cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dagwud
Senior Contributor

Need to get the team on the same page

I thought Obama and team had done a pretty good job walking the tight rope on handling the delicate job of quietly supporting Mubarak an old friend and ally of our country while at the same time suggesting now is the time for to step aside and allow his people a shot at democracy.   Now it looks like one of the team players forgot what the plan was, disobeyed the head coach or the head coach has suddenly called an audible at the line of scrimmage.  Either way we now have gotten more Egyptians upset with us.

Frank Wisner, an American businessman and former diplomat was sent to Egypt by Obama to to negotiate a resolution to the popular protest and I assume based on what Obama has been saying publicly to suggest it is time for Mubarak step down. Wisner a personal friend of Mubarak told the BBC just four days after returning from Egypt on the request of Obama said it was  "crucial" that Mubarak be allowed stay on in the interest of "stability",and to right his own legacy.    

I'm guessing Wisner will not be getting a Christmas card from the first family this year.

10 Replies
bruce MN
Veteran Advisor

Sam gave us the early alert on this one

From a rather far left  blog and op-ed site no less.

I most certainly pulled a GWB and "misunderestimated" the situation. Sorry  about that...

My instincts should have told me, and I believe that it was mentioned in the Cockburn article, that this had the POS former President from Arkansas written all over it. I t's the way he did business. Maybe a little pillow talk between the Sec. of State (or a text meassage, as I doubt those they've shared the sack in some time) and the prince of politcal sleeze and she bit on it.

Here's hoping that the executive team learned something from it. Conservative commentators are falling all over themselves in the papers and  talk shows praising the administration. Not sure how to interpret that.

Samnospam
Advisor

Re: Sam gave us the early alert on this one

So bubba did it? Well last time I saw Barry and bubba together it did appear that bubba was the person in charge.
bruce MN
Veteran Advisor

Re: Sam gave us the early alert on this one

Oh....and you're welcome.

And I hadn't thought about that episode for a while...The Pres. having survived that circus side show and actually having had it help to improve his rather rapidly ascending approval ratings maybe tells us more than we want to know about just what it is that the American people want.

What they can't have. Not any more. When they "had it', it's  arguable that "it" wasn't necessarily real.

Samnospam
Advisor

Re: Wisner

Keep looking in to wisner, you'll find interesting things.
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Need to get the team on the same page

What is amazing is that our government thinks it is justified to meddle in the internal affdairs of Egypt or anyother country in the middle east. I beleive that is why we are held in such low regard in the area.

It's as simple as minding our own business and let happen what may.  How outraged we would get if those islamic people were trying to manipulate our political process. Although you folks didn't seem to mind Saudi money influencing the Bushies. But none the less people should have the right of self determination and we have no right to meddle in it.

The worst thing that could happen is to have that nation taken over by religious fundementalists either muslim or republican capitalists.

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: basically obamo is a FAILURE

by once again showing his 2 face side obamo has failed with our allies again --but then he was a always a failure looking for a country to happen in

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Re: Wisner

Maybe Wisner wants Mubarak to hold on to power just long enough so Wisner and his employers have time to get things straightened out so that when Mubarak does step down Wisner and company will still get their slice of the U.S. financial aid sent to Egypt. 

I simply don't see Mubarack's resignation as a cure all to the problems in Egypt as the military will still be calling all the shots and it will still be their guys in the positions of power.   Kind of like in our country and how a couple of large Wall Street banks always seem give us our next Chairman of the Federal Reserve and how well they protect their own first and foremost

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

gough whitlam
Advisor

Re: basically obamo is a FAILURE

"Allies" you have to be kidding.  It was more a marriage of convenience and who ever comes along next can get ready for a bucks party provided by the US.