cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: New record

However you are correct there have been many ice ages and higher temps but when those changes happened quickly as they are now with the human caused change bad things happened to many life forms.

Yeah. It causes men to menstruate.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I saw the subject title and thought it was referring to yesterday’s all time highs and the remarkable 11 year bull run (since March 9, 2009) in the DOW, S&P 500, and Nasdaq markets.

Yes indeed friends, these have been some extraordinarily good times we have been living in.

Along these lines, now selling some new global warming fandangos to the next generation of panicky chicken littles may prove to be just another investment opportunity. This would be good. Then again, nothing lasts forever...or does it?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

.......the bad news, you're going to need 4 root canals.

The good news, I'm bonking that hot young hygenist over there.....

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Canuck, the last ice age in the midwest ended 10,000 yrs ago, a mile thick sheet of ice melted very rapidly.   My question is: who are we to say that a mile thick sheet of ice over northern Iowa  isn`t "normal"?  or if "normal" isn`t for Iowa to have Florida like climate?  In 4 billion years, we`ve had both and man caused none of it and certainly didn`t "correct" any of it, whatever correcting it means.  

To be honest about it, Iowa and much of the midwest has had a cooler than normal stretch of temperatures and "weather".   We hear of places around the world where weather is "warmer than normal" (I wish we did) but just because the jet stream pushes "weather" in places above or below normal isn`t something to be Henny Penny about.  

It`s really hard to buy into an expensive, unproven (the man made part) scheme that is disproven nearly every time I open the door.   Brrrrr!

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Pretty BOLD statement to say it "always" follows a rise in temperature.  actual studies show this to be untrue and you can follow the explanation of how studies made 'errors' in calculating that erroneous claim here

https://skepticalscience.com/warming-co2-rise.htm 

The error that Hocker makes - taking the derivative of a time series to remove its long-term trend, then correlating a second data set with this derivative, and finally claiming the second data set explains the long-term trend - is exactly the same errorthat was recently discovered in a prominent "skeptical" paper by McLean 2009.  McLean correlated an index of the El Niño/Southern Oscillation with the first derivative of temperature, while Hocker correlates temperature with the first derivative of CO2concentration.  Perhaps if Hocker were an avid reader of Skeptical Science, he would have been familiar with this error in McLean's analysis and would have avoided repeating it!

What else can be said about this subject?  Well, it is true that the solubility of CO2 in seawater is a function of temperature, and all else being equal, as the ocean warms it will give off CO2 to the atmosphere.  And in fact this is the mechanism by which a CO2feedback amplified the temperature swings during the Pleistocene....  But in today's world, the greatly increased partial pressure of CO2 from fossil fuel emissions causes a flux of CO2 from the atmosphere to the oceans.  This is known from decades of oceanographic surveys that show the oceans are a "sink" rather than a sourceof CO2 in the atmosphere (Takahashi 2009, Sabine 2004).

It's also interesting to note that climate scientists have known for at least three decades that short-term fluctuations in temperature (e.g., those associated with the ENSO cycle) are correlated with short-term fluctuations in the rate of increase of atmospheric CO2 (Bacastow and Keeling 1981).  Section 7.3.2.4 of the IPCC AR4 Working Group 1 report discusses this in some detail.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Doesn't need to be even remotely true- just needs to sound kinda smart and/or show a sufficient amount of condescension to the AGW Hoax.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Weather BA, not climate 

Our mild winter of 2019-20 with almost no snow in the snow belt counters your cold and global averages last year were warmer than average.

If you are interested in facts about climate change instead of beliefs check this

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

The Earth's climate has changed throughout history. Just in the last 650,000 years there have been seven cycles of glacial advance and retreat, with the abrupt end of the last ice age about 11,700 years ago marking the beginning of the modern climate era — and of human civilization. Most of these climate changes are attributed to very small variations in Earth’s orbit that change the amount of solar energy our planet receives.

The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20thcentury and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia.1

Earth-orbiting satellites and other technological advances have enabled scientists to see the big picture, collecting many different types of information about our planet and its climate on a global scale. This body of data, collected over many years, reveals the signals of a changing climate.

The heat-trapping nature of carbon dioxide and other gases was demonstrated in the mid-19th century.2 Their ability to affect the transfer of infrared energy through the atmosphere is the scientific basis of many instruments flown by NASA. There is no question that increased levels of greenhouse gases must cause the Earth to warm in response.

Ice cores drawn from Greenland, Antarctica, and tropical mountain glaciers show that the Earth’s climate responds to changes in greenhouse gas levels. Ancient evidence can also be found in tree rings, ocean sediments, coral reefs, and layers of sedimentary rocks. This ancient, or paleoclimate, evidence reveals that current warming is occurring roughly ten times faster than the average rate of ice-age-recovery warming.3

Graph

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Canuck when you say "we had a mild winter 2019-2020" YOU are exactly talking about WEATHER.....that isn`t climate.  Here in NC Iowa we had -10ºF yesterday morning and it didn`t get above zero all day and now it`s single digits above zero.  In the next week, we will be below zero a number of nights and single digits above....just like when I was a kid.  We have days below zero EVERY year, just like we always have.  My twenty something kids only saw 100º in Iowa summer one time and that was in May of 2013 about 10 days after a May 2nd 1 foot snow storm (something I`ve never seen that late in spring).   When I was a kid, there would be several days in the summers above 100ºF...not anymore!  

Yes yes I know I know "You just know!!!"   damn right I just know and I live in this sh-t and freeze my you know what`s off.    It`s damned cold in Iowa, no getting around it.   But I get it, they take average temperatures and the night time temps are supposedly warmer, therefore the "average temps" aren`t reflective of the cold.   And Australia and Africa get hot and perhaps break records with their WEATHER.   I`ve lived in Iowa over 50 years and there are very few days out of the year that I`m not cold.   And my thyroid is good, it`s just a damned cold state. 

My point is and I have several, tricks are played with recording AVERAGE temperatures especially global.  You can put thermometers where ever you want to prove your case.  Science and history tells us the earth has had very extreme temperatures in 4 billion years.  Human accurate records only go back 150 yrs...again, how do we know what "normal" is???

Let`s say man is causing temperatures to rise (I don`t see it, but quite few of you do believe it)  first of all great!  bring on the warmth!  How many people freeze too death verses die from the heat?   Do you think maybe there are too many people on earth and perhaps Mother earth is purging some of them off?  And look at the carbo pollution that developing countries like China are causing.   The US is doing way more than our share cleaning up the environment.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

So 'Mother earth' is a god now to be purging people off.

You should check how many people die every year from heat as opposed to cold.

My understanding is based on facts and your denying is based on beliefs 

Cold records are fewer all the time while high records are set much more often.

graph

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

What % of the warming is because of man? What % of the warming is because of the sun?