cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Newt win or media statement??

Was the vote in SC a discovery of newt(or a home crowd),  or was it a general statement on media and being told what to think??

Newt ought to pay cnn for that opening question in the debate.

17 Replies
KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Re: Newt win or media statement??

Media may have had something to do with it, but the candidates themselves make the news - such as the tax return thing. They will broadcast anything about anyone.I think Newt's negative ads are to blame for Rpmney's downfall and Paul helped it along too. We don't get to see these regional/local ads on TV and hear the ones on radio, but SC people did.

Newt gave a sign of how he won in his acceptance speech when he said he won out against "big money." Go figure? Big money? When was any Republican against that? He has also talked about Romney being the "wrong kind of capitalist." Ragardless, Romney has crossed a sort of disconnect line when he was revealed to consider $375K in speaker fees as chump change, makes $10K bets in debates, calls himself unemployed, pays less taxes than the average voter, has offshore accounts and is known to make multi millions in a business painted to destroy jobs rather than create them. True the media reported on some of these things, but Newt and the others were yelling it on the streets, mail and TV/Radio ads.

I also think there is a North/South disconnect going on in SC. Newt is a good ole boy and Romney is 100% yankee. That means something to average folks in the South. Then there was the "conservative" thing and Newt beats Romney on that record.

I am shocked more about what these guys are saying about each other, which pales to anything the Media could point out and gives them tremendous fodder to report.

Personally, I hope Romney comes back.

johnaa
Advisor

"I think Newt's negative ads are to blame for Rpmney's downfall and Paul helped it along too."  What puzzles me is why you say "Paul helped it along too". 

I've read a number of thing critical of Paul for NOT attacking Oromney.  What?

For instance---

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/ron-paul-defends-romney-lashes-out-at-his-critics-they-dont-have-the...

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Knapper, no doubt all the negative ads on Romney have not helped him but I still think one of his biggest liabilities is his own record.   Romney has a history of flip flopping on some very important issues such abortion, TARP, illegal immigration and health care reform to name just a few.  I believe this causes a great many voters concern and to question just where Romney stands on the important issues of the day. 

r3020
Senior Advisor

Romney is a liberal. Though not as much of a liberal as Obama non of his plans or policies will reverse the size of government, just reduce the speed at which it is growing.

Newt does at least have some fiscal reductions to point at which took place while he was speaker. He was big on block grants to the states taking some of the power from Washington and returning them to the states.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

It's official

"Romney is a liberal." I just had to repeat it.

Now I am wondering what being a liberal means in this day and age. Must cover a WIDE range of political ideology.

wehav
Senior Contributor

I will vote for whoever runs against Obama but none of the candidates are likeable.  Once again I'm voting against rather than for. 

Romney  too liberal

Gingrich too liberal and too unstable

Paul an isolationist libertarian

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Here`s the funny thing we`ve all known that Newt is just a Conservative "Bill Clinton" and Romney is the high school kid that drives a new Corvette and spends Christmas break skiing in Vail.  What about Michele Bachmann?  She`s got no skeletons in her closet, she walks the walk...oh I know she flubbed up once and didn`t know who was buried in Grant`s tomb, Obama has made much worse flubs ..but sorry Michele under the bus with you!  Tim Pawlenty, we gave him the bum`s rush at the Iowa straw poll.  I supported Ron Paul but with people like me he`s only going to get 20% on a good day. ....Newt`s a son of a B!tch, but he`s our son of a Bltch.

sw363535
Honored Advisor

Got a good chuckle on that one BA.

Not my terms but some accuracy involved.  

I am probably as conservatively neutral as anyone on this forum, and tend to get pretty wet when the political hackers start markin their territory.  but I'll give you my take on Bachmann.

Inexperience----for the most part.  A fairly short time in the house means you have not represented very many folks yet and she doesnt have that much of a private sector resume to compensate.

Also the family values positions ---IMO---- is an unelectable position.  It alienates too many people and I think a winning position is one where government stays away from telling us how to live.  We want to see some dignity in leadership, show us you love your family, but if you think you can improve the moral character of the masses from a public office forget my vote.  

I want to worship as I choose and define my own marriage.  If we want responsible citizens we have to stop taking away their responsibility.

Congress has been trying to improve and change social structure for 40+ years and it is time for it to stop.  Not change direction.

It's not congresses job its our job.

just my opinion---------I got my goggles on.

Papa Wheelie
Senior Contributor

Romney's religion played heavily into the equation. 

Favorite son wins against a Yankee with a different religion than 'round these parts.