cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Not sayin''...just wondering

Guessing that we all might be interested in what any others of us have to say in response to this:

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/04/cornel-west-obama-is-for-big-business-not-the-jobless.html

I was taken by the observatoin that starts at about 1:38. What everybody very likely knows that somebody has finally said.

54 Replies
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: Not sayin''...just wondering

I'm thinking that it could be that he is trying to help and reach ALL Americans and, maybe this is very cynical, but, if he goes all out to make sure young African-Americans find work, at possibly to the detriment of young white Americans, the right will crucify him worse than they already do.  The job is totally thankless and being the first black to reach this spot puts him in the worst of all positions.  IMHO.

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: being a muslim dont help much

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

if the premise is that if AIG should get the money, why should not the brothers and sisters in the hood get some, too....well, how can you argue with Mr. West?

I don't believe more government is the answer, here, just like it wasn't for the problems self created by AIG, Citi, and their brethren, either.

Government and more jobs programs, right? Somehow we have to get up to that 100% threshold. 50% just is  not enough.

Maybe we need to create a better climate for manufacturing in the USA. Maybe that is the answer, not WPA type short term jobs which would seem a dead end, dutchboy finger in the hole in the dike solution .

as for , does Obama try to reassure white America?, I would hope he would try to be the president of white America, too. I think the guy tries to please everyone, and is a very complicated psychological study. Someday, historians will study him and his predecessor and I would bet they find Bush Jr. a whole lot easier to figure out.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Bruce, did you check out the comments at the C. West video site?  There were several interesting comments such as these three in a row which seem to reflect a growing apathy.

• F. Beard says:

The dream dies hard. Tertium Squid

I never had the dream; I wrote in Ron Paul in 2008. Still I had hope for Obama; at least he wasn’t McCain.

• James says:

Still I had hope for Obama; at least he wasn’t McCain.

Faint praise that. Still feel so good about your decision? Me neither.

• Jojo says:

I think many more people are disappointed in Obama because our expectations were so high after 8 years of Bush.

OTOH, McCain would have been plain awful. But then we would have expected that.

Here is an interesting take on it from one guy. 
Craig A. Jenkins says:

Mr. Obama became president at a crucial moment in our history. The “Great Recession” of 2007-2009 was the second great failure of essentially laizze faire capitalism of the last 70 years. Clearly, the business of America needed to be done differently.

Rather than leave consumers to be preyed upon by business entities, a new partnership was needed. The false dichotomoy of management v. labor no longer works, especially not for the working people of America. Instead, management must recognize “labor” is not just the hands who make the products or provide the services, but are also the consumers who comprise the domestic market which businesses need to survive and to thrive.

Mr. Obama, by linking his future to the very interests who caused the recession, has not only squandered this moment of history, but set-up the nation for even bigger failures in the future by not reining in the banks and other institutions which nearly burned the world’s economy to the ground. The corosive effect of money in national politics, which will only get worse as corporations pursue their new found freedom to support candidates after the Citizens United decision, means money talks and the concerns of the generally poorer public are secondary concerns at best.

This would be class warfare if the middle and working classes resisted the tide of the monied classes. Sadly, we are not. Yet.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

I agree with Mr. Jenkins. However, his biggest failure was his naivity. He actually thought he could win support from the right. Thus he has capitulated on most issues by thinking he could win political favor by not being contentious. You don't go to a gun fight with a knife and you sure as heck don't check the knife at the door on the way in.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

The right wants every one to have ajob. One that pays $2 per hour.

Hawken Cougar
Senior Contributor

Hawken Cougar
Senior Contributor

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Do you NOT try to save money?