Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Not necessarily political..just interesting

10 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Not necessarily political..just interesting

I have to disagree, the only thing today we have in common with 1910 America is in name only.  Big cities weren`t dangerous places, that was before the Federal Reserve and before the 16th amendment that made income tax permanent. Among just about everything else.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Barone must get a check from the same corporists that funded the Clintons. 

24-7, borders open, holidays and weekends, too!

Good read, but the comments are a better read.

hardnox
Advisor

While all analogies are deeply flawed, I've been thinking more about 1928. Most of the conditions he notes continued then but the whole world, including the US was in a dark mood- although we expressed it in a uniquely American way- nativism and a huge get rich quick stock bubble while the conditions of most stagnated.

There had been a major financial crisis in the early 20s but we'd fixed that.

Now we're just deciding who gets to be Hoover.

hardnox
Advisor

"big cities weren't dangerous places."

Ah that halcyon past that never existed.

El Donaldo, and Disneyland.

bruce MN
Advisor

"Not dangerous" as documented by noted non-fiction writer Upton Sinclair 

OKdon
Senior Contributor

Did you watch the GODFATHER saga?

You are remembering a nirvana that didn't exist.

hardnox
Advisor

Sorta speaks volumes regarding the Zinn discussion.

bruce MN
Advisor

No coincidence thatcher red hot book "The End of History" came out right in the middle of the "New Democrat" hard shift to the right.  Not sure I have been as negstively affected by anything in years as I was by Hillary Clinton saying yesterday that she would put Bill in charge of "fixing the economy".   All I could thing of was NAFTA, welfare reform, repeal of Glass-Stegal etc etc    

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Don, you probably think that the last 7 years was on the road to nirvana....and you`d a gotten away with it too if it wasn`t for the meddling Republicans and that dog! 

I`ve seen real nirvana, the Democrats weren`t so nuts on destroying the country and preoccupied with "zipper issues",  they would actually work WITH the Republicans at that time...the year was 1982!

1910 probably wasn`t nirvana, however hindsight being 20/20, there were many generations since and each one doing better than the former.  They at least had hope then, i`m sure most were sure that the republic would last another 100 years.  But today "...the republic, for which it stands..." will not last another 100 years....unless the Zika virus thins the herd out very harshly and selectively.