cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: watch osamacare destroy medicine

If you want the government to provide health care, give it to the people as a high-deductable MSA or HSA account.

Your amount of co-pay towards the deductable, could be means based.

Someone making $100K per year, would pay all of their expenses, to the $6000 deductable.

Someone making $20K, might have only a 20% co-pay.

The trick is to get the user of the medical service, tor the most part, to have a reason to WANT to shop around, to lower their bills.

If you needed medical work done, and clinic 'A' charged $3000 for it, but clinic 'B' charged $2000 for it, even if you were paying only 10 or 20% of that bill, you would shop around, and save yourself a little money.  If Uncle Sam, just paid all of it, you'd go to the clinic that served steak for your meal, instead of meatloaf.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

These liberals think that their legions of voters are smart enough to pick a president but too dumb to manage their own health care accounts.

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

There is a lot of merit in your comments but in our area two major hospital control or own the local hospitals and clinic. the dotors awork for these hospital and clinic. the major hospitals have traveling equipment  trucks like MIR equipment.   they also have phramacys in house.       The larger of two has bought hospital from Neb/sd border  into nd.    they now are moving into sow mn and nw ia. It appears they will control medical service over these area. the medical service reaching to calif and serval over  locations.      This the future of medical service in the US.     Does this ring the same in our "modern" farming with  welfare subsidies supporting larger and larger farms.   

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

red,   don't put me in the liberal column. ,I don't take farm handouts     what upsets your kind is pointing out that your are the liberal here, your the one taking all these liberal welfare farm programs of free support to protect you assets . you just handle the truuth.  A good conervative would be standing on his own feet not with a govt cane.   I recieve SS and Medicare two programs I have paid into for 55 yrs and still do.   tell us what did you contributr to th DP program that you  collect $11,995.00 per yr for how many yrs.    Your no conservative other that name only      

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

P.S>  Neb what I'n saying we have no choice to get bids from one clinic or over another    

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

Red, just took what you said "I had to pay for it myself' "  

GoredHusker
Senior Contributor

Here's a little nugget that I thought I would pass on to you that I found in a somewhat dated argument, but I think you'll get the point:

"U.S.A. Engage, a coalition of more than 500 companies and trade associations — including

Diamond Mills — says that in the last four years alone, the United States has imposed 61 unilateral
economic sanctions and 37 “national emergency” measures against more than three dozen countries.
The coalition, a broad-based group representing business and agricultural interests, contends that
unilateral foreign policy sanctions by the United States cost the country $20 billion and 250,000
export-related jobs a year.

If they're going to use the commodities we produce as a weapon, don't you think there should be at least a little compensation?

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I disagree

Probably 10-12 years ago, when you could get MSA accounts, they were very, very attarctive in Nebraska (can't say that in other States, because I don't know what their regulations were).   Anyway, I could get a $3000 deductable MSA policy per person, with a $4000 deductable for the entire family, for about $1500 a year cheaper than a simple $1000 deductable standard policy.   Since then, I have raised our deductables to $4000 and $5000, and am saving another $600 or so per year, as have lots of other local people.

Guess what, about 7-8 years ago, a couple doctors, who were employed by the 'only' hospital in the region, opened a private clinic, catering towards those with MSA accounts.   They give cash discounts, and pretty much everything that they do, every service they provide, is cheaper than the big Hospital, about 1/4 mile away.   They don't do much for surgery, and they don't have an ER, but they have all the business they want.  

I belive, generally speaking, that when demand for a product is there, sooner or later, entrapeneurs will step up to fill it.

When there were no MSA accounts, just standard insurance, Medicaid, Medicare, and the like, all we had was the one big Hospital.   Now, we have a private clinic less than 1/4 mile from the Hospital, plus a sattelite clinic in two small neighboring towns, that didn't have any private clinics 10 years ago.   There was even talk of building another private clinic, but that went on hold, ever since Obamacare went through.  I think they were waiting for some clarity on what was going to happen before moving forward.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Question:   The way things are now, is there any incentive, to price compare?

If everyone had to pay a portion of their bill, would that not create demand, for a lower-priced general practitioner clinic?
If the demand was there, do you not think some enterprising doctors, might take a risk, and start their own little clinic, instead of just being another cog in the wheel of the big Hospital?

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Hobby, everyone justifies their subsidy in their own way.....your generation , in many cases, never paid any income tax for decades while creating a huge national debt to saddle coming generations. How do you justify this?

What you did pay in for ss and medicare coverage obviously was not actuarially sound, as evidenced by the looming bankruptcy in those entitlement programs.

Myself, I look at farm subsidies as a discount on the current federal income tax I pay. I still pay plenty.