had been no gun.

No proof of that. He could have burned her house killing anyone inside.

Veteran Advisor

What about the drug dealers, and gangs that support them?
Veteran Advisor

My bad, I meant repeat offenders, as in someone who had been convicted of another crime. As to the crimes by illegals, I do not Have a good search engine on the wifes iPad, but I will try to look it up tomorrow if I can.
Senior Contributor

You are doing it again. You are flippantly defending the indefensable.  You use the analogy which best fits this scenario. Take all the guns out of society and they will not be shooting themselves for a start.  Can't you see that or are you too dumb to admit it.

Senior Contributor

Save yourself some further unintentional embarrassment by Canuck and stop digging yourself into a hole.

Senior Contributor

And you're to stupid to admit that you can't remove all guns out of society. The only people you punish are those that don't commit crime.