cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

No need to scratch your head, we hate Kimmel

...and I hated all the damned Oscar nominated movies.  I wasn`t going to watch the damned show and all the whining ..."Oh boo hoo hoo  feel sorry for me, because _________ and I don`t like the president!" .   Stew in you soup Hollywood!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/oscars/oscar-ratings-down-double-digits-as-viewership-hits-all-time...   

The Oscar ratings doom and gloom was foreshadowed by the first numbers to come in this morning. The ceremony drew a paltry 18.9 Live+Same Day rating in the metered market households, an all-time low and down 16% from last year’s 22.4 rating, which was a nine-year low. The metered market total, which did not include ratings for the Boston TV market due to the severe weather conditions there, was well below the previous Oscars low ratings point, logged with the 2008 telecast (21.9), hosted by Jon Stewart, when No Country For Old Men won Best Picture.

The drop is big — the Oscars had never fallen below 32 million viewers and 21 metered markets household rating before, forcing pundits to scratch their heads. One explanation — the Oscars rubber stamped winners who already had swept the awards shows that preceded it, making for one of the most predictable Academy Awards ceremony in years. Some pointed to the length of the show, which again flirted with the 4-hour mark, others to the ubiquitous montages, the overall modest box-office performance of the movies nominated for best picture and the injection of politics/social issues into the speeches. However, most if not all of these factors were also present the last couple of years when the numbers were higher. And the Oscars’ strongest competition, AMC’s The Walking Dead, was actually a more potent ratings performer in years past. 

Hollywood, how `bout leaving the preaching for Sunday, make good movies again and can Kimmel?

Here are the final viewership totals for the Academy Awards so far this century, what won Best Picture that year and who hosted:

2018 26.5 million, The Shape of Water (Jimmy Kimmel)

2017 32.9 million, Moonlight (Jimmy Kimmel)

2016 34.4 million, Spotlight (Chris Rock)

2015 37.3 million, Birdman (Neil Patrick Harris)

2014 43.7 million, 12 Years a Slave (Ellen DeGeneres)

2013 40.3 million, Argo (Seth MacFarlane)

2012 39.3 million, The Artist (Billy Crystal)

2011 37.9 million, The King’s Speech (Anne Hathaway/James Franco)

2010 41.3 million, The Hurt Locker (Steve Martin/Alec Baldwin)

2009 36.3 million, Slumdog Millionaire (Hugh Jackman)

2008 32.0 million, No Country For Old Men (Jon Stewart)

2007 40. 2 million, The Departed (Ellen DeGeneres)

2006 38.9 million, Crash (Jon Stewart)

2005 42.1 million, Million Dollar Baby (Chris Rock)

2004 43.5 million, The Lord Of The Rings: The Return of the King (Billy Crystal)

2003 33.0 million, Chicago (Steve Martin)

2002 41.8 million, A Beautiful Mind (Whoopi Goldberg)

2001 42.9 million, Gladiator (Steve Martin)

9 Replies
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Re: No need to scratch your head, we hate Kimmel

I thought you Repulsives had shed yourselves of hate. Looks like the blood is coming out of you eyes, out of your - somewhere....

You can run, but can’t shake the truth of how much pent up anger you actually have - get some help, before you shoot up a truck stop that you think has too many damn democrats in it.

Tick Tock(MF)..... BONGx10!!!!!!!!!!

Jen
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Or a theatre - maybe a truck stop theatre.

Jen
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

What Jimmy needs

The piece of work needs to stop in some red neck bar and spew his stuff and get the treatment that he has been asking for. He could bring along a couple of fools from here, too, and they could enjoy the old fashioned party, too, but my two cents says that when push came to shove, they would all get pretty quiet. Not much gets me riled up anymore, but that Jimmy is one piece of work, along with that Colbert fool. A good chunk of America just tunes them out and the Oscars are a joke these days.

What was up with having rapist Kobe on, and sharing the stage with those three Me2 women? Have the fools actually no sense of what is going on in their own world, let alone the rest of the USA? I never saw it, but that is what I heard and I would believe they are that out to lunch.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Do you have a reflection in a mirror?  Jimmy is either a willing or unwilling proselyte, perhaps made a deal with a demon to further his career, not uncommon in Hollywood.  A lot of hollow eyed, dead souls in the seats at the academy awards show. 

r3020
Senior Advisor

Harassment is no problem when done by a progressive. I see Kobe Bryant even got a Hollywood award.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Over the weekend I was in a group that was talking about the "50 Shades" movies (I`ve never seen any of them0.  But they were making a interesting point that the bondage or whatever in the movie that has many all wild would not be tolerated if the lead character was a poor man, he would be labeled as a "sick twisted individual".   And we see that with Michael Jackson too, he was accused and didn`t strongly deny and there was evidence that he did bad things to kids...well if Jackson wasn`t rich and paid off parents, if it was probably anyone else, they would be locked up and the key thrown away......"but but he was the King of Pop!".   There definitely are two sets of "rules" one for the rich and one for the poor, Harvey Weinstein being an exception to the rule....but I have theories on that.

bruce MN
Advisor

There are a lot more things to do than go spend money to watch movies. More people went when it cost less and there were less options for what to do. It’s like a good friend and neighbor woman said about the family of 9 kids that she cane from re. She was the youngest, born in the mid-40s. As for her rather highly prolific Mom and Dad....”They didn’t have TV”. Read someone who said that Oscar viewership was probably down as much as anything because so many potential viewers were using their TV or other device to watch a movie.

I think the ratings discussions have grossly overrated politics. But for sure, as it has always been, arts are always about culture. We watched and found it interesting that there was more talk about a movie currently playing, out too late for this award cycle, than about any of the movies that were nominated or honored.

You say you hated the nominated movies. How many of them did you actually view? We saw a number of them. FWIW they got them pretty much right, although I was pulling for 3 Billboards. One of the better movies I’ve seen in a while. If you have Netflix or some movie service you need to see Get Out.
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Seen any 'demons' around lately BA?

What kind of deals are they offering?

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Local commentators on radio discussing the Oscars and lower #'s watching were pointing out that the numbers did not include those who streamed it on their computers.

I wondered why that would not be included as I thought it would be easier to get a good number from the sites streaming it.

The other comment was that many watch the highlights that they might be interested in from clips that are posted on YouTube as well as other sites. Clips that usually are the most entertaining without having to wade through the boring.

BTW I do not and have not watched the Oscars, just not my thing. I get some of the highlights on news and it is all I need, indeed often more than I need.