cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Night of the Long Knives

Picking my way through a chapter or so at a time of In the Garden of Beasts (Larsen) about the experiences of the US ambassador and his family in Berlin in the 30s.

The event referenced was the point when the Hitler consolidated power within the various factions that were part of the coalition. The SA (brownshirts) were the populist paramilitary wing and had probably been most essential to his rise to that point. But they, and their leader Ernst Rohm, were feeling their oats and looking to expand authority over the other players- the SS, Gestapo and regular military.

At the same time, a speech critical of the regime by Vice Chancellor von Papen the constituitonal conservative wing (referred to as leftists by the Nazis) had brought about a great wave of hope among the people that someone would stand up against Hitler.

In three nights in the summer of 1934, that all came to and end. A thousand or so persons were executed, including Rohm and von Papen's speechwriter (he was thought to be protected by Hindenberg) and Nazi power becme absolute.

The conclusion that leads me to is fairly obvious. While populist militia movements (something must be done!!!) may be necessary to bring a strongman to power, in the end they won't be at the table.

The pros always win.

13 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Night of the Long Knives

True, but the intellectuals are the ones that have the biggest "bang" and longest lasting "imprints" on the face of human benchmarks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Robert_Oppenheimer

The next "big one" will involve biological developments. The "pros" always have their way, for a while, but the intellectuals always outlast them.
Advisor

Hey, just wondering.

You don't happen to be a REX 84 guy for Iowa, do you?

Don't know if it's even called that any more although much has been made of the fact that the executive orders have been extended into the present.. I did happen to know a guy who was part of Indiana's contingent back in Ollie's day.

As I said, just wondering and also kind of curious if anybody knows if they have cable in the re-education camps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_84

Veteran Advisor

No..., what do you know about this? Are you connected with a " Mr. Big" One-World-Order movement ?
Advisor

I thought you said we'd already had the coup?
Advisor

I'm a political orphan, somewhat more likely that I'd be a target than asked to participate.

Interesting, though, that the current executive orders on continuity of government launch from that point. The post 9-11 Halliburton no-bid contract on the detention camps merely completed  the infrastructure that Ollie's plans anticipated.

Sorta what has to happen when you have guys like Ollie tasked to run rogue and think stuff up, or more accurately act on the musings of the deep state thinky tanky underworld.

I suppose my friend was a pretty good candidate for our state provisional  shadow government- stauch republican politician, military reservist etc. Can't recall if he explained exactly how he came to be in that position and since he is deceased it is too late to ask.

Advisor

Well, if you want to stretch the analogy I'd say we're post-Reichstag Fire, pre-Long Knives.

Veteran Advisor

I have become a firm believer that our government has become mostly a façade and the true power resides with a shadowy, unseen force that has evil designs and goals as a mission. I am also a believer that there are very smart people that will do everything imaginable to destroy this shadowy, unseen Nazi-like power and try to restore our Republic to its intended Constitutional purpose.
Veteran Advisor

I would agree. This time, however, the assassinations will be made to look like accidents, ala "Paul Wellstone".
Advisor

I've mused over some possible vague sightings of a Dark Angel/Light Angel battle ongoing in the underworld.

Although it seems like a tough game when one side has the capacity to monitor all communications etc.

Which at minimum tends to prove that there are Dark Angels who fear someone, because otherwise, WTF ?