cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cotman03
Senior Contributor

Re: Negotiating with doctors

He goes to Mexican doctors so he can save money.  Unfortunately they don't speak English well and he has no idea about Spanish.

Kraft is very strong for the US labor force getting paid a living wage but when the fees he has to pay are what he thinks are too high, in part because of very high labor costs, he goes to a different country where labor gets paid less than a tenth of what Americans get paid.  It's a great thing for him.  He saves alot of money but talks a good game.

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

What do you mean by cash discounts?     how do people other wise pay?        do you mean off the books cadh discounts

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Re: watch osamacare destroy medicine

@lpman wrote:

you will see horror stories in medicine --i know several mds and they all agree if you have money -connections or orivate ins. you will get care otherwise you are on your own but libs begged to destroy medical care and now they will get the wish

I see - so if you are wealthy and/or you can afford health insurance you get repaired while all the others who have neither, can die in the street of their choosing. That is the way Mollie.  Next thread you will tell me how Obama is screwing the working class.  You are a 24 carat d!khed.

Faust100F
Advisor

I think medicine is pretty much destroyed already.  Much like the banksters, the seed companies and all those who exploit our general population, insurance companies are no exception.  Right now the health care in this country is in shambles.

I had open bypass surgery seven years ago, and during my stay at Mercy Hospital in DSM, the bill came to over $250,000, the surgeon and his staff got paid $33,000 (which I thought was fair) the rest was the churning of the account, with numerous x-rays and other charges.

I could not believe the consults that started the minute I was put in the room and the three days they kept me after surgery before they kicked me out. Ten doctors a day stopped by for three minutes so they could bill the insurance company.

Upon discharge I could not breathe, could not walk the "mile" they wanted, I went back the PA (not a doctor) said nothing was wrong, still had problems, went back they took an X-ray, lost it, a week later they found it called my and my right lung was full of fluid, they pushed a needle in my back, and drained the fluid off the lung, 3.5 quarts.  I am lucky to be alive, not because of the surgery but because of the incompetent after care at that institution. I fired all my doctors and moved to the VA where I have been ever sense.

I called John Deere Insurance regarding the overcharges on the bill, they told me to just pay the $1,000 deductible on the insurance and they would take care of the bill.  They had a contract with the hospital which allowed them to pay maybe half of what the bill was charging me.  Just think how badly those who do not have "deals" like John Deere Insurance had with this hospital, and would have had to pay the whole $250,000.  We need a new health care system, we need people who want to be there who will practice (do no harm) instead of (wheres the money?).  Pass the popcorn and get me another Corona.   John

hardnox604008
Advisor

that's one of the weird tings about insurance- they don't pay what the charges are listed at- same for medicare- but I don't understand how it works. Do know that if you don't have insurance and haven't made arrangements in advance, the amount stated is what they go after you for.

BTW- Mercy almost killed my mother in law a number of years back during a routine scope. For them is is Mayo only now.

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: ah you now see the obalmo healthscare bill

and agreed --you will come around

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Good Illustration of what we have going on now and I don't see that the current yahoos in charge are going to do anything but send us further down that declining slope. No wonder that medical care delivery is so expensive.

The first thing that should happen in America is mandatory HSA accounts and high deductibles where every American gets a chance to see what their bills are and are encouraged to comparison shop by price, like in virtually every other segment of the economy.

I have heard the same thing about how many doctors supposedly see a patient each day that is hospitalized, and how the bill gets padded that way.

I am scheduled for surgery soon to repair some muscle tears and fortunately it is day surgery so the window for bill padding should not be open that long....assuming they don't mess it up and start an infection or something that kills me. No joke anymore, I have heard of that happening enough, too.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

@hobbyfarm2145365 wrote:

What do you mean by cash discounts?    

Exactly what I said.   Most every other business I go to, gives cash, or early pay discounts.

how do people other wise pay?   

Some have insurance, which the Dr. Dentist, or whoever, has to file reams of paperwork with, to get paid, others wait until they get the bill, and then come in on the last possible day before the bill is delinquant, some have Medicaid pay, with its associated paperwork, and still others do not pay at all.

do you mean off the books cadh discounts

No, I mean a properly negotiated discount, by paying the bill immediately, and filing the bill to my insurance on my own.

It is no different, than when someone on Medicare gets a bill for $700, then Medicare pays $500 to the Hospital, and the bill is considered paid in full.   I'm not any more 'off the books' than they are.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

That is because there is no 'truth in billing' as far as medical costs go.

The Hospitals have no 'schedule' that they charge by, for the most part.

Reader's Digest had an article, where they compared prices at various Hospitals, for identical procedures done, I can't remember what it was for sure, but it was a common surgery, and checked the billing for this procedure.   They went to several Hospitals, and followed the 'cost' for procedures done without extra complications, and found that some places charged 4 or 5 times, what other places charged, for the same thing.

With no price schedule, they just go about padding bills, paying people for doing nothing, etc.

What would be wrong with having a known price schedule, like a mechanic.   So much for surgery room prep, plus so much an hour, for each surgeon, nurse, etc, instead of a confusing bill, with a hodgepodge of numbers, with a total of $200,000 or whatever.

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

Tell me something red, tell me with you mandatory HSA  how the individuals with a family working for $10/20 dollars with no benefits can afford money to put in saving acct much less pay for the ins premium.   These poeple are not farmers with govt guranteed revenue programs for a ROI like today