cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

No fly zone . Its about time. Thanks Hillary! At least you have some .... Well you know

It may be too late to keep him from regaining full power, but maybe some of the Rebels won't get killed in a massacre now.

If only Obama would have acted sooner. And yes you morons.... He steped up the pressure yesterday behind the scenes, and magically it happened today. The US has power to stop these things if we intervene and flex some muscle. 

And what were you guys saying?

schnurrbart

"When do we draw the line on rushing to put our young men and women in harm's way for people who don't want us around and many don't even want us to breathe?  We are already spending almosteverything we have over there and we have people right here who are losing everything they have.  Arizona is getting ready to take away health care from over 100000 Arizona residents."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51515.html

Clinton has made similar “I’m not here forever” comments before – but it was the timing of her remarks to CNN on Wednesday that raised eyebrows, coming at a critical moment in her fierce internal battle to push President Barack Obama to join the fight to liberate Libya from Muammar Qadhafi.

Clinton’s position was vindicated early Thursday evening when the United Nations Security Council - at the urging of the United States - approved a resolution authorizing “all necessary measures” to protect Libyan civilians, including a no-fly zone. U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice told reporters that such a move could involve direct attacks on pro-Qadhafi forces now bearing down on the rebel stronghold of Benghazi in eastern Libya.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0311/51515.html#ixzz1GuF6Hw3C

8 Replies
Advisor

Re: No fly zone . Its about time. Thanks Hillary! At least you have some .... Well you know

I don't know what distant part of Lala Land you live in, but it's far far from reality.  First of all the USA does not possess the magical power you Lala Landers imagine, did you miss what happened in Yugoslavia, Iran, Afghanistan.  Remember that idiot being flown out to the aircraft carrier and celebrating "Mission Accomplished"???  It is still far from accomplished today.  The USA has not intervened in any military action by lonesome 65 for over 65 years save the ridiculous Hollywood stunts of Ronny Raygun in Granada and Panama.   It took months to organize UN coalitions for misadventures of from Bush, Cinton, Shrub, for instances. 

You seem to have missed the news over the last month.   In the beginning the Libyan Rebels said they did not want foreign intervention, which at that time would have seen by many Libyans as another imperialist attack and those army units would not have joined the opposition and fought against the USA.   At that time the situation in Egypt was uncertain, the Arab League only gave their consent for the No Fly BS 5 days ago and other European Nations, like Italy, Germany, Russia and China was holding out until the butcher's raving about terrorist campaign the last few days 

Advisor

Re: No fly zone . Its about time. Thanks Hillary! At least you have some .... Well you know

All that said, your position is classical "Lib", intervening in foreign nations affairs, not a real conservative's position.  I thought you claim to be a 'conservative'.    

In principal I oppose this intervention, and hope beyond experience it does not result in another Tar Baby War of colonial occupation.  I wish the good citizens of Libya success in establishing a democratic form of self rule,  Liberty and Justice, however I believe they will have another dictator forced upon them.

Senior Contributor

I also have severe reservations about having the U.S. get militarily involved in yet another Middle east country.   If anything this is something that the U.N. should do with U.N. forces including participation from Libya neighbors as opposed to having the U.S. running the show and providing most of the weapons and manpower.

It may sound cruel to say but I think freedom won by people under a dictator like Qadhafi through a hard and bloody struggle may be more prized and respected then one won by military intervention from other countries.

I don't knon if there is a "correct" decision on having the U.N. get involved or not but do think there is a definite wrong decision and that would be to wait until Qadhafi has already butchered and killed most of those opposing him before finally deciding to step in and impose a no fly zone after Qadhafi has retaken the country.  Either stay out completely which is the route I am leaning towards or respond quickly to help try to avert the loss of lives for those opposing the dictator.

Advisor

This has all been handled quite well in D.C. in response to horrifc, but predictable conditions.

Good to see the U.N. and the folks in the neighborhood responding as they are.  see that Momar called off the hounds once the NFZ resolution went through. Good.

Not so sure how we got this label as first responder to the world? Might be that we have business interests who profit greatly from the empty casings and burned out and burned up equipment, but who"d ever be so cynical as to think that?

Libya is different than Egypt and some of the other places as it's so much more like Iraq than those other places are. Sadaam Hussien and Momar Qadaffi were creatures of our own making. Like the Shah of Iran.

Sometimes  I think if the west had made Israel tone down and take on some humility back in 1956 when the first really major regional conflict broke out alot of this would have been much better today. But if you look back at that war you'll be likely to find that it was U.K. energy interests, massive..massive..massively endowed war profiteers coming out of WW2 who were calling the shots nearly everywhere in the free and colonial world and that base of operation in Israel was strategicly coveted and valued. Religion had very little to do with it until there had been a generation or two of effective pandering and PR coinciding with the rise of the end timesthumper element in the U.S......up until then the primarily Germanic evangelical denominations and sects f'in HATED Jews. Jenkins and Lehaye, Robertson and Falwell etal somehow got that flip flopped.

We might look back some day and be grateful for the Soviets. World wide communism was never going to happen, but there's is no gaurantee that world wide corporate fascism can't.  Maybe those Bolshoviks bought us some time to get it right, which we likely won't.

Senior Contributor

Ironically if you were to look up the various statistics of the society of Libya while that crazy Mo-mar has been in charge(hint:C I A factbook), everybody would or should close their mouth and discontinue the intervention BS, because he alone advanced that society or the Libyan people by many multiples, even better than what Saddam did for Iraq. But, both those countries have oil and the PTB don't like that oil and it's corresponding infrastructure being nationalized.

Just look at how the Brits(Blair) conveniently looked the other way(and Bush did too) about terrorism when oil got involved in the equation.

Veteran Advisor

Bruce, good synopsis of the transformation of the German anti-Semitic to the "God's Chosen People"  rah rah supporters of today. Isn't it amazing what advertising and strategically placed money can do?

If you ever run across an article or book that goes into this in detail, please let me know. I have a minister that I would love to share this with since I do not think he realizes how he and his colleagues have been played like a fiddle on this.

Advisor

Maybe you could just pose what we are discussing and ask him to produce teh evidence otherwise..He's teh trained academic. We are just dumb farmers.

As for a book, I'd be surprised if he hadn't read the Jenkins-Lehaye series, or some of it.  I've had lots of evangelicals recommend The Turner Diaries to me. Maybe he's familiar with that book.

Serious as heck about the book I recommended to nox as a good read. Check the amazon reader reviews and you'll see that it's not necessarily a liberal or lefty piece. The writer is a gun supporter who has a great deal of affection for the people of his family and his home town that he writes about. It was an exhilerating, quick read:

http://www.amazon.com/Deer-Hunting-Jesus-Dispatches-Americas/dp/030733936X

Senior Contributor

What if the replacemet ends up being worse?  Why does everyone always assume that things turn out better when a dictator is overthrown.  Look at all the goofballs over the years we've supported with money and arms that turned around and stabbed us in the back.  If France and England want in this fight, let them be.